Gertrude Street Projection Festival is an annual free light, sound and art exhibition celebrating winter on one of Melbourne’s most vibrant streets.
Shop fronts, laneways, windows and footpaths light up for a self-guided walking tour of Fitzroy and Collingwood from Friday 21 July to Sunday 30 July 2017.
I have taken Lady AB to Gertrude Street Projection Festival for the past few years and have loved the experience every time. It’s sort of like ‘White Night Lite’ – a manageable selection of projection art lighting up an interesting retail streetscape without the crowds and public transport nightmares.
We’ve even got a routine now – pizza dinner at Ladro to kick of the night then rugging up with our torches to see what we can discover.
Previous programs have expanded the program beyond projection art, including installation and performance.
The beauty of Gertrude Street Projection Festival is that it’s a bit of a choose-your-own-adventure so you can choose to wind your way however you wish and take your time to absorb the works you enjoy.
- Start your night with an early dinner at Ladro at 5/5:30pm. They have a great children’s menu with a pizza or pasta plus dessert for $12.50;
- Projections start at 6pm;
- Bring a torch, glow sticks and maybe even some hand made paper shadow puppets;
- If you do go to Ladro our preferred table is table number 4 (for 4 people) because it’s in the corner with two large blank white walls. Have fun experimenting with light and shadows while waiting for our dinner to arrive.
- Rug up, there’s not much shelter on the street. Wear white for extra excitement!
- With kids I don’t think it’s worthwhile visiting the special performances or interior exhibits. I noticed that they enjoyed just being out on the street, looking all around them, than sitting still in a gallery. It also takes the pressure having to be at a certain place at a certain time.
- Note some of the works may not be appropriate for children;
- Download the program to help plan your night in advance;
- To cover the whole route allow 1-1.5 hours; and
- Park on side streets or take public transport, tram $86, #112 or #109.