Is this view of a tropical resort?
No, it's Eastern Beach Geelong, on our own back doorstep only an hour by car or train from Melbourne.
Eastern Beach Reserve is right in Geelong's CBD and it's an amazing, free place to cool down, have fun, relax and party, right by the shimmering waters of Corio Bay.
You can enter via the carpark but the more dramatic course is to step down the grand staircase (bringing to mind Rome's Spanish Steps), framed dramatically by palm trees and with a curious centrepiece fountain of fantastical creatures.
The picturesque area includes an Art Deco boardwalk enclosing a shark-proof sea bath with floating islands and diving towers…
…a fenced children's pool which ranges from 60cm to 1.2m deep…
Find Hotels and Airbnbs near Eastern Beach, Geelong
…some of Geelong's renowned Bay walk Bollards…
…plus barbecue and picnic facilities, toilets, water fountains and a kiosk/cafe. Everything you need for a fun day out!
We spend about 2 hours there and the trip costs us $2.90 per hour for parking and $4 for ice creams. Lady AB declares it ‘a very fun pool adventure'.
Even better, renowned café operators The Mulberry Group (Top Paddock, Three Bags Full, Higher Ground, ) are taking up a 10-year lease on the iconic Beach House building at Eastern Beach. The plan is to be operational in 2019.
Eastern Beach is a must-go place to visit with kids when you're in Geelong, especially in summer. Locals have it lucky and for out-of-towners it's so good I recommend a special trip!
Click here for more things to do in Geelong with kids
Click here for more of the best beaches in Melbourne for kids
Click here for more free water play in Melbourne and surrounds
- Parking is $2.90 per hour, Max $5.20. Free parking Saturday, Sunday, public holidays;
- Paid parking is available along the foreshore and in Geelong CBD. Foreshore particularly busy on weekends.
- pack your hat and sunscreen. All of the bench seating next to the children's pool is unshaded as the shade sales overlook the pool perimeter;
- beach showers/toilets and kiosk at Eastern Beach;
- children's pool is 60cm – 1.2m deep with a central gushing water fountain;
- sea baths are suitable for older children;
- the playground is semi-shaded using shade sails;
- some picnic tables are under red roofing, otherwise the green space is mostly unshaded;
- lifeguards patrol the children's pool;
- BBQs and picnic facilities available at playground and along foreshore;
- there's a kiosk and cafe on site [currently being refurbished]; and
- If you’re taking the train as a family you can ask for a family saver ticket at any V/Line ticket counter – this offers a discounted rate during off-peak times that you won’t get if you use your Myki. Train station is within walking distance to the beach/CBD.