Hello winter school holidays Melbourne! This year the holidays run from Saturday 30 June to Sunday 15 July.
Here’s your mega list of school holiday events in Melbourne’s CBD and Docklands, sorted by date.
Click here for more school holiday events in Melbourne – sorted by north, south, east, west.
Melbourne School Holidays – CBD/Docklands
- Shrine Kids (ongoing) – free discovery trail for children at the Shrine of Remembrance. Full review.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (until 19 Aug) – free play space with a changing theme every season. Full review.
- Wonderland ACMI (until Sun 7 Oct) – Fall down the rabbit hole into this world premiere exhibition exploring Alice in Wonderland. Full review.
- New York! New York! For Kids NGV (until Sun 7 Oct) – free drop-in installation exploring New York. Buy discount tickets to MOMA at NGV.
- Colour Labyrinth ArtPlay (until Sun 15 Jul) – Light a torch to navigate the ever changing labyrinth, choose your own adventure through amazing worlds in this interactive installation.
- Skating at Crown (Fri 22 Jun – Sun 15 Jul) – pop up ice skating rink at Crown Riverwalk. Full review.
- Sleeping Beauty (Fri 29 Jun – Sun 8 Jul) – fun-for-all-the family fairy tale panto adventure.
- Docklands Firelight Festival (Fri 29 Jun – Tue 31 Jul) – the traditions of a winter solstice and a modern celebration of arts, music, food, fire and fun.
- Circus Oz Precarious (Fri 29 Jun– Sun 15 Jul) –Astonishing acrobatics and spectacular aerials demonstrate the chaos that happens when the natural balance of the world is tipped over.
- Little Designer Club Myer Melbourne (Sat 30 Jun – Tue 2 July) – fun & creative design experience where you can make your own bag or necklace. Full review.
- ArtPlay (Sat 30 Jun – Sun 15 Jul) – free exhibition and workshops
- The District Ice Slide (Sat 30 Jun – Sun 15 Jul) – For a gold coin donation to Kids Under Cover you can fly down the slope on an inflatable tube.
- Escape the Gaol Melbourne Gaol (Sat 30 Jun – Wed 4 Jul) – Participants will have the opportunity to become inmates and must explore the Gaol to discover all the necessary clues to create the perfect escape plan, without being discovered by the prison guards.
- Eureka Skydeck (Sat 30 Jun – Sun 15 Jul) – round up your thrill-seeking mates for a race to the finish line or conquer your fear of heights from the comfort of a digital headset with The Plank, an exciting virtual reality experience that has visitors balancing on a plank, 285 metres above Melbourne city.
- Riverslide Skate Park Learn2Ride (Sun 30 Jun – Sun 15 Apr) – Riverslide Skate Park runs regular skateboard, BMX and scooter lessons for beginners as well as more experienced riders.
- Immigration Museum (Sat 30 Jun – Sun 15 Jul) – family-fun craft, storytelling and dance workshops inspired by the story of Mao’s Last Dancer, Li Cunxin and Barangaroo Ngangamay.
- Winter Skate O’Brien Group Arena (Sat 30 Jun- Sun 15 Jul) – figure skating champions, craft, face painting, free beginner lessons, under 8s ice fun.
- Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium (Sat 30 Jun – Sun 15 Jul) – Sea Life Melbourne has partnered with Discovery Channel’s Animal Planet to invite guests on an o-fish-ial quest to discover fascinating features about the fin-tastic places our underwater friends call home.
- Sunday Family Funday Munich Brauhaus (Sun 1 Jul, Sun 8 Jul, Sun 15 Jul) – mobile farm experience, face painter, kids’ entertainer and yummy food at Munich Brauhaus.
- The District Makers Market (Sun 1 Jul, Sun 8 Jul, Sun 15 Jul) – arts and crafts from some of Melbourne’s best creative types.
- Pirate Sunday Polly Woodside (Sun 1 Jul) – Dress as a pirate and come help us search for hidden treasure, play tug of war and have your face painted.
- Game Day Fun Zone The District Docklands (Sun 1 Jul, Sun 8 July, Sun 15 Jul) – Face painting, footy banner giveaways.
- Gold Rush: 20 Objects, 20 Stories (Sun 1 Jul – May 2019) – A new exhibition at The Old Treasury Building telling 20 turbulent tales of Victoria’s gold rush. From tiny original manuscripts to a replica of the largest gold nugget found.
