The Autumn school holidays are always lots of fun and this year the holidays start on Saturday 9 April and finish on Monday 25 April 2022 (ANZAC Day).
Autumn school holiday major events to look forwards to include Easter (Friday 15 April to Monday 18 April 2022) and the Melbourne International Comedy Festival (Wednesday 30 March to Sunday 24 April 2022).
Here's my list of activities and events in Melbourne CBD during the Autumn School Holidays 2022 (Here are school holiday activities in Melbourne's suburbs). If you're looking specifically for Easter events then here's what happening for Easter in Melbourne.
Featured Event #1
In the mood for an epic adventure?
Amazing Co’s Great City Adventure: Melbourne Edition is a 2-3 hour out-of-this-world experience perfect for those who LOVE adventure, surprises and games!
The customisable experience can be tailor-made to fit an enjoyable family day out or an action-packed day across Melbourne filled with a range of fun and challenging activities for your kids and their friends.
Some adventures you can look out for are virtual reality experiences, bowling, location-based challenges, a sweet treat, and much more!
Great City Adventure: Melbourne Edition is suitable for families and kids aged 8-13 and is up for a limited time during the Autumn school holidays.
autumn school holidays Melbourne CBD – Table of contents
School Holidays 2022 Melbourne – Week 1
- The LUME (until Thu 30 Jun) – Immerse yourself in the work of Van Gogh at Australia's digital art gallery.
- Melbourne International Comedy Festival (Wed 30 Mar – Sun 24 Apr) – comedy events for kids include The Very Big Laugh Out Loud Federation Square.
- Imaginaria (until Mon 25 Apr) – Fully interactive bespoke sounds, scents and lights activate in response to your movement as you walk, slide and glide through the dreamlike landscapes. Walk into a giant inflatable bubble, navigate a futuristic light maze or jump into a cosmic abyss. Imaginaria review
- Ramadan Immigration Museum (Fri 1 Apr – Fri 29 Apr) – Throughout the month of Ramadan drop in and make your own geometric tile and add it to our growing mosque. During the school holidays join us for multilingual storytime sessions, followed by lantern-making workshops on Wednesday 13 and 20 April at 11am.
- Peppa Pig's Aquarium Adventure (Fri 1 Apr – Fri 20 May) – Join Peppa Pig on her Aquarium Adventure at SEA LIFE Melbourne these school holidays. Visit between 1 April and 20 May to collect your free Peppa Pig activity booklet, meet Peppa and snap a “pig-ture”.
- Room on the Broom (Sat 9 Apr – Mon 11 Apr) – A helpful dog, bird and frog find the witch’s lost things, and they all hop on the broom for a ride. But this broom sticks not meant for five and – CRACK – the broom snaps in two! Room on the Broom review.
- Comedy Club for Kids Arts Centre Melbourne (Sat 9 Apr – Sun 24 Apr) – From stand-up and sketch to musical comedy and circus skills, the show features the best of the funniest best street and stage performers. Laughs a-plenty promised for everyone!
- The Listies Arts Centre Melbourne (Sat 9 Apr – Sun 24 Apr) – Make Some Noise! is the Listies' brand-new musical comedy show for kids aged 4 – 400.
- The Greatest Magic Show Arts Centre Melbourne (Sat 9 Apr – Sun 24 Apr) – Sam and Justin will be once again hitting the stage with brand new illusions direct from a Las Vegas stage!
- Children Are Stinky Arts Centre Melbourne (Sat 9 Apr – Sun 24 Apr) – Expect daredevil stunts, incredible acrobatics, lighting fast hula hoops, loads of laughs and lots of fun, leaving adults and children with their jaws on the floor hooting for more.
- All Star Circus Arts Centre Melbourne (Sat 9 Apr – Sun 24 Apr) – World class circus talent performing backflips and one arm handstands, incredible human pyramids, spinning in giant wheels and more awesome feats by an award-winning cast.
- Splash Test Dummies Arts Centre Melbourne (Sat 9 Apr – Sun 24 Apr) – With a brilliant array of catch-your-breath stunt work, dazzling acrobatics, dexterous juggling and side-splitting, slapstick comedy, the Dummies are ready to roll out their beach towels and spring into an exciting hour of circus-filled hilarity for the whole family.
- Melbourne Skydeck School Holiday Special (Sat 9 Apr – Sun 24 Apr) – see the best views over Melbourne and join in on some awesome multi-sensory virtual and augmented reality experiences!
- Barbie Extra High Tea (Mon 11 April – Fri 22 Apr) – Be Bold, Be You, Be Extra! Get excited as Barbie is coming to Melba Restaurant for the school holidays. Let the little ones enjoy treats inspired by Barbie as well as receive a special gift to take home. Read the review
- ArtPlay (Sun 3 Apr – Thu 21 Apr) – at home and face to face art workshops for kids 4+ years.
- Fed Kidz (Sat 9 Apr – Fri 24 Apr) – workshops, activities, big-screen gaming, live shows, family films and more!
- Fantasia (Sat 9 Apr) – Be swept away in a night of musical magic from one of Disney’s most extraordinary and groundbreaking animated features, in concert live to film.
