A Gruffalo! Why, didn’t you know?
Every day from 10am to 4pm, spot your favourite characters from the popular children’s book ‘The Gruffalo' by Julia Donaldson and Alex Scheffler hiding amongst the gardens of historic Rippon Lea Estate!
The Gruffalo Trail is self-guided outdoor experience that's included in general entry to Rippon Lea Estate. To get started all you have to do is download the free augmented reality Gruffalo Spotter App in the App Store or Google Play on your smartphone.
There are signs to let you know you are going the right way as you journey through the picturesque winding paths and gardens of Rippon Lea Estate into the ‘deep dark wood'.
A spotters’ guide is also provided to help you keep a note of the clues you see along the way.
Find Hotels and Airbnbs near The Gruffalo Trail, Rippon Lea Estate, Elsternwick
As you follow the trail look out for five markers for each of the five characters – Mouse, Fox, Owl, Snake and the Gruffalo.
When you find the markers you use the Gruffalo spotters app to bring the characters to life in the Rippon Lea Estate garden setting.
Once you have activated the animation you can take a photo of the character and save the photo or share it on social media. My kids enjoy standing beside or behind the characters on screen and then taking a photo of the character themselves!
At the end of your Gruffalo-hunting enjoy the grounds of Rippon Lea Estate, which provide a perfect spot for a picnic.
There is also a gift shop and tea rooms on site; these are located at the entrance of Rippon Lea Estate.
The Gruffalo Trail is a fun and engaging augmented reality experience for the whole family. Regular visitors to Rippon Lea Estate who are fans of The Gruffalo' books will particularly love the experience to see the historic gardens in a new way!
Click here for more things to do in Melbourne with kids
Click here for a review of The Gruffalo stage show
- General admission entry includes garden access, guided tours and The Gruffalo Trail;
- Tickets can be purchased on arrival at Rippon Lea Estate;
- get familiar with ‘The Gruffalo' by Julia Donaldson and Alex Scheffler before you go – buy or borrow a copy;
- before you go download the free augmented reality Gruffalo Spotter App in the App Store or Google Play on your smartphone;
- The Gruffalo Trail is recommended for children aged 3 and up and it takes approximately 45 minutes to complete the trail;
- Younger children may require assistance using the app to bring characters to life;
- bring a picnic and enjoy the grounds afterwards;
- There is also a gift shop and tea rooms on site; and
- free time-limited parking in surrounding residential streets.
I hope this post has helped or inspired you! Subscribe to my weekly newsletter to find out more ways for your family to have fun together!