It's hard to believe, but December is already upon us. We hope you’ve had a fantastic year with your family so far!
As always, we want to help you and your family make the most of all the fun in Melbourne until the very last day of the year and make sure it ends with a bang.
So, if you're looking for things to do in Melbourne this month, we've got you covered. Whether you're looking to get into the Christmas spirit or just want to get out and about, here are some of the best events happening in Melbourne in December 2022. From family-friendly activities to festive markets and performances, there's something for everyone to enjoy this month, so be sure to check out our list of things to do in Melbourne this December.
Also, don’t forget to check back often for updates and to see what’s on in Melbourne today and this weekend, as well as what’s happening for the whole month.
Table of contents
WHAT’S ON – MELBOURNE CBD/DOCKLANDS
- Myer Christmas Windows (Sun 6 Nov – Fri 6 Jan) –The Myer Christmas Windows have been enchanting Australian families for generations. Full review.
- Breakfast With Santa (Sat 12 Nov – Sat 24 Dec) – Join Santa for breakfast at our Elizabeth Street store and experience the pure joy of Christmas, featuring enchanting activities for kids and adults alike
- Vision Australia’s Carols by Candlelight (Fri 23 Dec – Sat 24 Dec) – an evening of magical performances to support kids who are blind or who have low vision.
- Santa's Village At Tinseltown! (Until Sat 24 Dec) – Enter the home of Santa and meet some happy and welcoming Elves, participate in some craft-making in the Toy Factory, cookie decorating in the Christmas Kitchen, Ice Curling and more!
- Tinseltown: Where Everyday Is Christmas ( Until Fri 30 Dec) – expect Santa, elves, presents, tinsel, festive tunes, lots of winter warmer drinks, and more
- Wizard’s Den (Until Sat 31 Dec) – an escape room-like experience that will take you on an adventure into a world of fantasy, magic, riddles, science and boozy potions!
- Docklands Community Market (2nd & 4th Sunday of each month) – Grab your early morning coffee, enjoy a lovely stroll & support your local producers at this lovely market.
- Arts Centre Sunday Market (Sundays) – find unique, quirky and handmade items at the stalls. There are always some yummy treats too!
- The Story of the Moving Image (ongoing) – Journey through the past, present and future of the moving image through interactive experiences, digital innovation and captivating stories. Story of the Moving Image ACMI Review.
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (ongoing) – see the award-winning production of the sequel to the Harry Potter series playing exclusively in Melbourne. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Review.
- Storytime by State Library Victoria (Mondays) – Share the delight of stories, songs and picture books with your preschooler on Wednesdays at the Library. State Library of Victoria Review.
- Queen Street Plaza (Sundays) – find a rotating line-up of delicious street food, live music and entertainment every Sunday from 9 am.
- Shrine Kids (Daily) – The Shrine of Remembrance is the National War Memorial of Victoria and it makes for an educational (and sobering) outing for families. Shrine Kids Review.
- Melbourne Book Market (Saturdays & Sundays) – curated collection of more than 5,000 new and pre-loved titles selected and presented by 15 of Melbourne’s most experienced booksellers.
WHAT’S ON – MELBOURNE’S NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- The Big Design Market (Fri 2 Dec – Sun 4 Dec) – Australia’s biggest design market with over 250 stalls, kids activities and food.
- The Greenery Market (Sun 4 Dec) – An epic one-off market collaboration between the Rose Street Artists Market and The Greenery Garden & Home – one not to be missed!
- DIY Kid's Toy Workshop (Sat 3 Dec) – Come be Santa's Elf for the day and make timber toys to give to children in need for Christmas!
- Sapling School: Garrawang Season 2022 (Sat 10 Dec & Sat 7 Dec) – Play specialist Catherine Sewell and horticulturist Rachel Freeman inspire children to get gardening during Kangaroo Apple Season in the Kulin Nation’s calendar through singing, storytelling and hands-on activities.
- Coburg Night Market (Fri 9 Dec – Sun 11 Dec) – Featuring delicious street food, vibrant music and artisan makers based in Merri-bek, Coburg Night Market will be back up and running on one big weekend
- Resonate (Until Dec 2022) – a series of unique local and family-friendly live music events happening in Brunswick, Coburg and beyond.
- SWARM (Until Sat 3 Dec) – Through a series of collaborative exhibits and projects, this event will dive into the science and art behind what it means to be part of a pack.
- Tyama: A multisensory experience of nature (ongoing) – Be transported to Victoria’s nocturnal worlds, immersing you in 360-degree responsive projections, breathtaking effects and exquisite soundscapes. Tyama review
- Story Seekers Melbourne Museum (Mondays and Fridays) – Join in at the Melbourne Gallery to explore stories that bring life to treasures.
- Tiny Tour Melbourne Museum (Mondays and Fridays) – a 45-minute tour created for early-year audiences that will invite them to wonder, discover and be amazed.