- School Holidays at NGV (Mon 11 Apr – Tue 12 Apr) – Join teens at one of the free art-making workshops held at NGV. During the workshop, you can tour the Who Are You exhibition with the NGV Teen Council to gather inspiration and then illustrate a set of paper stickers that highlight your interests and who you are.
- Kids Holiday Workshop – Stencil Street Art (Tue 12 Apr) – an introductory workshop to spray-painting. Kids will design and create their own stencil that they will cut from acetate and use basic freehand skills and stencilling techniques that they will use to spray-paint a canvas that they will get to keep.
- School holidays at Queen Victoria Market (Tue 12 Apr – Thu 21 Apr) – bring the kids to meet the Easter bunny, explore the Market with our all-new Kids Passport or take part in our FREE kids school holiday activities.
- Day at the Museum: Minus18 Youth Hangout (Wed 13 Apr) – Join us at Melbourne’s Immigration Museum to explore the Becoming You exhibition (all day, free!), meet the Minus18 Young Leaders and get drawing (all day, free!) and even get around an Abbey Rich craft workshop (limited spaces, $5 per person).
- Kids Holiday Workshop – Freehand Street Art (Wed 13 Apr & Thu 21 Apr) – A freehand workshop that offers an exclusive chance to learn a variety of spraypainting techniques from a renowned street artist right here at the famous Blender Studios.
- Magic and Medicine Masterclass (Thu 14 Apr) – Join us in this special workshop to discover ancient herbal medicine and magic that was used by ancient Greeks to learn about diseases, ward off illness and keep their homes clean.
- Clothes Revival Workshop with Abbey Rich Immigration Museum (Thu 14 Apr) – Artist Abbey Rich will teach you how to use bright colours, found objects, stamps and brushes to print and paint designs onto fabric.
- The Story of the Moving Image (open daily) – Journey through the past, present and future of the moving image through interactive experiences, digital innovation and captivating stories. ACMI review.
- Melbourne Library Service (Mon 11 Apr – Fri 22 Apr) – classes, workshops performances and stories.
- Twilight Market (Sat 16 Apr) – Join for a lovely range of food, specialty stalls, live music, kids' entertainment, and lots of family fun as you stroll along the Promenade.
- MPavilion (until Sat 24 Apr) – free events including talks, workshops, performances, family-friendly experiences, community projects and installations, and more.
- The Gecko and the Mermaid NGV (until Mon 25 Apr) – NGV's summer’s kids exhibition introduces two significant contemporary Yolŋu artists from North-East Arnhem Land to our youngest of visitors. The Gecko and the Mermaid review
- Melbourne Street Eatz (until Mon 25 Apr) – food trucks, games, entertainment open Thursday to Sunday.
- Pond[er] NGV (until Sun 28 Aug) A beautiful architectural installation, replete with a pink pond evocative of Australia’s inland salt lakes, has been selected as the winner of the NGV’s 2021 Architecture Commission in the Grollo Equiset Garden at NGV International. NGV Pink Pond review
- Kids Passport Queen Victoria Market (Friday, Saturday & Sundays) – Collect your passport, then journey around the Market collecting stamps from our friendly traders, before making your way to the Queen Victoria Market Visitor Hub to claim your prize.
- Melbourne Book Market (Saturdays & Sundays) – curated collection of more than 5,000 new and pre-loved titles selected and presented by 15 of Melbourne’s most experienced booksellers.
- Old Melbourne Gaol Cluedo Experience (Fri 2 Apr – Sun 18 Apr) – Become inmates on a mission to hatch the perfect escape plan. Solve the riddles, find the clues, and keep your eyes out for the guards! Old Melbourne Gaol review.
- Shrine Kids (ongoing program) – free discovery trail for children at the Shrine of Remembrance. Shrine Kinds review
School Holidays Melbourne CBD – Week 2
- Selected week 1 events run across both weeks.
- School Holidays at NGV (Tue 19 Apr – Fri 22 Apr) – Spend these school holidays at the NGV nurturing your child’s creativity and love of art.
- The Playground (Thu 21 Apr – Sun 24 Apr) – Walk through three magical zones that are filled with fun activities for the school holidays!
- Magic Hands The Wheeler Centre (Thu 21 Apr) – Join visual artist and Auslan educator Luke King for the very first Magic Hands workshop designed just for kids! At Magic Hands Kids, King will teach kids some useful signs and provide them with a fun, accessible introduction to Deaf culture.
- Little Food Festival (Wed 20 Apr – Thur 21 Apr) – Two days of fun activities that aim to teach kids about the supply chain and its relationship to the health of our bodies and the planet.
- PAW Patrol Live! (Sat 23 Apr – Sun 24 Apr) – Watch the PAW Patrol set out over land and sea to find the treasure for Mayor Goodway’s celebration before Mayor Humdinger finds it first!
- Pigments of the Past Experiment (Sat 23 Apr) – Explore painted artefacts at the Hellenic Museum and discover the science behind how ancient Greeks ground, mixed and distilled paints and dyes from a variety of natural materials like saffron, lapis lazuli and sandstone!