Hooray for Spring! While the school holidays may be over there’s still loads of fun to enjoy in Melbourne this week!
Also remember on Friday 12 October, The Nappy Collective will launch its twelfth nappy drive, a two-week campaign that calls on babies and parents across Australia to donate leftover, unused, disposable nappies, providing vital support to vulnerable families. More info here.
Also if you’re already planning ahead check out my list of Halloween events in Melbourne for kids.
WHAT’S ON IN MELBOURNE’S CBD/DOCKLANDS
- Melbourne Festival (Fri 12 Oct – Sun 22 Oct) – feast of dance, theatre, music, visual arts, multimedia and outdoor events.
- Shrine Kids (ongoing) – free discovery trail for children at the Shrine of Remembrance. Full review.
- Lexicon (Fri 12 Oct – Sun 21 Oct) – Daring, seductive and utterly contemporary, Lexicon is a celebration of the past, present and future of circus.
- MPavilion (Fri 12 Oct – Sun 3 Feb 2018) – An event hub, a meeting place and an invitation to experiment, each MPavilion brings creative collaborators together to present a free, four-month program of talks, workshops, performances and installations from October to February.
- Daschund Race Hophaus (Sat 13 Oct) – As part of their Oktoberfest celebrations, Hophaus Bier Bar is bringing back their annual Dachshund race.
- Art Club Artplay (Sat 13 Oct) Bring along your favourite childhood toy to honour it with its own portrait. Using charcoal we’ll create a series of drawings of all the toys.
- Gothic and Victorian Picnic (Sat 13 Oct) – Family friendly with mysterious performers and enchanting music, the picnic is a great way to get in the Halloween mood.
- Riverslide Skate Park Learn2Ride (Sat 13 Oct – Sun 14 Oct) – Riverslide Skate Park runs regular skateboard, BMX and scooter lessons for beginners as well as more experienced riders.
- Under 8s Ice Fun (Sun 14 Oct) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Kids Oktoberfest Munich Brauhaus (Sun 14 Oct) – every Sunday kids eat for free, face painter and activity packs.
- Hawker88 Night Market (Wed 17 Oct – Wed 24 Oct) –Every Wednesday night from 19 September to 24 October, Hawker 88 Night Market will bring the tastes, sights and sounds of the Orient to Melbourne’s favourite market.
WHAT’S ON IN MELBOURNE – NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Corroborree Fridays Melbourne Zoo (Fri 12 Oct) – Every Friday 10.30am-11.30am learn all about the critically endangered Corroboree frog through stories, craft, games, and face painting (extra cost).
- National Geographic’s 50 Greatest Wildlife Photographs (Fri 12 Oct – 30 Nov) – a world-first immersive photographic exhibition looking at wildlife through images from 130 years of National Geographic magazine.
- Farmers Market at Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sat 13 Oct) – Shop local and seasonal produce and visit the Collingwood Children’s Farm for only $2 adult entry (kids free). FULL REVIEW.
- Stockland Highlands Launch (Sat 13 Oct) – Iron Man and Spider-Man, giant jumping castle, a nine-hole mini-golf course on site, face painting, super mask making, a baby animal farm, and a community sausage sizzle
- Kids Book Fest Fitzroy (Sat 13 Oct) – storytime, signings, workshops.
- Heide Makers Market (Sat 13 Oct) – eclectic mix of art, design and handcrafted goods.
- Rushall Community Garden open day (Sat 13 Oct) – The open day will feature: members actively gardening and chatting with visitors; a compost workshop; self-wicking seed raising; garden tours; stalls including plants and seedlings, fresh produce from the garden, home-made goodies and ‘odds and ends’; a raffle; a BBQ and; refreshments.
- Practically Green Festival Eltham (Sun 14 Oct) – live music, games, community art project, market stalls, free workshops and exhibitions, food trucks and community performances.
- Italiano Day Preston Market (Sun 14 Oct) – free live music & song from traditional bands & groups, a delicious selection of traditional Italian pop-up food stalls & fun activities!
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 14 Oct) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds. Full review.
- Prehistoric Museum Playdates (Tue 16 Oct) – A celebration of all things ancient from the smallest trilobite to the largest sauropod at Melbourne Museum. Every Tuesday until 11 Dec.
- Darebin Music Feast (Thu 18 Oct – Sun 28 Oct) – Running for over 20 years, the 11-day festival is a celebration of Darebin’s musical community.
WHAT’S ON IN MELBOURNE’S SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Seaside Street Food Festival (Thu 11 Oct – Sun 14 Oct) – modern waterfront setting and stellar entertainment line-up.
- Prahran Market Kids’ Activities (Fri 12 Oct– Thu 18 Oct) – every market day Prahran Market offers face painting, an animal farm, kids dance classes and music – most activities are free and no bookings necessary.
- Jurassic Creatures (Sat 13 Oct – Sun 21 Oct) – dinosaur exhibition with animatronics, interactive zones, rides. Full review.
- Melbourne Meccano Exhibition (Sat 13 Oct – Sun 14 Oct) – two halls of eyecatching, colourful Meccano creations.
