Visiting the Gingerbread Village is now an annual Christmas ritual for our family and one of our Christmas Activity Advent Calendar events.
The popular display is open at Melbourne Town Hall from Friday 1 December to Sunday 24 December with extended opening hours of 9-8:15pm.
Australia’s #1 Chocolatier, Deniz Karaca, and his team have put together more than 550kgs of gingerbread, 400kgs of royal icing, 165kg of marzipan, 880 mini Christmas trees and over 900 fun and mischievous characters (including some Disney princesses and superheroes and villains) to display our city’s famous landmarks.
This year features St Kilda beach…
Melbourne Cricket Ground…
New structures include Flinders Street station…
Young and Jacksons…
..and Federation Square (Baby 2.0’s favourite).
Try to visit at a quiet time (ie not a weekend or middle of the day) so you can really appreciate the detailed and intricate work.
I ADORE the tiny books at this bookseller’s stand.
Entry to the Gingerbread Village by EPICURE is by a gold coin donation and money raised goes to the Royal Children’s Hospital Foundation to help children facing serious illnesses.
After your visit there is gingerbread and other treats available for purchase – always a must!
- queues can be long for peak periods so try to avoid weekends and the middle of the day;
- entry is free but gold coin donation appreciated for Royal Children’s Hospital Foundation;
- prams not allowed within space as it’s quite small, pram parking at doorway available;
- lighting is dim so photos may be difficult;
- Check out more free Christmas events and activities in Melbourne’s CBD and the TOT Christmas Activity Advent Calendar.
Gingerbread Village by EPICURE, Melbourne Town Hall, corner Little Collins & Swanston Streets, Melbourne
Friday 1 December to Sunday 24 December 9am – 8:15pm daily
Free, entry by gold coin donation.