Inside Out is Melbourne Museum’s newest temporary exhibition and it is unlike anything that they’ve done before!
Museums Victoria is opening up their vast collection to highlight some of the less well-known objects from their collection of more than 17 million items.
Instead of just displaying them in glass cases with explanatory plaques,Inside Out brings 370 items to life with light, sound and storytelling. Almost half of the items have never before been on public display.
At the entrance each visitor is given an ipod and headphones and then instructed to follow the ‘disembodied voice’ around the exhibition space. It’s an audioguide with a difference as there are interviews with notable people, curators and even disco music.
The items are displayed in theatrical sets, juxtaposed against unusual items, and the displays invite further peeking, seeking and investigation.
Inside Out is a playful and immersive dip into the Museum Victoria collections and is suitable for children 6+ years who are able to listen attentively and follow instructions for approx 35 minutes.
It runs for a limited time only so don’t miss this most unusual of exhibitions.
- tickets are timed for every 30 minutes and can be pre-booked or purchased at Melbourne Museum ticket counters;
- flexible tickets valid for any time are $24
- Inside Out runs late every Thursday and Friday night throughout January and February (excluding 26 Jan).
- On Friday 5 Jan and 2 Feb, Nocturnal and Inside Out come together to provide you with the ultimate party. Tickets for these nights must be booked via the Nocturnal webpage;
- Auslan tours of Inside Out each Tuesday at 11am and Saturday at 2pm;
Inside Out, Melbourne Museum, 11 Nicholson St, Carlton
Sat 23 December – Sun 11 February 2018
Timed tickets for Adults, Concession & Children $10
Flexible ticket $10