School holidays can be an expensive affair, so here’s a list of my Top 12 free winter school holiday events Melbourne.
- Winter Street Party Werribee (Fri 29 Jun) – See the city light up after dark, with beautiful light installations, street performers, kids’ activities and warming winter treats from city traders.
- New York! New York! For Kids NGV (until Sun 7 Oct) – free drop-in installation exploring New York.
- Colour Labyrinth ArtPlay (until Sun 15 Jul) – Light a torch to navigate the ever changing labyrinth, choose your own adventure through amazing worlds in this interactive installation.
- Footy Fest Highpoint (Mon 2 Jul – Fri 13 Jul) – Skill workshops, player ‘meet and greets’, AFL card swaps, interactive games, prizes and more.
- State Library of Victoria (Mon 2 Jul – Thu 5 Jul) – free classes and workshops.
- Modern Drawing NGV (Mon 2 Jul – Fri 6 Jul) – free drop-by drawing activities inspired by works of modern and contemporary art in MoMA at NGV: 130 Years of Modern and Contemporary Art exhibition.
- Dandenong Market (Sat 30 Jun – Sun 15 Jul) – free kids craft workshops.
- Wheeler Kids (Mon 2 Jul – Wed 11 Jul) – literary kid-friendly events.
- Jojo Siwa Eastland (Tue 3 Jul) – live musical performances and fashion parades.
- Snow Storm Maze Eastland (Wed 4 Jul – Sun 15 Jul) – make your way through the snow storm maze!
- Winter Fest Moonee Ponds (until Sun 15 Jul) – ice skating, music, free events.
- Docklands Firelight Festival (Sat 30 Jun – Sun 1 Jul) – the traditions of a winter solstice and a modern celebration of arts, music, food, fire and fun.
Also remember that your local library and Melbourne Library Service hold free events plus check out these ongoing free exhibitions:
- Shrine Kids – free discovery trail for children at the Shrine of Remembrance. Full review.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (until 19 Aug) – free play space with a changing theme every season. Full review.
Finally check out the following lists for free inspiration: