Welcome to my site!
Since 2010 TOT: HOT OR NOT has grown from a personal hobby into a part-time job for me. But I still blog mostly because I love writing, I'm interested in experiencing new things with my family and I want to inspire others to have fun with their families their city, region and the world.
The blog is a reflection of my personal interests.
This means that there is a greater proportion of HOTs than NOTs because I select where we want to go, what I want to do and I generally pay my own way.
Here’s the editorial policy in detail.
- TOT: HOT OR NOT is a review blog, which means that I write about my experiences and opinions after an event. I tend to publicise upcoming events via social media, the weekly What's On or a giveaway.
- I aim to write fair, honest and independent reviews.
- The blog has a strong bias towards locations in the CBD and the inner city. That is because I live and work in the inner city.
- When something is so-so, I still make a determination of whether it is HOT or NOT. I will always justify why I’ve fallen one way or the other.
- Most of the photographs are my own. If I have used other people’s photographs, I provide image credit and a link if relevant.
- I do not regularly publish guest posts but if you feel you have something relevant to say to the blog's readers please get in touch.
Reuse of content
- Please do not use my content and photographs without my permission. I make a living from writing and taking photographs. Republication with permission requires appropriate credit and a link back and depending on the circumstances, may attract a licence fee.
- I am happy to receive unsolicited emails from PR and marketing agencies. However, I only have time to respond to emails which I find personally interesting. Others I will politely decline or delete.
- I am happy to receive tips from readers about something or somewhere they like. I can’t promise to visit every single one, but I do make a note of them.
- I occasionally get invited to events, such as restaurant openings, theatre shows or product launches. When I have been invited as a guest, I always disclose that fact clearly in the post and I will always give my honest opinion about the event.
- I occasionally receive free products. When I have received a free product, I may choose to pass it on as a giveaway or retain in lieu of payment for a sponsored post.
- If I am paid to write a post, I will note that clearly in the post.
My business interests
As well as the blog I own two other small businesses.
- CycleStyle is an online bike store selling stylish clothing and accessories for urban cyclists.
- Wheelie Good Fun is where I work with local councils, community groups and otther organisations to design and deliver bike-related projects and place-making construction play activities for children.
I will occasionally use the blog as a publicity channel for CycleStyle and Wheelie Good Fun in the same way I choose to publicise other products or events via the blog.