Less than 4 weeks till Christmas and the first week for the TOT Christmas Activity Advent Calendar!
This week I’m madly prepping for three huge shopping days for The Big Design Market in Melbourne (1-3 December). If you’re dropping in please come say hi to me at the CycleStyle stand – I’m at D31, right at the back near the Kids Activities and St Ali Coffee/Ace Cookies.
Also remember to save the date for the last Wheelie Good Fun event of 2017 – a family festive picnic at Footscray Park with lots of free activities to enjoy. Have a great week!
CBD / Docklands
- Santa’s Post Box (Fri 1 Dec – Fri 15 Dec) – write a letter to Santa and receive a personalised response. Post outside the Australia Post GPO and The District, Docklands.
- Gingerbread Village by Epicure (Fri 1 Dec – Sun 24 Dec) – Admire iconic Melbourne landmarks and locations all made out of gingerbread. Entry is by nominal gold coin donation and all proceeds go to the Royal Children’s Hospital. FULL REVIEW.
- Christmas at Old Treasury (Fri 1 Dec – Fri 5 Jan) – The Old Treasury Building is once again showcasing homemade decorations of the 1920s!
- Myer Christmas Windows (Fri 1 Dec – Sun 7 Jan) – The 62nd annual Myer Melbourne Christmas Windows are based on the original story of Elf and ‘The completely and utterly, absolutely perfect Christmas’ written and illustrated by H C Floren. Full review.
- The District food truck park (Fri 1 Dec) – food truck park every Friday through summer. Full review.
- Christmas Federation Square (Fri 1 Dec – 25 Dec) – magical Christmas wonderland offering festive fun for the whole family.
- Myer Giftorium and Santaland (Fri 1 Dec – Sat 24 Dec ) – Your one-stop Christmas shop plus meet Santa and ride on his train.
- Santa’s Tree House (Fri 1 Dec – Sun 24 Dec) – Santa Claus is settling into his tree house at The District Docklands and will be available for photos daily. Plus, each child that visits Santa Claus will receive a free colouring-in book with pencils to take home.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 1 Dec – Tue 5 Dec) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. This season’s theme is The Very Noisy Bear.
- Wallace & Gromit and Friends: The Magic of Aardman (Fri 1 Dec – Sun 29 Jan) – take an extraordinary trip from sketches and models through to elaborate sets as these beloved characters take shape on screen. Full review.
- The Pool: Architecture, Culture and Identity ( Fri 1 Dec – Thu 1 Feb 2018) – A multi-sensory installation of water, light, scent and sound, The Pool is an interactive space, complete with wooden decking and pool lounge chairs.
- MPavilion (Fri 1 Dec – Sun 4 Feb 2018 ) – An event hub, a meeting place and an invitation to experiment, each MPavilion brings creative collaborators together to present a free, four-month program of talks, workshops, performances and installations from October to February.
- Christmas Projection Show (Fri 1 Dec – Mon 25 Dec) – This Christmas will see City of Melbourne’s annual Christmas Projection Show at Melbourne Town Hall extend to Fed Square, decorating the Swanston Street facades with festive cheer.
- Fair@Square Federation Square (Sat 2 Dec) – The Fair@Square Festival celebrates ethical, sustainable, morally responsible behaviour; designed to nourish mind, body and soul.
- Christmas Events David Jones (Sat2 Dec – Sun 3 Dec) – face painting and other festive events.
- Polly Woodside Pirate Day (Sun 3 Dec) -Dress as a pirate and come help us search for hidden treasure, join in on the pirate games and even scrub the decks!
- ACMI’s Family Sundays (Sun 3 Dect ) – day for families to come together and interact with screen culture in all its forms with different theme each month.
- Queen Victoria Night Market (Wed 6 Dec) – Eat and drink your way around the world one dish at a time with more than 50 street food traders cooking up a global feast plus specialty shopping and entertainment.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Coburg Night Market (Fri 1 Dec – Fri 15 Dec) – artisanal offerings, street food slingers and feel-good tunes for 4 weeks.
- The Big Design Market (Fri 1 Dec – Sun 3 Dec) – Australia’s biggest design market with 200+ stalls, food, entertainment, kids activities.
- Kids Craft Preston Market (Sat 2 Dec) – free drop in activities every Saturday.
- Emma Middleton The Little Bookroom (Sat 2 Dec) – Join Emma for a ‘Lion Play’ storytime workshop: children will interact with the story through drama, puppetry, music, art demonstrations and craft!
- Barkly Square Open Air Cinema (Sat 2 Dec) – weekly screenings with a charitable edge within a unique urban environment.
- Coburg Farmers Market (Sat 2 Dec) – farmers market every Saturday near Harmony Park playground.
- Bundoora Park Farmers Market (Sat 2 Dec) – fresh produce at Bundoora Park with awesome playground and Bundoora Park Farm.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 3 Nov) – Miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds. Full review.
- Brunswick Flea Market (Sun 3 Dec) – New and vintage furniture, household items and clothing.
- Family Day at Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sun 3 Dec) – enjoy Pony Rides, Tractor rides, Guinea Pig cuddles and an affordable BBQ.
- Northcote Twilight Kris Kringle Market (Thu 7 Dec) – purchase fashion, textiles, skin products, plants, jewellery, ceramics and an array of Christmas gifts. Live entertainment, licensed bar, food and free activities for children.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Summer Nights Live Gasworks (Fri 1 Dec) – For two Friday evenings in December enjoy live music, local produce food and wine with the local community.
