Parents: If you think your days of clubbing are over, think again!
I dig out all the reflective gear I own for Lady AB and I to wear for the party theme – Rave! Each rave has a different theme.
The venue changes each time. During our visit La Di Da is relatively small, with a dance floor and a side area where the craft is located. There is a face-painting ($5-$10), free transfer tattoos…
…a giant colouring mural, play-doh table and a wearable craft activity.
It’s really hectic in that area, with a bottleneck to get in and out, so we quickly find a quiet corner to hang out and to acclimatise ourselves to the dim light and sound. It’s good to have a space to break out from the intensity of the dance floor too.
We BYO snacks and water but you can buy food and drinks from the licensed bar, plus there is a cake stall.
As it is a family rave note that there is limited seating and to create a rave ambience the lights are low. The music volume is moderate but just in case I bring headphones for Lady AB, which also act as a cute prop!
On the dance floor families are bopping away, with bubble machines and giant balloons making an appearance to much delight.
The raves run for 2.5 hours but after we’re done after 1.5 hours. If you have under 5s I think you can expect to stay for 60-90 minutes, so you can afford to turn up a bit later when the crowd has thinned a bit as people start leaving.
Big Fish Little Fish is particularly targeted at families with children 8 years and under. I think it’s best for kids are at either end of the age spectrum. For instance, babies are great because you can wear in a carrier and dance with a drink or a glow-stick, hands-free! And up to 3 years they are still light enough to pop on your shoulders.
Older kids are more independent so you’re free to let loose a little bit (though of course adults are responsible for their children at all times).
Big Fish Little Fish is a fun event that brings something of a dance music festival atmosphere to families. The vibe is relaxed and positive and it’s an opportunity for adults to enjoy themselves as much as children.
- generally suitable for kids 8 and under;
- raves run for 2.5 hours but if you have under 5s expect to stay for 60-90 minutes;
- tickets sell out so book in advance, tickets not available at door;
- lighting is dim, which may not suit all children;
- music volume is moderate but if you or your kids are concerned about music volume BYO earplugs or headphones;
- maximum of 3 children per adult and 4 adults per child;
- Non-walking infants are free but you will still need to book a ticket for the baby as the baby will count against the capacity of the venue;
- Try not to bring a pram. Pram Parking is available though and prams are not allowed on the dance floor. Change facilities are also available;
- there is a chill-outl out space;
- drinks and food available for purchase or BYO; and
- events are standing with limited seating.
Big Fish Little Fish, various locations Melbourne
Early Bird $15-$23 (pre-walkers free)
General $17-$25 (pre-walkers free)