What’s On – Friday 9 February to Thursday 15 February
Phew another couple of scorching days this week! You’ll need to bookmark Where to go with kids in a heatwave and my Top 10 indoor places to go with kids.
This weekend we’ll be checking out Barefoot Cinema at Rippon Lea, the QV Outdoor Cinema and heading to the Museum Members Summer Party at Scienceworks. Have a great week!
CBD / Docklands
- Movies under the Stars Yarra Edge (Thu 8 Feb – Sat 10 Feb) – Free Movies Under the Stars. Pack a picnic and a rug, tuck into delicious fare from food vendors, or dine at one of the exceptional restaurants by the river, located at Yarra’s Edge or South Wharf prior to the movie.
- Zodiac Spectacular Crown (Thu 8 Feb – Mon 5 Mar) – Visit the dazzling zodiac exhibition at The Atrium at Crown Towers and be delighted by the vibrant display featuring the dog lantern.
- Fire Dragon Show (Fri 9 Feb – Sun 11 Feb) – Witness Crown’s famous flame towers come to life as they are transformed by street artists into magnificent hand-painted fire-breathing dragons.
- The District Food Truck Park (Fri 9 Feb) – pop up food truck park every Friday plus Blender Artist Market with art and craft stalls, live music and open studios.
- Park Cinema Docklands (Fri 9 Feb) – Over six Fridays in 2018 Park Cinema will be screening classic family films under the stars, in front of Library at The Dock.
- Lonsdale Street Greek Festival (Sat 10 Feb – Sun 11 Feb) – free entertainment across three stages, Greek street food, pop-up bars, cooking demonstrations, children’s activities and more.
- South Wharf Pop Up Cinema (Fri 9 Feb – Sun 4 Mar) – riverside cinematic experience on Common Man’s bright green Astroturf.
- Artplay workshops (Fri 9 Feb – Thu 15 Feb) – changing timetable of art workshops for kids.
- QV Outdoor Cinema (Fri 2 Feb – Thu 8 Feb) – live entertainment, free cocktails, special food, red carpets, instafamous dogs, charity screenings, a film festival and more.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 9 Feb – Tue 28 Feb) – free play space inspired by‘Our last trip to the market‘ by Lorin Clarke and Mitch Vane with a food-shopping theme! Full review.
- Sustainable Living Festival (Fri 9 Feb – Wed 28 Feb) – Earth-lovin’ activities including workshops, DIY-days, pop-ups and markets in both central and outer Melbourne.
- We Make Carpets NGV (Fri 9 Feb – 15 Apr) – Dutch art collective We Make Carpets (who do not actually make carpets!) has transformed the children’s gallery into walls of large-scale artworks incorporating patterns made with everyday objects. Full review.
- MSO Jams for Juniors (Sat 10 Feb) – Interactive 30min classical music concerts for under 5s by Melbourne Symphony Orchestra musicians. Full review.
- Sunset Series Treasury Gardens (Sun 11 Feb) – free twilight concerts in the Treasury Gardens.
- Under 4s NGV (Tue 13 Feb) – Children and families will learn about artworks and artists from around the world followed by a making activity. Full review.
- Queen Victoria Night Market (Wed 14 Feb) – Eat and drink your way around the world one dish at a time with more than 50 street food traders cooking up a global feast plus specialty shopping and entertainment. Full review.
- Chinese New Year’s Eve (Thu 15 Feb) – special cultural performances from China, outdoor movies, roving performers and lion dancers.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Silver Circus Dingley (Fri 9 Feb – 25 Feb) – Australia’s oldest circus comes to town.
- Big Burger Biannual Bunjil Place (Fri 9 Feb – Sun 11 Feb) – For three days only come right on down to our Plaza to meet Melbourne’s favourite burger vendors.
- Melbourne Tennis Week (Fri 9 Feb – Sun 11 Feb) – free events and activities taking place in various Port Phillip and Stonnington tennis clubs.
- Sandsculpting Frankston Waterfront (Fri 9 Feb – Apr) -Twenty sculptors carve out themed sculptures from the sand.
- Barefoot Cinema at Rippon Lea (Fri 9 Feb – Fri 16 Feb) – Enjoy food trucks, live music and a fully licensed bar before watching the sun go down and settling in for a feature film on the big screen.
- Waterfront Festival Frankston (Sat 10 Feb – Sun 11 Feb) – beach and water activities, Queen’s Baton Relay.
- Chadstone Lunar New Year (Sat 10 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) – roving rickshaws in the centre and traditional dancing dragons, retailer competitions and offers.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 10 Feb) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- The Classics Stonnington (Sat 10 Feb) – three-part series of free Saturday evening concerts throughout February.
- Queen’s Baton Relay St Kilda (Sat 10 Feb) – Join us in celebrating the Queen’s Baton Relay in St Kilda.
- Queen’s Baton Relay South Melbourne (Sat 10 Feb) – cheer on the community baton bearers as they run along Cecil Street.
- Como House Tours (Sat 10 Feb – Sun 11 Feb) – A Como house tour offers a glimpse into the privileged lifestyle of former owners, the Armytage family, who lived there for nearly a century.
- Summer Sundays by the Pool (Sun 11 Feb) – Join resident DJ Mike Gurrieri and special guests for a mixture of laidback soul, funk, jazz and world music grooves
- St Kilda Festival (Sun 11 Feb) – Australia’s largest free music festival with dedicated Kidzone.
- St Kilda Twilight Market (Thu 15 Feb) – artworks, vintage wear, craft, hand designed fashion and jewellery, exotic clothes, produce, emerging designers and foods of the world.
- South Melbourne Night Market (Thu 15 Feb) – street food, copious stalls, eclectic entertainment and music every Thursday night until 22 Feb. Full review.
- Werribee Pop Up Park (Fri 9 Feb – Sun 25 Feb) – free program of live music, movies and family entertainment.
- Melbourne Tennis Week (Fri 9 Feb – Sun 11 Feb) – free events and activities taking place in various Maribyrnong, Hobsons Bay and Moonee Valley tennis clubs.
- Nightjar Festival Geelong (Fri 9 Feb – Fri 23 Feb) – Central Geelong will be activated with musicians, street performers, food from around the world, emerging designers, a bar and a children’s area.
- Queens Baton Relay Williamstown and Altona (Sat 10 Feb) – Westside Circus, music, performances, sporting activities, art.
- Summer Sounds Altona (Sat 10 Feb) – free community concert.
- Summersault Melton (Sat 10 Feb) – music, food trucks, rides, fireworks.
- Art Sauce for Kids (Sat 10 Feb) – free art and creative workshops with Little Art Big Art. READ THE REVIEW.
- Queens Baton Relay Footscray (Sat 10 Feb) – Join in the fun from 4.30-6.30pm at the Little Saigon Precinct for a special Community Celebration!
- Little Red Train Werribee (Sat 10 Feb – Sun 11 Feb) – Explore Werribee Park via miniature train. Full review.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 10 Feb) – Essendon Traffic School is a mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights. Full review.
- Rhythm of Africa Werribee Open Range Zoo (Sat 10 Feb) – live music, African-inspired food, dancing, drumming and kids’ activities. READ THE REVIEW.
- Reuse It Baby Market (Sun 11 Feb) – 30+ stalls of preloved children’s clothing and toys, sausage sizzle, coffee cart, featured local businesses.
- Museum Members Summer Party at Scienceworks (Sat 10 Feb) – Dance your bot off at our Droid Disco, meet our roaming Robots and special performers, take part in our Sphero Rollbot activity and much more.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 14 Feb) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Thu 15 Feb) – learn circus skills with aerials, balances, circus circuits and games. READ THE REVIEW.
Posted: 8th February 2018
LEAVE A COMMENT