From Monday 16 January to Australia Day Thursday 26 January the National Gallery Victoria on St Kilda Road (NGV International) and Ian Potter Centre at Federation Square (NGV Australia) are hosting its annual NGV Kids Summer Festival with 11 days of FREE events for families.
This year the festival’s activities are inspired by David Hockney: Current and Viktor&Rolf: Fashion Artists and the artists’ shared love of dogs.
You can design your own paper dog with illustrator Alice Oehr….
….and then take your dog for a walk in Alice’s dog park…
… make magical masks with Kitiya Palaskas..
…watch sausages become sausage dogs with Soft Stories adorable installation ‘A Matter of Factory’…
…plus participate in kids yoga, magician performances and other creative workshops with local artists.
On Australia Day make sure you have a front row seat for the dachshund fashion parade!
- all of the sessions are free and drop-in, so get there right at the start at 10am or close to 3pm when it finishes (gallery closes at 5pm). It gets really, really busy;
- not all workshops are available every day. If there’s a specific workshop/performance you want to attend check the calendar and double-check at which gallery it’s being held;
- Also check out Atelier: Viktor & Rolf for Kids and the NGV Car Wash. The sculpture garden is a great spot for lunch;
- While you’re at NGV also check out:
- MPavilion Queens Victoria Gardens – changing program of events, some of which are suitable for families.
- Artplay playground – best playground in the CBD
- Artplay – drop in to see the latest exhibition or join in a workshop;
- Screen Worlds at ACMI – free interactive exhibition about cinema and screen.