What’s On – Friday 9 August to Thursday 15 August 2019
This week is the beginning of Science Week where you'll find free and paid science events all around Melbourne from Saturday 10 August to Saturday 17 August. Don't miss Science Gallery's newest program Disposable all about waste and finding creative solutions to our throwaway culture. Donate your pee to science!
It's also the middle of Craft Cubed month-long festival of the handmade which runs from 1-31 August with exhibitions and workshops throughout the city.
This weekend I'll be hanging out at local bookshops for Love Your Bookshop Day. Also West Projections Festival is opening! Join me for my family-friendly event Invisible (L)Ink this Saturday 10 August where we will be decorating a Footscray footpath with invisible ink. I tested it out Lady AB and Baby 2.0 and it looks awesome!
WHAT’S ON – MELBOURNE CBD/DOCKLANDS
- Little Rockers Red Nose Day Disco (Fri 9 Aug) – fun-filled activities on the day, including great music, the red nose ice bucket challenge, special appearances from Hoot and Hootabelle, and the KIIS FM street team.
- Winter Garden at Fed Square (Fri 9 Aug – Mon 26 Aug) – a joyous and playful profusion of handcrafted flowers in a riot of glorious colour to brighten our midwinter days!
- See You In the Soup (Fri 9 Aug – Sun 17 Aug) – See You in the Soup is a surreal animated exploration of the Melbourne epicurean landscape, seen through the eyes of a small and curious duck.
- Marvel: Journey of Heroes (Fri 9 Aug – Sun 29 Sep) – free exhibition showcasing each of Marvel's eight decades, starting with its origins as Timely Comics.
- Terracotta Warriors and Cai Guo-Qiang (Fri 9 Aug – Sun 13 Oct) – Terracotta Warriors: Guardians of Immortality is a large-scale presentation of the Qin Emperor’s Terracotta Warriors. Presented in parallel, Cai Guo-Qiang: The Transient Landscape, will see contemporary artist, Cai Guo-Qiang, create all new art works inspired by his home country’s culture and its enduring philosophical traditions. Read my review.
- A Fairy Tale in Red Times NGV (Fri 9 Aug – Sun 6 Oct) – free exhibition of contemporary Chinese art from Sydney's White Rabbit Gallery. Read my review.
- Terracotta Warriors High Tea (Sat 10 Aug – Sun 11 Aug) – luxurious Chinese-themed high tea where you can paint your own chocolate terracotta warrior. Read my review
- Under 8s Ice Fun at Medibank Icehouse (Sun 11 Aug) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- International Youth Day NGV (Sun 11 Aug) – to celebrate International Youth Day the National Gallery of Victoria is offering children and teens free access to 2019 Melbourne Winter Masterpieces exhibitions Terracotta Warriors & Cai Guo-Qiang.
- LEGO Sea Explorers SEA Life Melbourne Aquarium (Fri 9 Aug – Fri 19 Sep) – Build, draw, colour and create with LEGO bricks. Read my review.
- The Winter Village (Fri 9 Aug – Sat 31 Aug) – ice rink, food & drink pop up bars, a mega igloo dining hall and an Igloo Village of 21 cosy igloos. Read my review.
- Riverslide Skate Park Learn2Ride (Sun 11 Aug) – Riverslide Skate Park runs regular skateboard, BMX and scooter lessons for beginners as well as more experienced riders.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 14 Aug) – crackling fires, mulled wine and a revolving line-up of roving entertainers and live music, over 30 street vendors and designer and artisan stalls. Read my review.
- Ned Kelly Tour (Wed 14 Aug) – Discover the story of Victoria’s infamous bushranger Ned Kelly, read pages from the Jerilderie letter and see photos and historic objects related to his life.
WHAT’S ON – MELBOURNE’S NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Free Kids Activities Preston Market (Sun 11 Aug) – free kids activities during June/July every Sunday.
- Melbourne Collective Market (Sat 10 Aug) – shopping, music and great food and support local, support small business.
- Farmers Market at Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sat 10 Aug) – Shop local and seasonal produce and visit the Collingwood Children’s Farm for only $2 adult entry (kids free). FULL REVIEW.
- The Great Gut Microbe Hunt (Sun 11 Aug) – FREE family activity tied to our Gut Feelings exhibition. Search for microbes and anything else you might find in your tummy. Design your own ‘microbe mobile’ and see what beautiful things live inside your gut.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 11 Aug) – miniature railway with playground next door. Read my review
- Greek Food Festival (Sat 10 Aug) – Welcome to Thornbury celebrates the delights of Greece with endless gyros, calamari, loukamades and, of course, OUZO.
- Pacific Kids (Wed 14 Aug) – Free kids activities every Wednesday.
