Splashland, Melbourne’s popular inflatable water slide park, is popping up again this summer at Caulfield Racecourse from Thursday 27 December to Thursday 24 January 2019.
We are invited to visit on a perfect summer’s day. The parking on site is easy and close to the entrance and the kids are ready to start sliding from 10am while I set up home base and a picnic.
Splashland offers two sessions per day – a morning or afternoon session from 10am – 1pm or 1pm – 4pm. As there are not too many people around at 1pm we are not asked to go, so we hang around until around 1:30pm.
The water park features eight slides. Kids and adult sliders are given a different colour wristband depending on age – over 5s and under 5s (3-5 years).
Note that due to slide height restrictions kids 3-5 years can only go on three of the slides unless they are 110cm tall, in which case they can go on four slides.
Kids 5+ years/110cm tall will get the most out of the slides. The 5-12yr olds are pretty much able to slide on everything unlimited for the three hours.
Adults and teens 13+ years have the choice of a slider ($20) or non-slider ticket (free). Adults can only go on five of the slides.
Six year old Baby 2.0 enjoys the water obstacle course the most. He returns again and again to the latter with his buddies. It is set up as a race and attendants keep friends/family together.
Away from the main action are the more challenging slides.
Launch Pad is very steep and ends with a ‘bump’ at the end that’s supposed to make you airborne…
….while the Trippo is a three-pronged slide, 40 foot high and 54m long slide that Baby 2.0 calls ‘fantastic’.
Only children 3-5 years are generally allowed on the smaller slides, though 8 year old Lady AB and her friend managed to sneak on because there were no little ones around. Note these slides are still quite steep and children need to be able to climb up themselves to slide.
As such, entertainment for the under 5s is limited and it’s not really worth taking them along unless they have older siblings. There is no water play apart from the slides and obstacle course, though you can get splashy under the sprinklers.
We find three hours to be plenty of time for play. Baby 2.0 spends the whole time slipping and sliding non-stop while Lady AB spends about half the time reading a book.
Facilities inside Splashland include shaded picnic tables in the central area as well as some tree shade near the slides.
You can grab ice cream, coffee and snacks from the undercover kiosks. We BYO everything which makes the outing more economical.
On a sunny day Splashland is a great day out for kids 5+ years. Don’t miss the splashy fun this summer
- best suited to families with older kids 5+ years and, if you can, go with other kids who are 5+. It will make lining up and the obstacle course a lot more fun;
- Children age 3-5yo have three slides to choose from;
- Adults are only allowed on five slides;
- Adults can get a free non-slider ticket;
- Remember the hats and sunscreen;
- Change rooms, toilets and drinking water on site;
- The cafes accept cards;
- Plenty of free parking on site;
- Short distance from Caulfield Station;
- Entry and parking is at Gate 2 of Caulfield Racecourse, near Kambrook Rd; and
- Tickets are available online or at the gate. All sessions are subject to cancellation for bad weather in which case a refund or alternate session are offered.