- Bite-Sized Science Melbourne Museum (First Saturday of the Month) – Discover our natural world and uncover the secret life of the creatures around us and their ecosystems in these monthly Bite-Sized Science sessions.
- Fitzroy Market (Saturdays) – a one-stop hub for everything produce, food, artisan, handcrafted, vintage, second hand and local.
- Abbotsford Farmers Market (Saturday) – Shop local and seasonal produce and visit the Collingwood Children’s Farm which is just next door.
- VU Play Coburg pop-up playspaces (Tuesdays – Saturdays) – VU early childhood pre-service teachers create pop-up play spaces for children to play.
- Rose Street Artists' Market (Saturdays and Sundays) – Shop directly from Melbourne’s best artists, designers, crafters and makers at Fitzroy’s iconic Rose Street Market.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sundays) – miniature railway with a playground next door. Diamond Valley Railway Review.
- Mini Mega Model Museum (ongoing) – an exhibition featuring small and big things at Melbourne Museum. Mini Mega Model Museum review.
WHAT’S ON – MELBOURNE’S SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Monash Maker Fair (Sun 4 Dec) – The Greatest Show and (Tell) on Earth – Its county fair meets science fair meets farmers market. Enjoy over 200 artisans, developers, hackers, inventors, and tinkerers who want to share their passions with attendees of all ages.
- Alice in Frames book launch in the orchard: The Joy of Better Cooking (Sun 11 Dec) – celebrate the launch of Alice Zaslavsky’s brand new cookbook: The Joy of Better Cooking.
- Bayside Christmas Carols in the Park (Tue 13 Dec) – Bayside Christmas Carols in the Park returns to Dendy Park! Join in to celebrate the holiday season with your friends and family during this family-friendly event
- The Wind in the Willows (Sat 17 Dec – Sun 29 Dec) – This critically acclaimed outdoor theatre production delivers music, songs, and laughs. See the Head Chief Rabbit transforms the audience into rabbits with a waggle of the ears and a wiggle of the nose.
- Alice in Wonderland (Tue 20 Dec – Sat 28 Jan 2023) – This school holiday, tumble down the rabbit hole as the Australian Shakespeare Company presents Lewis Carroll’s absurd & wickedly clever classic – Alice in Wonderland
- Christmas at Dandenong Plaza (Various dates throughout December), Giveaways, free Santa photos, free festive kids activities, gift wrapping, Christmas choir performances and more.
- Sunset Twilight Markets (Sun 20 Nov) – Enjoy live music, roaming performers, curated stallholders offering a variety of unique products and wares and more
- The Sunset Cinema (Wed 21 Dec – Fri 20 Jan) – Enjoy an outdoor screening of your favourite movies this summer at The Sunset Cinema.
- Mornington Railway (Sundays) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Little Play Squad Legoland (Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays) – An interactive parent-child Play & Learn session based on LEGO® DUPLO®. DUPLO Farm Adventure Review.
- Bentleigh Sunday Market (Sundays) – plants, clothing, cosmetics, jewellery, books, videos, tools, antiques, crafts, pre-loved goods and more! Every Sunday.
- Frankston Community Market (Sundays) – a weekly community market located in the very heart of Frankston, featuring an ever-changing variety of stalls.
- Gasworks Farmers’ Market (Third Saturday of every month until Sun 18 Dec) – On Saturdays soak up the vibrant atmosphere and sample the very best of local Victorian produce directly from Victorian farmers and specialty makers.
- Gumbuya World Wildlife Wanderers (Every Wed) – join in every Wednesday for a day full of fun for your little ones with a 30-minute program, which will include storytime, games and nature play-based activities.
- Prahran Market Mini Marketeers (Every Tuesday) – Enjoy free, guided activities teaching toddlers the fundamentals of eating well and putting the ‘yum’ in healthy food choices.
- Camelot Traffic School (Weekends and School Holidays) Ride or scoot in this miniature city and get practical experience riding and learning some road rules. Located in Bentleigh East. Check their hours on their website before you go as they are subject to change. Read my review.
- Young at Art Mornington Peninsula Art Gallery (Tuesdays) – program for 0-5-year-olds. Sing, dance, clap and stomp your feet with Matteo! Do an exciting activity with the Education Coordinator afterwards.
WHAT’S ON – MELBOURNE’S EAST
- Santa Photos Eastland (Sat 5 Nov – Sat 24 Dec) – Visit Santa’s home in the Enchanted Forest under the big oak tree. Full review.
- Cherry Picking Cherryhill Orchards (Mon 14 Nov – Jan 2023) – Pick your own cherries and enjoy cherry treats. Full review.
- Photos with Santa Kew (Sat 3 Dec – Sat 10 Dec) – Bring the family and/or your pets to get a photo with Santa at Kew Court House and help raise money for charity.
- Auburn Kids Sunday Funday (Sundays) – Let the kids roam with the barnyard animals at the FREE petting zoo while you enjoy a Sunday roast! What could be better!?
