January is the time to start thinking about what you need for going back to school and uni. To save you time and money visit Bing Lee online, the one-stop-shop to find all the tech that you need for the return to school or uni in 2022.
Purchase online and have the items delivered to your door or Express Click and Collect in just 1 hour!
To make your shopping at Bing Lee easier, I’ve put together a list of the best back-to-school products, including tablets, laptops, phones, wearables, headphones, and printing.
How to Choose the Best Tablet or iPad for Kids
When it comes to finding the best tablets or iPads for your child for school, it’s largely about how they’re going to use the device. Your school might have rules on what your child can and can’t take into the classroom, or the school may already have a preference for the operating system they like to use.
- Size: Most schools will accept tablets or iPads with screens that are 8 inches to 15 inches. A smaller screen tablet or iPad is more portable, whereas a bigger device is betterfor streaming media and reading ebooks.
- Storage capacity: For regular note taking and documents, 128GB is generally enough. However, if you are storing videos or high-resolution media, you may want to upgrade to 256GB or larger.
- Battery life: If your child is going to be at school 6+ hours then make sure your tablet or iPad has a long enough battery life because they may not have time or the ability to charge their device between classes.
- Weight: Most tablets or iPads weigh under 500g, making them easy to transport and carry in school bags. Anything over 2kg is likely too heavy.
- Software and app support: If your child’s school requires specific software or apps, make sure the tablet or iPad you choose can support them.
- Case: Make sure you have a good quality iPad case or tablet case and screen protector to protect your child’s equipment.
Best iPads and tablets for primary school students
The Apple iPad (10.2i) Wi-Fi 64GB is intuitive to use and very customisable, so you can download what apps your child is free to use.
If the school’s Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policy doesn’t require an Apple device, check out the Lenovo Tab M1010.1″ HD Tablet. Its brilliant screen resolution illuminates information and media clearly. This affordable tablet has 2GB of memory, making it responsive when kids are multitasking between apps.
Best iPads and tablets for high school students
For a high school student, you’re probably weighing up an iPad vs laptop or iPad mini vs Air. If you decide an iPad is the way to go, then the Apple iPad Pro 11″ 2/Gen Wi-Fi 128GB – Grey. The iPad Pro has the capacity to also add on a keyboard and mouse which is perfect for use in the classroom as it virtually functions like a laptop.
If you want a device with the power of a laptop and versatility of a tablet but don’t require an Apple device, then the Lenovo Yoga Tab 11 + Pen 11″ Tablet is worth exploring. A fast processing speed (8 RAM), 258 GB storage capacity and up to 15 hours of battery life make it a great study tool for any student.
Another tablet to check out is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 11″ Wi-Fi 128GB – Mystic Silver. It has a massive 6GB of memory and is ideal for watching videos or streaming media. Its 11-inch screen is great for writing or editing photos.
How to Choose the Best Phones for Kids
Is your child ready for a mobile phone? While there are no rules around what age kids can get a phone, consider:
- Is your child mature enough?
- Do the benefits outweigh the risks?
- Does your child understand what the phone can be used for?
- Does your child demonstrate respect to friends and family?
- Can your child talk to you about what’s worrying them?
It’s a good idea to talk this through with your child to make sure they understand the risks and rewards of having a mobile phone. When everyone is clear on why a mobile phone is needed, then you can start researching what kid-safe mobile phones are on offer.
When choosing the best mobile phone for kids consider:
- Durability: It’s almost inevitable that your kid’s phone will get wet, dropped or lost (as an adult, I’ve done this several times myself!). Choose a phone that’s going to be durable and easy to replace if something breaks. I also recommend investing in a solid phone case and installing Find My Phone so you can track it down if it gets lost.
- Usability: A child under 10 years old may need a mobile phone that’s simpler to use than a teenager in high school. Take into consideration how big the buttons need to be, what size screen they’ll require and the kinds of apps they might use (if getting a smartphone).
- Safety: If the phone has internet access, install parental control software to make sure they’re not seeing anything they shouldn’t. You could also make a deal with your child that periodically you’ll check their phone to make sure it’s safe. Keep an eye out for malware or signs of bullying, but also respect your child’s privacy and ask permission to read texts and see photos.
- Child’s age: Perhaps start with a cheaper prepaid phone with no internet access. As your child gets older, a smartphone might be a better alternative, as they start to need their phone for more activities, like taking photos, researching for school and chatting to their friends.
- Price: There are lots of low-cost options or post-pay plans, so do some research beforehand and discuss how the bills will be paid with your child.
Best phones for kids under 10 years
These all-in-one 3G mobiles phones with GPS tracking are simple, distraction-free wearable watch phones designed for kids. The Spacetalk Kids Watch with Phone and GPS has numerous benefits, including:
- School Mode: You can activate this function via an app on your phone to silence the watch so they won’t get disrupted during class time.
- Fitness tracker: Track your activity with the built-in fitness tracker.
- Reminders: Set specific reminders for your child to do certain tasks or alert them when it’s time to do something.
One of the main benefits of an unlocked phone is that you’re not tied to one SIM card or phone carrier, so you can keep the same phone number and reuse the phone if you ever upgrade.
A great option here is the Opel Mobile BigButton X 4G. Its 4G capacity offers fast internet access and the big buttons make dialing numbers easier.
Best phones for teens and tweens
When your child gets older there are a lot more options when it comes to finding the right mobile phone. The two main smartphone operating systems are from Apple and Android.
If you go with an iPhone you can find so many different school-relevant apps via the Apple App store, plus the iPhone has built-in safety features while your child scrolls online.
Apple phones can be purchased at Bing Lee and you, like the Apple iPhone 13 mini, and you can then use a prepaid SIM card.
For a straightforward smartphone with minimal distractions, take a look at either the Realme C11 Smartphone or the Oppo A15 Smartphone. Both of these Android phones have all the standard features of a smartphone, like a touchscreen and good quality camera, but are simple enough for children to use, especially if this is their first smartphone.
Best Noise Cancelling Headphones
Our family discovered how much of a godsend noise-canceling headphones could be during last year as we all studied and worked from home. I think that effective noise-canceling headphones are a must for study or work, as well as your daily commute, exercise routine or travel.
Choosing the best noise-canceling headphones will depend on your child’s needs and preferences, as well as budget. Here’s a round-up of the best options available.
These over-ear wired headphones are a great entry-level option, and will be easily connected to your devices.
These AirPods feature active noise cancellation, transparency mode for hearing and connecting with the world around you, and are sweat and water-resistant. They come with a wireless charging case, and the battery life is 4.5 hours.
These are the wireless noise cancelling headphones that I use and they are a godsend for all locations. I carry them with me everywhere!
These are mid-range over-ear headphones, with a 30-hour battery life. The Sennheiser app allows users to tailor the headphone’s performance to their playlist, optimising their experience.
These are in-ear noise cancelling headphones with a 25-hour battery life. They have a wireless range of 10 metres, and wind cancelling functionality.
These are the ultimate in over ear headphones and have excellent sound quality. They have active noise cancelling and the woven carbon fiber composite arms of the PX7 are inspired by race cars.
Get your routine organised with a daily visual schedule
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase using the links there is no extra cost to you and I earn a small commission that helps me to provide free, valuable and useful information for you! Thanks Joyce