Mini mega model museum
Mini Mega Model Museum is a model of a museum that is a museum about models. Now that's a tongue-twister!
Find out why humans are fascinated with replicating real things in miniature by examining more than 200 models and miniatures that have been a part of Museum's Victoria's State Collection since its founding in 1854.
Find Accommodation near Melbourne Museum
The exhibition design is a fun museum-within-a-museum, fanciful explanation plaques and interactive features.
You'll find everything from giant bugs…
….to a miniature Colosseum (the oldest model, from 1775!)….
….scientific models presented in a fun way…
and a life-sized supermarket with a difference!
There are buttons to press…
…details to admire….
…and moments of wonder – why would you make a model butcher's shop??
At the child-sized ‘security desk' you can see zoomed-in footage of different artefacts within the gallery.
See how many you can spot and match up with their real-life counterparts!
The highlight is definitely the ‘Room of Rooms' which features Pendle Hall, a magnificent dollhouse that took 40 years to complete.
Next to it is a human-sized replica of the dining room which makes you feel somewhat like Alice in Wonderland!
For more of the best things to see at Melbourne Museum
Click here for more things to do in Melbourne with kids
Play outside at Carlton Gardens
- Mini Mega Model Museum is included in Melbourne Museum entry;
- Melbourne Museum is part of Museum’s Victoria which offers an annual family pass that is one of our favourite memberships for families with children in Melbourne;
- Museum car park rates start at $13 for 0-1 hours, then $23 for 1-2 hours during the week or an $18 flat rate on the weekend;
- There are a number of ways to visit Melbourne Museum, click here to see how all the ways to get there including how to book a car park online and save up to 40%;
- Pram parking is available at the cloakroom free of charge, along with storage for large bags.
This post contains affiliate links. If you book using the links there is no extra cost to you and I earn a small commission that helps me to provide free, valuable and useful information for you! Thanks Joyce