South Melbourne Night Market is back bigger and better this summer with delectable food, kids activities and live entertainment every Thursday night on Cecil and Coventry Streets and within South Melbourne Market.
Until Thursday 22 February, the usually daytime market swings open for selected evening trade on Thursday nights from 5:30-9:30pm.
Most street-facing stallholders and restaurants open for business interspersed with pop up food trucks and food carts. The market food hall (where Proper & Sons is located) is also open, the market’s designer pop up SO:ME space and some market stall holders. The centre aisles host small stallholders with specialist fashion, craft and design.
Two stages showcase local live bands and solo artists.
…tasty jerk chicken with rice and beans at The Real Jerk…
….a large cone of salt and pepper calamari from Ink-redible Calamari (how do they get it so tender?)…
…then trying out some Cali / Hawaiian / Japanese flavours at Poke Time.
For dessert, I double down with a matcha and single origin chocolate soft serve from Atypic Chocolate…
….and a traditional tiramisu from Tiramisu Lift Me Up in a Cup.
For kids there’s a dedicated area with kids arts and craft. It gets busy so head there first with the promise of dinner later! Note also if you’re moving around in the pram try to avoid Centre Aisle as it gets very busy and crowded and people try to shortcut their way from one end of the market to the other.
South Melbourne Night Market is a great place to meet friends, hang out with family, shop, eat, drink and be merry. The event is family-friendly and early in the night I see lots of families enjoying the ambience.
- free parking at the market rooftop from 5:30pm, otherwise free street parking in surrounding areas;
- The Market’s Centre Aisle and many of the permanent stalls will also be open;
- PT access via 96 tram or 12 tram;
- entry to the South Melbourne Night Market is free;
- There’s not a lot of room to sit down so if you need to sit down to eat then best head to one of the restaurants on Cecil Street or the market food hall. Make a booking as they are popular!;
- Note that the city bound lane of Cecil Street is closed to provide space for people and food vendors, including loads more seating.
South Melbourne Night Market, Cecil and Coventry Streets, South Melbourne
Thursday evenings 4 January – 22 February 2018