- Teeny Tiny Stevies’ Tea Party (Sun 1 Jul) – A fun-filled morning of treats and music for little ones and their grown-ups with the much-loved children’s band the Teeny Tiny Stevies.
- State Library of Victoria (Mon 2 Jul – Thu 5 Jul) – free classes and workshops.
- Modern Drawing NGV (Mon 2 Jul – Fri 6 Jul) – free drop-by drawing activities inspired by works of modern and contemporary art in MoMA at NGV: 130 Years of Modern and Contemporary Art exhibition.
- LEGO workshops Polly Woodside (Mon 2 Jul – Mon 16 Jul) – special pirate themed LEGO workshop presented by BRICKS 4 KIDZ.
- Code Camp (Wed 4 Jul – Fri 6 Jul) – During the camps, kids create and build their own game, learn about user design and the psychology of user experience.
- Melbourne Library Service (Mon 2 Jul – Thu 12 Jul) – various workshops and activities, all free.
- Lego Educational Centre (Mon 2 Jul – Fri 13 Jul) – 2 hour Lego workshops from 3+ years.
- Kids Can Cook Sheraton Melbourne (Mon 2 Jul – Fri 13 Jul) – children’s afternoon tea inspired by superheroes. Full review.
- Lion Guard High Tea The Langham (Mon 2 Jul – Fri 20 Jul) – Disney fans young and old are invited to experience The Lion Guard High Tea
- Starry Southern Skies at Royal Botanical Gardens Melbourne (Mon 2 Jul, Mon 9 Jul) – See the roof of the Melbourne Observatory rotate and open to view the amazing Australian night sky.
- ACMI (Mon 2 Jul – Sun 15 Jul) – a variety of paid and free drop-in workshops, ACMI Family Sundays and Kids Flicks.
- Wheeler Kids (Mon 2 Jul – Wed 11 Jul) – literary kid-friendly events.
- Swan Lake on Ice (Tue 3 Jul – Sun 8 Jul) – ice choreography set to Tchaikovsky’s score. Win Tickets.
- Lyric Writing Workshop Arts Centre Melbourne (Wed 4 Jul) – Starting with a guided tour of the Australian Music Vault exhibition, this workshop takes you deep into the art of lyric writing.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 4 Jul, Wed 11 Jul) -crackling fires, mulled wine and a revolving line-up of roving entertainers and live music, over 30 street vendors and designer and artisan stalls. READ THE REVIEW.
- The Big Bubble Show (Thu 5 Jul) – Combining astonishing bubble magic, sidesplitting comedy, audience participation and dazzling lighting to create a unique mesmerising theatrical experience for the young at young-at-heart.
- Poster Making Arts Centre Melbourne (Thu 5 Jul) – workshop encourages you to explore the world of poster-making.
- Mister Maker (Thu 5 Jul – Sat 7 Jul) – Full of laughter, music and lots of big surprises, this family production will entertain everyone with its creative chaos and fun
- Disney on Ice presents 100 Years of Magic (Thu 5 Jul – Tue 10 Jul) – Celebrate the legacy of Disney in this ice skating spectacular as Mouse-ter of Ceremonies Mickey Mouse leads a parade of characters.
- The Lost Forests The District Docklands (Fri 6 Jul, Fri 13 Jul) – Join The Lost Forests expert storytellers and their fabulous toy maker Bridie for a 1.5 hour creative toy making session.
- European Night Market (Fri 6 Jul, Fri 13 Jul) – mulled wine, piping hot spiced rum and delicious European-inspired comfort food.
- Comedy Crash Course Arts Centre Melbourne (Mon 9 Jul) – Workshops involve participants playing improvisation games, writing jokes, telling stories, developing sketches and having a laugh in the process.
- Introducing the 104 Storey Treehouse (Tue 10 Jul) – another utterly madcap book launch with Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton.
- The Magic Workshop Arts Centre Melbourne (Wed 11 Jul) – Melbourne magician Lee Cohen leads sessions showcasing a range of magical skills.
- The Hunting of the Snark Arts Centre Melbourne (Wed 11 Jul – Sun 15 July) – Direct from London’s West End comes the impossible voyage of a riotous ragtag band of bold adventurers on the hunt for the legendary Snark.
Don’t forget these HOT CBD locations as well:
And my favourite child friendly restaurants and cafes in Melbourne CBD.