- Camberwell Sunday Market (Every Sunday) – second-hand retro, vintage, antique, fashion and collectible goods you just can't find anywhere else
- Yarra Valley Railway (Every Sun) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Yarra Valley Review.
- Heide Art Babies (Tuesdays) – 30 minutes of sensory play in the gallery, looking, thinking and talking about art. Heide Art Babies Review.
- Mooroolbark Miniature Railway (Runs 4th Sunday each month) – miniature rail running every 4th Sunday.
WHAT’S ON – MELBOURNE’S WEST
- BIG Summer Read Launch Party! (Thu 1 Dec) – Enjoy this Picnic style party to launch the BIG Summer Read! There'll also be lots of games, stories and hands-on craft activities.
- Victorian Medieval Festival (Sat 3 Dec & Sun 4 Dec) – Step back in time for the Victorian Medieval Festival at Kryal Castle! A historical adventure for the whole family, watch Knights jousting on their trusty steeds in the thrilling Victorian Jousting Tournament and sword battle in the Medieval Combat Tournament!
- Little Kids Day In: Dino Day (Mon 5 Dec) – Get ready to roar like never before at Little Kids’ Day In: Dino Day. Dress up in your best dino outfit and join in the fun! Meet some dinosaur puppets, dig for fossils, make a dino mask to wear and take home and more!
- Carols in Queens Park (Sat 10 Dec) – Enjoy performances by Moonee Valley Brass, Moonee Valley Community Choir, Angela Lumicisi, Tahlia Eve, E-motion 21 and others, along with their incomparable MC Richard Thomas!
- Oz Comic Con Xmas Edition Melbourne (Sat 10 Dec – Sun 11 Dec) – Oz Comic-Con Melbourne is Australia's premier pop culture and comic-con event in Melbourne. Showcasing all the latest studio activations, comics, anime, cosplay, and video games.
- Seaworks Bizarre Bazaar (Fri 16 Dec) – Join in to celebrate the festive season, get those last-minute Christmas gifts, see Santa, watch the local LFK dance group perform, get your face painted, enjoy delicious food and be merry!
- Christmas Tree Farm Forest Green Market (Sat 19 Nov – Sat 17 Dec) – Christmas Market in Melbourne’s west. Food stalls, artisan and crafts, kids activities and more on weekends!
- Big Strings Festival and Big Voices Festival (Sat 17 Dec) – this free event year's Big Strings festival will bring Melbourne's finest string musicians and opera singers right into the heart of Docklands!
- Melbourne Renegades Gades Arcade (Sun 18 Dec, Sun 1 Jan, Sat 7 Jan, Sat 14 Jan, Tue 24 Jan) – The Melbourne Renegades will unveil an epic family entertainment zone at Marvel Stadium this summer for their five home KFC Big Bash League matches.
- Fairies and Goblins at Kryal Castle (Wed 21 Dec – Sun 29 Jan) – Calling all Fairies, Princesses, Knights, Princes and Goblins of all ages! Let your imagination soar off with the fairies this summer school holidays at Kryal Castle!
- Christmas Communi-Tree (Sat 26 Nov – Sat 24 Dec) – This Christmas, you'll see 60+ communi-trees popping up around Moonee Ponds, where community groups and schools have decorated in their festive flare.
- Makers’ Market 2022 (Sat 10 Dec) – Footscray Makers’ Market returns with a curated lineup of 30+ eclectic stalls on the charming grounds of Footscray Community Arts!
- Junior Chefs (Sat 10 Dec – Sun 11 Dec) – Calling all budding chefs! Join in to learn, make and taste a new delicious recipe! This month's sessions are all about Gingerbread Decorating.
- Yarraville Village Farmers Market (1st & 3rd Saturday of Each Month) – enjoy a wonderful, relaxed community environment and sample the freshest products direct from the farmers and producers as you shop in the open.
- Mini Makers (Wednesdays) – Back for Term 3, Mini Makers provides masterclasses for kids ages 2 – 5, where they can explore science, craft, cooking, music, movement and more!
- Bulla Railway (3rd Sunday of each month) – Ride the dinosaur trail on the miniature railway. Bulla Railway Review.
- Altona Miniature Railway (3rd Sunday of the month) – between 10 am and 3 pm ride this wonderful Miniature Railway. Altona Miniature Railway review.
- Story Time With Amanda Falson (Mondays) – Join in this free event with your little ones every Monday morning for story time with Amanda Falson.
- Grazeland (Fridays – Sundays) – huge dining precinct with city views and 50 stalls to choose from. Read the Grazeland Review
- Essendon Traffic School (Saturdays) – Essendon Traffic School is a mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights. Essendon Traffic School review.
- Sunday Funday Station Hotel (Sundays) – Every Sunday The Station Hotel prepares an animal farm and other entertaining activities to keep the little ones busy while you sit back and relax. Station Hotel Review
- Enterprize Sail Williamstown (usually sails the third Sunday of every month) – go for a one-hour sail on the tall ship Enterprize in Williamstown