Merry Christmas! However you’re choosing to celebrate the festive season I hope that you have a restful, safe and enjoyable time with your family and friends.
This is the last What’s On for 2017 and I’ll be taking a blog break over most of January. So I’ll see you at the other side with the first What’s On in February 2018!
- NGV Triennial (Fri 22 Dec – Sun 15 Apr) – Sniff the work of ‘smell designer’ who recreates the scents of Melbourne, marvel at a massive reclining Buddha and obliterate a room with flowers in this mammoth group exhibition.
- MPavilion (Fri 22 Dec – Sun 4 Feb 2018 ) – An event hub, a meeting place and an invitation to experiment, each MPavilion brings creative collaborators together to present a free, four-month program of talks, workshops, performances and installations from October to February.
- Christmas Projection Show (Fri 22 Dec – Mon 25 Dec) – This Christmas will see City of Melbourne’s annual Christmas Projection Show at Melbourne Town Hall extend to Fed Square, decorating the Swanston Street facades with festive cheer.
- Christmas Federation Square (Fri 22 Dec – Mon 25 Dec) – magical Christmas wonderland offering festive fun for the whole family.
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 22 Dec – Sun 14 Jan) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- Brickman Experience (Fri 22 Sep – Sun 28 Jan) – collection of individual works by Ryan McNaught – the only LEGO® Certified Professional in the Southern Hemisphere and interactive master builder zones. Full review.
- Wallace & Gromit and Friends: The Magic of Aardman (Fri 22 Dec – Sun 29 Jan) – take an extraordinary trip from sketches and models through to elaborate sets as these beloved characters take shape on screen. Full review.
- The Pool: Architecture, Culture and Identity ( Fri 22 Dec – Thu 1 Feb 2018) – A multi-sensory installation of water, light, scent and sound, The Pool is an interactive space, complete with wooden decking and pool lounge chairs.
- Pop Up Globe (Fri 22 Sep – 3 Feb 2018) – Pop-up Globe, the world’s first full-scale temporary working replica of one of the greatest theatres in history, the second Globe, is popping up right next door to the iconic Sidney Myer Music Bowl.
- Myer Giftorium and Santaland (Fri 22 Dec- Sat 24 Dec) – Your one-stop Christmas shop plus meet Santa and ride on his train.
- Gingerbread Village by Epicure (Fri 22 Dec – Sun 24 Dec) – Admire iconic Melbourne landmarks and locations all made out of gingerbread. Entry is by nominal gold coin donation and all proceeds go to the Royal Children’s Hospital. FULL REVIEW.
- Crown Christmas Spectacular (Fri 22 Dec – Mon 1 Jan) – Christmas entertainment and ArtVo pop up. Full review.
- Christmas at Old Treasury (Fri 22 Dec – Fri 5 Jan) – The Old Treasury Building is once again showcasing homemade decorations of the 1920s!
- Myer Christmas Windows (Fri 22 Dec – Sun 7 Jan) – The 62nd annual Myer Melbourne Christmas Windows are based on the original story of Elf and ‘The completely and utterly, absolutely perfect Christmas’ written and illustrated by H C Floren. Full review.
- Santa’s Tree House (Fri 22 Dec – Sun 24 Dec) – Santa Claus is settling into his tree house at The District Docklands and will be available for photos daily. Plus, each child that visits Santa Claus will receive a free colouring-in book with pencils to take home.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 22 Dec – 13 Mar) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. This season’s theme is ‘Our Last Trip to the Market’. Full review
- The District food truck park (Fri 22 Dec) – food truck park every Friday through summer. Full review.
- The District (Fri 22 Dec – Sun 28 Jan) – FREE children’s activities including an animal farm petting zoo, treasure hunts, DJ’s, immersive workshops and live shows by all the favourites including the famous Peppa Pig.
- Immigration Museum (Mon 26 Dec – Mon 29 Jan) – children’s games and teenage fandom from the British ‘youthquake’ era and beyond.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Barkly Square Open Air Cinema (Sat 23 Dec) – Nestled into Barkly Square’s quaint laneway precinct, the silent cinema will see an eclectic mix of family-friendly, arthouse and modern favourites.
- Coburg Farmers Market (Sat 23 Dec) – farmers market every Saturday near Harmony Park playground.
- High Tea Overnewton Castle (Sat 23 Dec) – and historical tour at 11am.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 24 Dec and Mon 26 Dec) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds. Full review.
- Melbourne Museum (Mon 26 Dec – Mon 29 Jan) – Located in the entrance to Bunjilaka for half of the holidays, we’ll have story-telling and Bunjil’s Gliders. In the fourth week of the holidays, we’ll have a special artist residency with David Booth from Ghost Patrol.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Legoland Christmas Bricktacular (Fri 22 Dec – Sun 24 Dec) – Christmas-themed build activities, Post your Christmas wishes into Santa’s LEGO® postbox, Special theming and Christmas photo-ops.
- Santa’s Magical Kingdom (Fri 22 Dec – Sat 23 Dec) – magical Christmas walk-through wonderland, Snow Castle and Activity Land, Christmas craft area, Ferris Wheel, Santa’s Sleigh Ride and Australia’s largest super slide.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 23 Dec) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground nearby.
- Santa’s Sand Land Frankston (Sat 23 Dec – Sun 24 Dec) – special 8 day event held inside Sand Sculpting Australia.
- Splashland (Thu 28 Dec – Thu 24 Jan) – inflatable waterpark features eight rides for adults, teens, big and little kids. Full review.
- Kangaroo Country Healesville Sanctuary (from Fri 22 Dec) – the roos have a new home, as part of Iconic Australia precinct. Full review.
- Cherry Picking Cherryhill Orchards (Fri 22 Dec – Jan 2017) – Pick your own cherries and enjoy cherry treats. Full review.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 23 Dec) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill.
- West Monopoly (Fri 22 Dec – Sun 24 Dec) – play giant game of Monopoly set in Melbourne’s west, win prizes and raise money for charity.
- LightTime Scienceworks (Fri 22 Dec onwards) – a collective of 11 Melbourne based artists who have created hypnotic and mesmerising works. Full review.
- Little Red Train Werribee (Sat 23 Dec – Sun 24 Dec) – take a trackless train ride through picturesque Werribee Park. Full review.
- Scienceworks (Mon 26 Dec – Mon 29 Jan) – Superhero Science activities and a special Amphitheatre show Boom! Bap! How?