The popular NGV Kids Summer Festival is back with a packed schedule of entirely FREE events for families from Saturday 5 January to Sunday 13 January 2019 at the National Gallery Victoria on St Kilda Road (NGV International).
This year the festival’s theme is ‘Make Believe’. It is also the title of the excellent children’s publication ‘Make Believe: M.C. Escher for Kids‘ that accompanies the NGV’s temporary exhibition Escher x nendo: Between Two Worlds (and get a discount price ticket here).
Every day there is a different special activity, from movie screenings to dance parties to magic shows. There are even special artist-led workshops just for teens.
From 10am-3pm the Great Hall is the location of two drop-in activities. The kids have a great time left alone to dress up their dogs using collage materials and glue, while the folding of the tetrahedron requires some adult supervision.
Check out the full program at ngv.vic.gov.au. Make sure you save some time to visit the free Julian Opie exhibition along with the Julian Opie: Studio for Kids interactive activities inside the children’s gallery.
- all of the sessions are free and drop-in;
- Get there right at the start at 10am or close to 3pm when it finishes (gallery closes at 5pm). It gets really, really busy;
- not all workshops are available every day. If there’s a specific workshop/performance you want to attend check the calendar;
- Also check out other child-friendly exhibits within the NGV – the free Julian Opie exhibition along with the Julian Opie: Studio for Kids interactive activities inside the children’s gallery or the paid Escher x nendo: Between Two Worlds exhibition;
- The sculpture garden is a great spot for lunch;
- While you’re at NGV also check out: