Children’s Week is a national celebration of the talents, skills, achievements and rights of children. This year events are running from Saturday 21 October to Sunday 29 October with the theme that education has the power to transform children’s lives.
All Children’s Week events are free for Victorian families with children aged 0-12 years. Share your adventures using the hashtag #childrensweek and #childrensweekvic
- ArtPlay Inside Out (Wed 25 Oct, Thu 26 Oct) – free drop in creative play for kids 5 and under. Full review.
- Collingwood Toy Library (Sat 21 Oct) – Creative workshop using tactile materials with author and illustrator Tai Snaith for 5-10 year olds. Plus a stay and play session for 0-6 year olds, learn to play new board games for 7-12 year olds and a sausage sizzle for the whole family. Other events up to Friday 27 October.
- Rockin @ Redleap (Sun 22 Oct) – performances, storytime, face painting, animal farm at Mill Park.
- The Plant/Sustainability Cycle Collingwood Children’s Farm (Mon 23 Oct) – guided tour will have the children follow sustainable cycles around the Farm in a hands-on, practical way looking at how waste from one system can sustain another.
- Melbourne Museum – Romp & Stomp Fun Day for Children (Wed 25 Oct) – live music, storytelling, art and craft, and dress-ups.\
- Nature Play Banyule (Thu 26 Oct) – Join us for a gentle walk through Brown’s Reserve. Enjoy the eucalypt woodland, picturesque stream and views across the valley. Learn about the late Maternal and Child Health Nurse, Alma Brown who made this opportunity possible. Followed by light refreshments and nature activities for children. Also Sun 29 Oct.
- Darebin City Council (Thu 26 Oct) – Join our story time, singing and messy play activities.
- Hume Universal Children’s Day (Wed 25 Oct) – drumming, multicultural crafts, storytelling, games and a vintage fire truck. Lunch will also be provided!
- City of Stonnington (Mon 23 Oct – Sun 29 Oct) – various activities.
- City of Monash – Family Fun Day in the Park (Tue 24 Oct) – Enjoy free activities for children, while also accessing useful information for families.
- City of Casey – Children’s Week Celebration (Thu 27 Oct) – face painting, boat making, music, trash puppets, bubbles and pot planting
- Glen Eira Council – Children’s Festival (Sat 28 Oct) – Lego, storytelling and book swap, balloon creations, face painting and craft activities.
- Children’s and History Week Gallery and Garden Party Belgrave Lake Park Cottage Playgroup (Sat 21 Oct) – Help us to celebrate the opening of a new Indigenous Sensory Garden featuring a dry-river bed, Indigenous plants and mosaic rock art.
- Boroondara Family Fun Day (Sat 21 Oct) – craft activities by Boroondara Library Services, performances by local groups, come-and-try activities with the YMCA, puppet making workshops.
- Children’s Week Manningham (Tue 24 Oct) – Celebrate Children’s Week with the Flying Bookworm Theatre Company’s live performances .
- Yarra Ranges Council – Children’s Week Celebrations (Thu 26 Oct) – variety of family orientated activities held in various locations throughout the Yarra Ranges every weekday.
- Maroondah City Council (Fri 27 Oct) – Entertainment and parent information, including Polyglot Theatre, “The Music Man”, Road safety with “Lottie the Lollypop Lady”, Storytelling, face painting, free sausage sizzle.
- Manningham Toy Library Messy Play (Sun 29 Oct) – approximately 10-14 stations with different ‘messy’ activities.
- Child and Family Expo Maribyrnong (Wed 25 Oct) -free activities including face painting, balloon twisting, storytime, henna, football, children’s craft, indigenous activities and more.
- Wyndham City Council – Children’s Week Picnic (Sun 22 Oct) – Sports, crafts, music, dance and many more activities.
- Free Family Fun Day at the Potato Shed (Sun 22 Oct) – live pantomime, live music, face painting, animal farm with pony rides, bungee run, skate park, crafts, storytelling, Sports Zone and much more.
- Little Kids Day In Scienceworks (Mon 23 Oct) – Touch real dinosaur fossils from our museum’s collection, explore dinosaurs through a range of play-based activities, and stomp along to live performances.
- Hobson’s Bay Children’s Week Picnic (Wed 25 Oct) – jumping castles, face painting, music, live entertainment, pop up playgroup, story time, dance workshop, animal farm, craft activities and much more.
- Moonee Valley City Council (Wed 25 Oct – Sun 29 Oct) – various events.
- Brimbank Playgroup Picnic (Thu 26 Oct) – fun, family friendly day full of interactive as well as educational activities for children and families.
- Family Fun Day Melton (Thu 26 Oct) – animal farm, arts and crafts, sports and outdoor games, indigenous storytelling, emergency services and much more.
- Sunbury Messy Play Day (Thu 26 Oct) – Join in the fun and come dressed in the colours of the rainbow. The morning will have messy, crafty, sensory play, and other activities and story time, followed by a rainbow healthy lunch.
- Geelong’s BIG Play Day (Tue 24 Oct) – performances by the Mik Maks, Mister Ants, Krazy Koala and Dazzling Dan. There will be hula hooping, an animal farm, African Drumming, music work shops, story telling, physical activities, art and craft and lots more