Are your kids already planning their Halloween costumes and begging you to take them trick-or-treating?
When I was young Halloween was not a big deal – more of an event that I enjoyed from afar in Hollywood films or TV shows.
Nowadays Halloween is getting bigger in Australia and the number of events happening in Melbourne is growing.
To help you plan your spookiest festivities here’s a list of Halloween events in Melbourne for kids and suitable for families generally. Check your local library for Halloween related story-time and events too.
Halloween Events in Melbourne CBD
- Halloween/Day of The Dead Artplay (Sat 27 Oct) -Explore three different customs and the meanings behind them. Carve pumpkins (or in this case melons as they are easier to cut.) Decorate Sugar skulls, dress up as a zombie and make fake wounds.
- Halloween at Old Melbourne Gaol (Wed 31 Oct) – From 5.30pm, wander the quiet cells and hallways of the city’s darkest corners, hear bone-strumming tales of unexplained sights, and listen carefully for the creaking of the Hangman’s rope.
- The Lost Forests Halloween Experience (Wed 31 Oct) – The Lost Forests’ witchy storyteller will take you on a flight around the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel where she will tell supernatural stories and play spine-chilling games while you are surrounded by sensational views of Melbourne, followed by some trick or treating in the Forest and a Halloween-themed feast!
- Camp Creepy Playtime (Sun 4 Nov) – Win prizes, meet the Camp Creepy residents, enter the Ghost Vortex if you dare, hunt for candy and much more
Halloween Events in Melbourne – NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Lollipops Bundoora Annual Halloween Party (Fri 26 Oct) – dress up, spooky lucky dip.
- Diamond Creek Trick or Treat (Sat 27 Oct) – Dress up in costumer and wander the streets of Diamond Creek, Trick or Treating the businesses.
- Crocs Playcentre Epping (Wed 31 Oct) – super-fun Halloween party night with lots of activities and decorations. Entry is $15 per child which includes a Snappy Meal!
- Crocs Playcentre Reservoir (Wed 31 Oct) – super-fun Halloween party night with lots of activities and decorations. Entry is $15 per child which includes a Snappy Meal!
- Halloween Behind the Scenes Melbourne Museum (Wed 31 Oct) – special Halloween edition of our members behind the scenes tours will take you through three different collection stores. Suitable for 12+ years.
- Halloween Kids Trick or Treat Maze (Wed 31 Oct) – Dress up in your Halloween costume and walk through our spooky Halloween Maze.
- Nicholson Street Trick or Treat Carlton (Wed 31 Oct) – Trick-or-treaters are invited to visit shops along Nicholson Street for special and spooky treats!
- Watsyvania Watsonia Shopping Centre (Wed 31 Oct) – come dressed in your costumes and Trick or Treat from 4 – 6pm at participating Watsonia Shops. Visit our Haunted House (open from 4pm until 7pm), have your face painted and be spooked by Count von Boogie!
- Melbourne Cemetery Halloween Night Tours (Wed 31 Oct) – experienced guides will ‘introduce’ you to Melbourne General Cemetery’s who’s who, while giving you fascinating insights into one of Australia’s most historically significant cemeteries. There’s a special children’s tour running at 7pm.
Halloween Events in Melbourne – SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Halloween Disco Lollipops Noble Park (Fri 26 Oct) – prizes for best costume and face painting will be available.
- Halloween Party Thompsons Parkway (Fri 26 Oct) – Come and enjoy trick or treating in a safe friendly environment, free family entertainment with face painting, fairy floss and kids’ carnival ride.
- Monster Mash The Messy Shed Mornington (Fri 26 Oct) – Halloween Disco including messy play.
- Luna Dark at Luna Park (Fri 26 Oct – Wed 31 Oct) – Get set to scream this Halloween as Melbourne’s Luna Park transforms into Luna Dark, a spook-tacular Halloween weekend full of Carn-Evil delights!
- Halloween Treats Prahran (Sat 27 Oct) – one-off, special, spooktacular cooking class creating a creepy, kooky range of Halloween treats!
- Halloween at Sk8house (Sat 27 Oct) – Dance the night away to Thriller, Monster Mash, Time Warp and many more ghostly favorites. Prize for best costume.
- Halloween on the Green (Sat 27 Oct) – Local musicians, roving circus performers and musicians, sack races, poison ball games, food stalls and tarot reading.
- Halloween Fitzroy Steet (Sat 27 Oct) – stilt walkers, fire twirlers, and face painters.
- Gumbooya Halloween Spectacular (Sat 27 Oct – Sun 28 Oct) – Your favourite Hotel Transylvania characters are bringing their fiendishly funny stage show to Gumbuya World, “Trick or Treat” Treasure Hunt, Face Painting and a Costume Competition!
- Spooky Weekend The Big Goose (Sat 27 Oct – Sun 28 Oct) – prizes to be won as well as fun and games all included in your special entry price over the Halloween weekend.
- Dandenong Market celebrates Halloween (Sun 28 Oct) – trick or treat, magic show, balloon art.
- Day of Spook Boneo Maze (Sun 28 Oct) – balloon artists, face painters, kids crafts and costume competitions
- Halloween Hampton Street (Wed 31 Oct) – children’s disco & BBQ at the Community Center in Willis Street.
- Halloween at the Old Cheese Factory (Wed 31 Oct) – treat making, haunted inflatable maze, giant inflatable slide, Halloween themed children’s disco, mask making, face painting and various Halloween themed areas to explore and participate in trick or treating.
- Crocs Playcentre Carnegie (Wed 31 Oct) – super-fun Halloween party night with lots of activities and decorations. Entry is $15 per child which includes a Snappy Meal!
- Crocs Playcentre Knox (Wed 31 Oct) – super-fun Halloween party night with lots of activities and decorations. Entry is $15 per child which includes a Snappy Meal!
- Spooktober St Kilda Town Hall (Wed 31 Oct – Sun 4 Nov) –free entry on festival grounds, family-friendly haunt for kids 6+ years and two haunts for mature audiences.
Halloween Events in Melbourne – EAST
- Hauntville (Fri 19 Oct – Sun 28 Oct) – two haunted houses, witches cauldron Fright Night bar, food festival, performers, spooky games, entertainment. WIN TICKETS!
- Hedgend Halloween (Fri 19 Oct – Tue 30 Oct) – Spooky themed family activities PLUS get FULL access to 20 acres of amazing Halloween fun at Hedgend Maze.
- Crocs Playcentre Ringwood (Wed 31 Oct) – super-fun Halloween party night with lots of activities and decorations. Entry is $15 per child which includes a Snappy Meal!
- Kew Junction Trick or Treat (Wed 31 Oct) – in-store Trick or Treating all day, roving performers.
- Halloween Mooroolbark Miniature Railway (Wed 31 Oct) – Train rides are $2.50 each, children under four are free. The kiosk will be open selling sausages and drinks, or BYO dinner. Dress up!
- Burwood Village Halloween Street Party (Wed 31 Oct) – treats, a haunted tunnel, photos with magical princesses and super hero, freaky activities, family dinner offers and a movie after dark.
Halloween Events in Melbourne – WEST
- Kids Halloween Disco The Enchanted Studios (Fri 26 Oct) – music, dancing, face painting and balloon twisting. Tricks and Treats (and drinks) provided – there will be pizza, spooky snacks and drinks for all. Lucky door and best costume prizes.
- Boo at the Zoo Werribee Zoo (Fri 26 Oct – Sat 27 Oct) – Come dressed in costume, enjoy kids’ activities, themed music and food in the spookiest event of the year.
- Learn the Thriller Dance (Sat 28 Oct) – two hour workshop will have you bustin’ out those Thriller moves. This workshop is for singles, couples & families. PLUS picnic and Thriller dance together in Yarraville Gardens to follow.
- Rabbit Hole-oween (Tue 30 Oct – Wed 31 Oct) – Hotel Transylvania Meet & Greet, Halloween Costume Competition, Halloween Face Painting. Monster dance party, Trick or Treat.
- Halloween Scavenger Hunt & Disco (Wed 31 Oct) – $8 entry which includes our scary scavenger hunt aswell as playtime whilst we have our disco lights and music on.
- Halloween Craft and Caffeine (Wed 31 Oct) – Halloween crafts, kids scavenger hunt.. We are open til 7pm the creepiest night of the year for trick or treaters to visit for lolly bags.
- Crocs Playcentre Keilor (Wed 31 Oct) – Trick or Treat with Mr Croc and a best costume comp. Entry is $15 per child which includes a Snappy Meal! Trick or Treat with Mr Croc and a best costume competition.
- Crocs Playcentre Derrimut (Wed 31 Oct) – super-fun Halloween party night with lots of activities and decorations. Entry is $15 per child which includes a Snappy Meal! Kazoos show at no extra charge.
- Halloween Yarraville Village (Wed 31 Oct) – At 4pm the Trick or Treat begins in the Village. Then make your way to the Ballarat St Pop-up Park by 6pm for spot prizes for Scariest, Silliest and most creative costumes!
- Halloween Moonee Ponds Central (Wed 31 Oct) – Be the first 150 kids to receive a trick or treat bag* and a map to navigate around the centre.
- Sunshine Short Film Festival (Wed 31 Oct) – A Halloween themed Carnival. It’s about a circus crossed with a house of horrors, spooks and goblins and evil clowns, Masquerade and Masks.
- Spooktacular Newport (Wed 31 Oct) – games, activities, sweet and healthy treats, face painting, creatures that go bump in the night, and more!
- Halloween Disco (Fri 2 Nov) – Get the kids dressed up in their favourite halloween costume and come join us for the biggest kids disco of the year.