HOT: Winter Fest, Moonee Valley
Moonee Valley City Council is making the most of winter this year and bringing back their popular Winter Fest – this time bigger and better!
The huge program includes the ever popular ice-skating in Moonee Ponds. The Moonee Ponds Ice Rink is located on Pratt Street just off major retail strip Puckle Street, which means that if you're not inclined to skate you can sit and watch the action from nearby eateries. We grab fish and chips from Hunky Dory who have prime position at the ice rink and are doing a roaring trade on a cold winter's night.
It's undercover and relatively small, so best to go early in the day to avoid the crowds. Tickets can be pre-purchased online or at the ticket office. Skate sessions run on the hour for 45 minutes and tickets include skate hire – it's good to know your shoe size beforehand. For an extra $5 you can hire a skating aid if you need it!
As well as the ice skating this year there's a giant ice slide in Essendon North, a progressive winter feast in Niddrie, Jazz Out West as part of Melbourne International Jazz Festival, bright lights along Racecourse Road and live music all over Moonee Valley. Grab a Family Skate and Slide pass to get access to the Moonee Ponds Ice Rink and Essendon North Ice Slide for two adults and two children for just $45.
Plus there are special events happening at local libraries, Incinerator Gallery, Clocktower Centre and specials offers from local traders throughout June and July.
Winter Fest is happening all through Moonee Valley from Saturday 1 June to Sunday 14 July.
Find Hotels and Airbnbs in Moonee Valley
Click here for more places to ice skate and ski around Melbourne
- Each ticket is for a 45 minute skate session and includes ice skate rental;
- Wear thicker socks which will give you more hold and padding inside your skates. The tops of the skates especially can press into your leg uncomfortably if you have thin socks/rights.
- Take an extra pair of socks in case of wet feet.
- Consider bringing a change of clothes (or at least bottoms) as the rink has a thin layer of water across the surface of the ice.
- Children under 5 years old must have adult skating with them;
- Child-friendly sessions available during the week;
- Moonee Ponds has lots of food options;
- The rink has toilets;
- Children must be 2+ years to ride ice slide;
- Children age 2-6 years can be accompanied by adult for one ticket price.
This Post Has 0 Comments