WHAT’S ON – MELBOURNE’S SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Prahran Market Kids’ Activities (Fri 9 Aug – Thu 15 Aug) – every market day Prahran Market offers face painting, an animal farm, kids dance classes and music – most activities are free and no bookings necessary.
- DUPLO Kids Club Legoland (Fri 9 Aug – Thu 15 Aug) – special activities every weekday for kids 2-5 years at the DUPLO Farm Adventure inside Legoland. Read the review.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 10 Aug) – weekly Saturday market with an awesome playground at Alma Park. Also Sun 28 Jul market at Sandringham.
- Mornington Railway (Sun 11 Aug) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Portable Iron Houses tour (Sun 11 Aug) – Get an insight into life during the Gold Rush era when you visit one of the few remaining pre-fabricated iron buildings in the world.
- Kids Mornings Westfield Southland (Wed 14 Aug) – Every Wednesday a different activity where your mini me's can play, learn and be entertained.
WHAT’S ON – MELBOURNE’S EAST
- Lake Mountain (Fri 9 Aug – Thu 15 Aug) – toboggan, cross country skiing and snow play 2 hours from Melbourne. Read my tips on visiting Lake Mountain with kids
- Mt Baw Baw (Fri 9 Aug – Thu 15 Aug) – Melbourne's closest downhill ski resort open for winter season. Read my tips on visiting Mt Baw Baw with kids
- Jurassic Unearthed by Silver’s Circus (Fri 9 Aug – Sun 1 Sep) – See Australia’s finest circus along with everyone favourite prehistoric creatures. Win tickets.
- Melbourne Tram Museum (Sat 10 Aug) – Visit a Melbourne icon at this quirky museum. FULL REVIEW.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 11 Aug) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Read my review.
- Belgrave Big Dreams Market (Sun 11 Aug) – discover original and bespoke design pieces, some of the yummiest and freshest produce the area has to offer, live music, bouncy castle and facepainting for the kids.
- Auburn Kids Sunday Funday (Sun 11 Aug) – Petting zoo, Fairies, mermaids, superheroes, face painting and balloon animals galore!
- Heide Art Babies (Tue 13 Aug) – 30 minutes of sensory play in the gallery, looking, thinking and talking about art. Read the review.
- Wallaby Wednesdays Healesville Sanctuary (Wed 14 Aug) – Dress up as wallabies with wallaby face painting, wallaby ears and wallaby tails for pouch races, hopping games and wallaby trails. Bring your favourite soft toy animal to join in the fun. Wallaby tails and wallaby ears are provided for dress up fun. Also don't forget Future Vets and Pouch House indoor play.
- Hot Chocolate Festival Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Fri 9 Aug – Sat 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings. Full review.
WHAT’S ON – MELBOURNE’S WEST
- West Projections (Fri 9 Aug – Sun 18 Aug) – projection art will illuminate creative spaces, VU campus, businesses and public places.
- Brickman Cities Scienceworks (Fri 9 Aug – Sun 3 Oct) – Discover the world’s most iconic cities and build your own creations at this brand-new interactive LEGO® experience. Read my review.
- Dingo Puppy Encounter (Fri 9 Aug – Sun 22 Sep) – Cuddle and photograph cute fluffy cubs and meet friendly dingo adults at the Dingo Discovery Sanctuary and Research Centre. Full review.
- Unjamaa Community Festival (Sat 10 Aug) – African food stalls, music, dance and VFL!
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 10 Aug) – mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights. Full review.
- Mini Zoo Keepers Werribee Zoo (Sat 10 Aug, Thu 15 Aug) – Children aged 2-5 years and their adults can go on an intimate guided tour with a Zookeeper to help look after some of the special animals in the zoo.
- STEM Sundays Scienceworks (Sun 11 Aug) – robotics and coding workshops for kids every Sunday. Read my review.
- Footscray Finds (Sun 11 Aug) – monthly market and car boot sale located in Footscray selling the unique, boutique, hard-to-find and preloved items, along with food stalls and barista-made coffee. Full review.
- Pacific Werribee Kids Club (Tue 13 Aug) – free activities every Tuesday in the Kids Mall, near Target
- Mini Makers Highpoint (Wed 14 Aug) – free kids activities every Wednesday.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Thu 15 Aug) – learn circus skills with aerials, balances, circus circuits and games. Read my review.
- Toddler Thursdays Werribee Zoo (Thu 15 Aug) – special program for 1-5 yo and their carers.
- Hot Chocolate Festival Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie (Fri 9 Aug – Sat 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings. Full review
I hope this post has helped or inspired you! Subscribe to my weekly newsletter to find out more ways for your family to have fun together!
This Post Has 0 Comments