The two overriding editorial principles of this blog are:
1. The blog is a personal hobby.
I invest up to 20 hours a week on top of my business, side projects and other blog. I do that because I loves writing, I’m interested in experiencing new things with my family and to inspire others to explore their city.
2. The blog is a reflection of my personal interests.
This means that there are a greater proportion of HOTs than NOTs because the majority of the time I select where we want to go, what I want to do and pay my own way.
So, here’s the editorial policy in detail.
- TOT: HOT OR NOT is a review blog, which means that I write reviews post the fact. I tend to publicise upcoming events via social media, the weekly What’s On or a giveaway.
- I aim to write fair, honest and independent reviews.
- The blog has a strong bias towards locations in the CBD and the inner city. That is because I live and work in the inner city, and I don’t have occasion to travel to the outer areas of Melbourne very much.
- When something is so-so, i still make a determination of whether it is HOT or NOT. I will always justify why I’ve fallen one way or the other.
- Most of the photographs are my own. If I have used other people’s photographs, I provide image credit and a link if relevant.
- I do not regularly publish guest posts but if you feel you have something relevant to say to the blog’s readers please get in touch.
Reuse of content
- Please do not use my content and photographs without my permission. Republication with permission requires appropriate credit and a link back and depending on the circumstances, may attract a licence fee.
- I am happy to receive unsolicited emails from PR and marketing agencies. However, I only have time to respond to emails which I find personally interesting. Others I will politely decline or delete.
- I am happy to receive tips from readers about something or somewhere they like. I can’t promise to visit every single one, but I do make a note of them.
- I occasionally get invited to events, such as restaurant dinners, theatre shows or product launches. When I have been invited as a guest, I always disclose that fact clearly in the post and I will always give my honest opinion and findings on the event.
- I occasionally receive free products. When I have received a free product, I may choose to pass it on as a giveaway or retain in lieu of payment for a sponsored post.
- If I am paid to write a review, I will note that clearly in the post.
My business interests
I own a small business called CycleStyle and I work with local councils and community groups to design and deliver bike-related projects and place-making construction play activities for children. I will occasionally use the blog as a publicity channel, in the same way I choose to publicise other products or events via the blog.