- Santa’s Magical Kingdom (Fri 1 Dec – Sat 23 Dec) – magical Christmas walk-through wonderland, Snow Castle and Activity Land, Christmas craft area, Ferris Wheel, Santa’s Sleigh Ride and Australia’s largest super slide. Full review.
- Twilight Christmas Festival Ripponlea (Fri 1 Dec) – Christmas carols, games, artisan market stalls, Christmas craft workshops and mansion tours.
- Small Giants Christmas Fete St Kilda (Sat 2 Dec) – All your shopping in the one place. Plus refreshments and a great day out!
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 2 Dec) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Knox Carols (Sat 2 Dec) – free family fairground featuring rides, games, and arts and crafts.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 2 Dec) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Scandinavian Bazaar at Swedish Church (Sat 2 Dec – Sun 3 Dec) – Scandinavian arts, crafts, food and entertainment in gorgeous surroundings.
- Mornington Railway (Sun 3 Nov) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Portable Iron Houses tour (Sun 3 Nov) – Get an insight into life during the Gold Rush era when you visit one of the few remaining pre-fabricated iron buildings in the world.
- Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 6 Nov) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Maling Road Kriskindl (Fri 1 Dec) – Meet Santa, go on some great rides, enjoy our live entertainment and sample some quality food.
- Babes to Kids Market Caribbean Gardens (Fri 1 Dec) – new and preloved baby gear, free train rides and face painting.
- Cherry Picking Cherryhill Orchards (Fri 1 Dec – Jan 2017) – Pick your own cherries and enjoy cherry treats.
- Maroondah Carols (Sat 2 Dec) – preshow entertainment from 6pm and the night will conclude with a stunning fireworks.
- All for Kids Market (Sat 2 Dec) – Discover a collection of boutique and preloved pieces from over 50 stalls.
- Homemade Christmas Workshops Eastland (Sat 2 Dec – Thu 21 Dec) – explore and create the magic of a homemade Christmas at the Eastland Design Studio.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 3 Dec) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill.
- Carols by Candlelight Richmond (Thu 7 Dec) –featuring the Australian Girls’ Choir and the Melbourne Rainbow Band, local school and community acts and a special appearance from Santa! along with food and drink stalls.
- Moonlit Markets Eastland (Thu 7 Dec) – up to 60 stalls from local designers, artisans and artists. Find an assortment of fashion, jewellery, art, homewares and delights for the kids.
- Williamstown Night Market (Fri 1 Dec) – antiques, retro vintage, books, jewellery, photography, and reclaimed wood furniture, handmade crafted and fashioned goods locally made beauty products, kid’s clothes toys and doggy items.
- Geelong Food Truck Fiesta (Fri 1 Dec – Sun 3 Dec) – more than 25 food vendors, live music and featuring exclusive offers including Espresso Martini’s and limitless dog-pats.
- Christmas in Central Geelong (Fri 1 Dec – 7 Jan) – free Christmas trail with augmented reality, Christmas windows, art installations, Wall Art and more. Full review.
- LightTime Scienceworks (Fri 1 Dec onwards) – a collective of 11 Melbourne based artists who have created hypnotic and mesmerising works. Full review.
- Christmas on Union Road (Sat 2 Dec) – street festival including Santa, Face-painting, Jumping castle, balloon elf, vintage fire truck rides, pop-up bar, sausage sizzle, twilight carols and much more.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 2 Dec and Thu 7 Dec) – circus class for 18 month -5 year olds. READ THE REVIEW.
- Christmas Bazaar (Sat 2 Dec) – pop up market at Kindred Studios including free Kiddyrock workshops.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 2 Dec) – Essendon Traffic School is a mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights.
- Little Red Train Werribee (Sat 2 Dec – Sun 2 Dec) – take a trackless train ride through picturesque Werribee Park. Full review.
- High Tea Overnewton Castle (Sun 3 Dec) – and historical tour at 11am.
- Strawberry Forest (Sun 3 Nov) – vertical strawberry picking every Sunday. Full review.
- Bulla Hill Railway (Sun 3 Dec) – Every 1st and 3rd Sunday the ride this the dinosaur trail on the miniature railway. FULL REVIEW
- Carols by Candlelight Laverton (Sun 3 Dec) – Featuring Hobsons Bay City Band, Laverton Choir, Laverton P-12 Choir, Newport Fiddle and Folk Club, Ukelele Dolls, Willin Wimmin and a visit from Santa.
- Family Christmas Fair (Sun 3 Dec) – Peppa Pig, Free rides, Face painting and more.
- Rotary Christmas Fair Williamstown (Sun 3 Dec) – Free rides, Entertainment, Face Painting and of course a visit from Santa. There is also a Christmas Market and Food Court.
- Tenacious Ship departs (Sun 3 Dec) – Come and farewell the tall ship Tenacious, as she finally departs Australia for the long voyage back to the U.K. Pier open and music from 10am, ship due to leave between 10.30am and 11.30am.
- Piccadilly Market Geelong (Sun 3 Dec) – local and Victorian Artisans wares. Including exquisite and original jewellery, clothing, home wares and more.
- Altona Homestead Devonshire Tea ( Sun 3 Dec) – historical homestead is open every 1st Sunday for Devonshire Tea.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 4 Dec) – free creative workshops for kids.
- Ground Up Scienceworks (Mon 4 Dec) – new children’s gallery opening at Scienceworks.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 6 Dec) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW.