What’s On – Friday 16 February to Thursday 22 February 2018
This weekend is a busy one for us, with birthday parties galore, Chinese New Year, White Night Melbourne, Boxwars Kids and Yarraville Festival in the calendar. How about you?
CBD / Docklands
- Chinese New Year Queensbridge Square (Thu 15 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) – traditional Chinese dance and cultural activities, music and complimentary Chinese dumplings.
- Chinese New Year Southgate (Fri 16 Feb) – light installations, traditional lion dances and other cultural performances.
- Zodiac Spectacular Crown (Fri 16 Feb – Mon 5 Mar) – Visit the dazzling zodiac exhibition at The Atrium at Crown Towers and be delighted by the vibrant display featuring the dog lantern. Also see the Fire Breathing Dragons every night from 8pm until 27 Feb at Crown Riverwalk.
- Crown Hawkers Bazaar (Fri 16 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) – enjoy food and trinket stalls, cultural performances and more. Free event.
- The District Food Truck Park (Fri 16 Feb) – pop up food truck park every Friday plus Blender Artist Market with art and craft stalls, live music and open studios.
- Park Cinema Docklands (Fri 16 Feb) – Over six Fridays in 2018 Park Cinema will be screening classic family films under the stars, in front of Library at The Dock.
- South Wharf Pop Up Cinema (Fri 16 Feb – Sun 4 Mar) – riverside cinematic experience on Common Man’s bright green Astroturf.
- Artplay workshops (Fri 16 Feb – Thu 22 Feb) – changing timetable of art workshops for kids.
- QV Outdoor Cinema (Fri 16 Feb – Thu 22 Feb) – live entertainment, free cocktails, special food, red carpets, instafamous dogs, charity screenings, a film festival and more.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 16 Feb – Tue 28 Feb) – free play space inspired by‘Our last trip to the market‘ by Lorin Clarke and Mitch Vane with a food-shopping theme! Full review.
- Sustainable Living Festival (Fri 16 Feb – Wed 28 Feb) – Earth-lovin’ activities including workshops, DIY-days, pop-ups and markets in both central and outer Melbourne.
- We Make Carpets NGV (Fri 16 Feb – 15 Apr) – Dutch art collective We Make Carpets (who do not actually make carpets!) has transformed the children’s gallery into walls of large-scale artworks incorporating patterns made with everyday objects. Full review.
- Chinese New Year Queen Victoria Market (Sat 17 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) – live performances by Lion and dragon dance troupes.
- White Night Melbourne (Sat 17 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) – 12 hours of non-stop light installations and art in the CBD. Read my tips.
- Chinese New Year Chinatown (Sun 18 Feb) – Starting in the heart of Chinatown, Dai Loong, Melbourne’s Big Dragon, provides the cultural narrative as it weaves and connects the CBD and Fed Square (for the New Year countdown) with modern Chinese culture.
- Queen Victoria Night Market (Wed 21 Feb) – Eat and drink your way around the world one dish at a time with more than 50 street food traders cooking up a global feast plus specialty shopping and entertainment. Full review.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Family Film North Melbourne Pool (Fri 16 Feb) – Every Friday in February head to North Melbourne Pool for fun activities, a barbecue, inflatables, music and if the weather is right, a movie. Full review.
- Yum Cha at Preston Food Truck Park (Fri 16 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) -DIM SUM TIME! Get your ultimate foodie fix on all things Yum Cha.
- Zoo Twilights (Fri 16 Feb – 10 Mar) – concert series provides the perfect summer night of entertainment for all ages across Friday and Saturday evenings until 11 Mar.
- All for Kids Market Coburg (Sat 17 Feb) – baby and kids market for boutique and pre-loved items.
- Lunar New Year Preston Market (Sat 17 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) – From store blessings to crafting your very own Chinese lantern there’s something the whole family will enjoy.
- Whale’s Tale at Melbourne Zoo (Sat 17 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) – For one weekend only, Born in a Taxi are bringing the incredible show, Whale’s Tale to Melbourne Zoo. This interactive and highly entertaining show follows the story of Manilayo, the whale who is curiously beached in a park and discovered by a child.
- Coburg Farmers Market (Sat 17 Feb) – farmers market every Saturday near Harmony Park playground.
- Boxwars Kids (Sun 18 Feb) – Create your own cardboard armour at the infamous BOXWARS workshop.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 18 Feb) – miniature railway with playground next door. Full review
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Lunar New Year Chadstone (Thu 15 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) – Lucky Dim Sum Roving Rickshaw, Labyrinth of Luck, Lion Dancing and Drummers.
- Cinema Under the Stars (Fri 16 Feb) – Bring a blanket, some chairs or even a picnic, and head down to Harmony Square every Friday night from 2 February to 16 March.
