The Foxtel Footy Festival is a fantastic FREE event that showcases Melbourne’s food, music, movies, and of course, AFL football. It’s located in Yarra Park outside Gate 3 of the MCG and running for four days from Wednesday, September 28 until Grand Final day, Saturday, October 1.
If you’re coming with kids then make a beeline for the dedicated Kids Zone for lots of free fun.
Explore the CBeebies area and step inside the wonderful world of Hey Duggee and go on an awesome adventure with Go Jetters!
There are ipad activities, colouring-in, magnetic puzzles and character meet and greets throughout the day.
In the Disney Junior zone pick up a ‘Jake and the Neverland Pirates’ sword and some Mickey Mouse ears, play cars with Cars and meet more of your favourite Disney characters.
Older kids will love the Nickelodeon Slime Lab – bring a change of clothes!
There’s also opportunities to kick..
…and even fly a drone!
If you’re hungry Woolworths provide free fruit in the Kids Zone or head to the ‘Lifestyle Taste of Football’ area with stalls by Melbourne restaurants such as Biggie Smalls, Mistress Estelle and Burch & Purchese.
Check out the full Foxtel Footy Festival program including free Minions movie on Thursday 29 September and a Grand Final Eve concert in Yarra Park on Friday, September 30.
- entry is free;
- parking is hard to find, street parking is normally limited to 1 hour;
- nearest train station Jolimont or tram #48 and #75;
- wear shoes that are easy to take on and off if kids are likely to want to go on inflatables;
- ground can get muddy so don’t wear your best shoes or wear gumboots;
- take a reusable shopping bag so you can carry all the free paraphernalia you collect from the stands; and
- take water, hat, sunscreen – not many water taps around as far as I could see.