- Mememto Mori Crafternoon (Sat 13 Oct) – artist Justin Hinder will lead kids to discuss the important people or animals in their lives to create a memento mori.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 13 Oct) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Pet’s Day Out Frankston (Sun 14 Oct) – pet related entertainment, activities and giveaways.
- Spring into Gardening (Sun 14 Oct) – event for getting inspiration and tips on gardening and sustainable living.
- Mornington Railway (Sun 14 Oct) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Young at Art at Mornington Peninsula Art Gallery (Tue 16 Oct) – program for 0-5 year olds. Sing, dance, clap and stomp your feet with Matteo! Do an exciting activity with the Education Coordinator afterwards.
- Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 17 Oct) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
WHAT’S ON IN MELBOURNE’S EAST
- Tesselaar Tulip Festival (Fri 12 Oct – Sun 14 Oct) – tulip fields, live entertainment, market stalls and tempting foods. Full review.
- Melbourne Tram Museum (Sat 13 Oct) – Visit a Melbourne icon at this quirky museum. FULL REVIEW.
- Shedfest Yarra Valley (Sat 13 Oct – Sun 14 Oct) – celebrating the providence of grape-to-glass production of premium locally produced wine with family friendly event.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 14 Oct) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- Touch a Truck Community Festival (Sun 14 Oct) – 30+ vehicles from vintage cars to big rigs for the kids to touch, honk horns and explore, jumping castle, face painting, animal farm, market stalls.
- Belgrave Big Dreams Market (Sun 14 Oct) – discover original and bespoke design pieces, some of the yummiest and freshest produce the area has to offer, live music, bouncy castle and face painting for the kids.
- Wiggles Play Zone Eastland (Mon 15 Oct– Sat 22 Oct) – Kids can explore four Wiggles inspired rooms where they’ll enjoy dancing, singing, reading and a making an exclusive take home Wiggles sippy cup.
- Heide Art Babies (Tue 16 Oct) – art program is dedicated to babies, crawlers and their carers, and focuses on the important role art plays in infant development. Full review.
- Wallaby Wednesdays Healesville Sanctuary (Wed 17 Oct) – Kids can dress up as wallabies with wallaby face painting, wallaby ears and wallaby tails for pouch races, hopping games and wallaby trails.
WHAT’S ON IN MELBOURNE’S WEST
- Silver Circus Melton (Fri 12 Oct – Sun 21 Oct) – Silvers circus presents a line up of stunning international artists, Las Vegas style illusions and captivating production techniques.
- Flemington-Kensington Festival of Arts & Ideas (Fri 12 Oct – Sun 21 Oct) – Artists, musicians, performers, dancers, jewellers, designers, theatre groups, creative individuals, groups and arts.
- BODY WORLDS Vital (Fri 12 Oct – 13 Nov) – BODY WORLDS is the original exhibition of real human bodies – seen by 46 million visitors globally.
- Celebrating 20 Years of Sunshine (Fri 12 Oct – Sat 13 Oct) – Free Fairy Floss and Face painting, WILD ACTION Animals stage shows, Breakdancing and busking workshops, Muffin Break Cookie Decorating workshops, AFL Handball Competition, Extra Birthday Fun with the community library and more!
- Little Red Train Werribee (Sat 13 Oct – Sun 14 Oct) – take a trackless train ride through picturesque Werribee Park. FULL REVIEW.
- Out On The Weekend (Sat 13 Oct) – incredible local talent plus international stars taking the stages at the beautiful Seaworks site in waterfront Williamstown.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 13 Oct) – Essendon Traffic School is a mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights. Full review.
- Little Lorikeets Spring Fair (Sat 13 Oct) – live music, hand made craft, craft activities, face painting, treasure hunts. Fundraiser event for the Little Lorikeets Steiner Playgroup.
- Yarraville Markets (Sat 13 Oct) – indoor market full of delicious handmade, gorgeous products
- Food Truck Precinct Tabcorp Park Melton (Sat 13 Oct) – Free Kids Entertainment, Free Entry, Live Harness Racing, DJ on the Lawn, After Party in the Sports Bar and the all important Food Trucks on the main lawn.
- Mini Zoo Keepers Werribee Zoo (Sat 13 Oct, Tue 16 Oct, Thu18 Oct) – Children aged 2-5 years and their adults can go on an intimate guided tour with a Zookeeper to help look after some of the special animals in the zoo.
- World Vegan Day Melbourne (Sun 14 Oct) – Whether you are passionate about health and wellbeing, fitness, cooking, beauty and body care, fashion, kids and family activities, politics, business, animal rights, sustainability, self-sufficiency, music, creativity, or just love devouring delicious food and drinks.
- VIP Day Pacific Werribee (Thu 18 Oct) – OVER 100 exclusive one day offers, giveaways and amazing events – including the Beauty Hub, Flat Lay Station, Selfie Station, Mini Fashionistas and more!
- Mini Makers Highpoint (Wed 17 Oct) – free weekly drop in creative classes for under 5s.
- Toddler Thursdays Werribee Zoo (Thu 18 Oct) – Toddler Thursdays brings the African Village to life with activities like face painting, crafts, hair braiding, music, and more.
- Arty Tales Incinerator Gallery (Thu 18 Oct) – Introduce your pre-schooler to art with early learning program Arty Tales. Full review.