- Silver Circus Dingley (Fri 16 Feb – 25 Feb) – Australia’s oldest circus comes to town.
- Sandsculpting Frankston Waterfront (Fri 16 Feb – Apr) -Twenty sculptors carve out themed sculptures from the sand.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 16 Feb) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Como House Tours (Sat 17 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) – A Como house tour offers a glimpse into the privileged lifestyle of former owners, the Armytage family, who lived there for nearly a century.
- Gasworks Farmers Market (Sat 17 Feb) – monthly farmers market. Stop off at kid-friendly cafe Priscilla Jones afterwards.
- Summer Sundays by the Pool (Sun 18 Feb) – Join resident DJ Mike Gurrieri and special guests for a mixture of laidback soul, funk, jazz and world music grooves.
- Clayton Street Festival (Sun 18 Feb) – food and market stalls, roving entertainment and displays by local traders and community groups.
- Beaumaris Festival (Sun 18 Feb) – Featuring food trucks and fun rides plus wonderful live acts including Richard Clapton playing his hits!
- Party in the Park at Princes Park (Sun 18 Feb) – A day of free entertainment for the whole family.
- South Melbourne Night Market (Thu 22 Feb) – street food, copious stalls, eclectic entertainment and music every Thursday night until 22 Feb. Full review.
- Ice Cream Festival Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Fri 16 Feb – Sun 25 Feb) – 144 special flavours of ice cream with tastings. Full review.
- Lunar New Year Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 16 Feb – Wed 28 Feb) – special Lunar New Year activities with gorgeous displays of lanterns and decorations.
- Heide Pop Up Cinema (Sat 17 Feb) – open air screening of the fantasy adventure family movie ‘Alice Through The Looking Glass’ (rated PG), in the beautiful gardens of Heide Museum of Modern Art.
- Lunar New Year Eastland (Sat 17 Feb) – lion dances and firecrackers, dumpling tastings and traditional arts including dance performances, lantern making and Chinese calligraphy.
- Box Hill Street Festival (Sat 17 Feb) – Cultural performances, game, amusement rides and food.
- Chinese New Year Box Hill Central (Sat 17 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) – Chinese cuisine, a parade, music, games, rides, firecrackers and dragon dancers.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 18 Feb) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- Box Hill Miniature Railway (Sun 18 Feb) – Every 3rd Sunday the ride this wonderful Miniature Railway, the track winds through the picturesque surrounds of Elgar Park. READ THE REVIEW.
- Werribee Pop Up Park (Fri 16 Feb – Sun 25 Feb) – free program of live music, movies and family entertainment.
- Ice Cream Festival Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie (Fri 16 Feb – Sun 25 Feb) – 144 special flavours of ice cream with tastings. Full review.
- Nightjar Festival Geelong (Fri 16 Feb – Fri 23 Feb) – Central Geelong will be activated with musicians, street performers, food from around the world, emerging designers, a bar and a children’s area.
- Lunar New Year Werribee Zoo (Fri 16 Feb – Wed 28 Feb) – special Lunar New Year activities with gorgeous displays of lanterns and decorations.
- Little Red Train Werribee (Sat 17 Feb – Sun 18 Feb) – Explore Werribee Park via miniature train. Full review.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 17 Feb) – Essendon Traffic School is a mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights. Full review.
- Summer Sounds Altona (Sat 17 Feb) – live music and BMX, Skate and Scooter competitions.
- Geelong Cats Family Festival (Sat 17 Feb) – activities for the kids to enjoy, plus the Cats will be holding an open training session!
- Rhythm of Africa Werribee Open Range Zoo (Sat 17 Feb) – live music, African-inspired food, dancing, drumming and kids’ activities. READ THE REVIEW.
- Bulla Hill Railway (Sun 18 Feb) – Every 1st and 3rd Sunday the ride this the dinosaur trail on the miniature railway. FULL REVIEW
- Yarraville Festival (Sun 18 Feb) – rides, stalls, kids kingdom, walking tours, music.
- Kensington Market (Sun 18 Feb) – eclectic mix of fresh produce, designer fashion, jewellery and visual art creations, vintage, retro and antiques.
- Altona Miniature Railway (Sun 18 Feb) – Every third Sunday of the month the Altona Miniature Railway is opened to members of the public and members take kids and adults on rides on the mini steam and diesel engines. READ THE REVIEW.
- Hippo Splash Party Werribee Zoo (Tue 20 Feb) – Zoo members enjoy lots of bubbles, dancing and fun!
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 21 Feb) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Thu 22 Feb) – learn circus skills with aerials, balances, circus circuits and games. READ THE REVIEW.
- Toddler Thursdays Werribee Zoo (Thu 22 Feb) – special program for 1-5 yo and their carers.
Posted: 15th February 2018
LEAVE A COMMENT