If horse-racing isn’t really your thing, here are 40 ways to enjoy the Melbourne Cup long weekend with your family! On Monday I’ll be making Spring Racing Carnival inspired headbands with Book Swap Bike at Highpoint – see you there!
If you’re thinking of buying a children’s bike for Christmas then mark your diaries for Saturday 18 November. I’ll be running ByK Bikes test rides and helmet fittings from 10:30-12:30pm in Footscray. Buy on the day and get 10% off and guaranteed Christmas delivery!
- Southbank Book Sale (Sat 4 Nov – Sun 5 Nov) – Grab yourself a bargain and pick up some pre-loved library books.
- Queen Street Plaza (Sat 4 Nov – Sun 5 Nov) – A place to sit, eat, have a drink and enjoy free family entertainment right in the heart of the city.
- ACMI’s Family Sundays (Sun 5 Nov) – day for families to come together and interact with screen culture in all its forms with different theme each month. Full review.
- Polly Woodside Pirate Day (Sun 5 Nov) -Dress as a pirate and come help us search for hidden treasure, join in on the pirate games and even scrub the decks!
- Under 8s Ice Fun (Sun 5 Nov) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 3 Nov – 5 Dec) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. This season’s theme is The Very Noisy Bear.
- Wallace & Gromit and Friends: The Magic of Aardman (Fri 3 Nov – Sun 29 Jan) – take an extraordinary trip from sketches and models through to elaborate sets as these beloved characters take shape on screen. Full review.
- MPavilion (Fri 3 Nov – Sun 4 Feb 2018) – An event hub, a meeting place and an invitation to experiment, each MPavilion brings creative collaborators together to present a free, four-month program of talks, workshops, performances and installations from October to February.
- The Pool: Architecture, Culture and Identity ( Fri 3 Nov – Thu 1 Feb 2018) – A multi-sensory installation of water, light, scent and sound, The Pool is an interactive space, complete with wooden decking and pool lounge chairs.
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 3 Nov – Sun 22 Oct) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- Night Noodle Markets (Thu 9 Nov – Sun 26 Nov ) – all the sights, sounds and smells of an Asian hawker market plus the buzz, hype and vibe of a huge outdoor festival
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Coburg Night Market (Fri 3 Nov – Fri 15 Dec) – artisanal offerings, street food slingers and feel-good tunes for 4 weeks.
- Sweet Tooth Preston Food Truck Park (Fri 3 Nov – Sun 5 Nov) –All things sugary and delightful with Melbourne’s sweetest trucks. Think lollies, baking workshops, cookies and activities for the kids.
- Kids Craft Preston Market (Sat 4 Nov) – free drop in activities every Saturday.
- Vegan Mini Market (Sat 4 Nov) – local and 100% vegan owned and operated business and is the first entirely vegan monthly market in Melbourne.
- Carlton Farmers Market (Sat 4 Nov) – fresh produce at Carlton North Primary School (CNPS) aka Lee Street Primary School.
- Bundoora Park Farmers Market (Sat 4 Nov) – fresh produce at Bundoora Park with awesome playground and Bundoora Park Farm.
- Coburg Farmers Market (Sat 4 Nov) – farmers market every Saturday near Harmony Park playground.
- Live Santa Northland (Sat 4 Nov – Sun 5 Nov) – visitors can chat with Santa, live from the North Pole – Santa will be ready and waiting to answer any questions your little ones might have.
- Tread Sculptures Open Day (Sat 4 No v- Sun 5 Nov) – upcycled sculpture trail showcasing metal art.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 5 Nov) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds. Full review.
- Collingwood Children’s Farm Family Day (Sun 5 Nov) – free pony rides, tractor rides and guinea pig cuddles and BBQ lunch.
- Brunswick Flea Market (Sun 5 Nov) – New and vintage furniture, household items and clothing.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Bayside Food Truck Fiesta (Fri 3 Nov – Tue 7 Nov) – full bar, live music and a rotating roster of over 20 of Melbourne’s finest food trucks.
- Babes to Kids Market Caribbean Gardens (Fri 3 Nov) – new and preloved baby gear, free train rides and face painting.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 4 Nov) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Mornington Railway (Sun 5 Nov) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 8 No) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 5 Nov) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- Party Time Eastland (Mon 6 Nov – Wed 8 Nov) – Join in the fun with Poppies for Grace’s PARTY TIME. A morning of party craft and games. Free for 3 to 5 years.
- Moonlit Markets Eastland (Thu 9 Nov) – up to 60 stalls from local designers, artisans and artists. Find an assortment of fashion, jewellery, art, homewares and delights for the kids.
- West Side Best Side opening (Fri 3 Nov) – new food truck park in Kingsville opening.
- Williamstown Twilight Market (Fri 3 Nov) – antiques, retro vintage, books, jewellery, photography, and reclaimed wood furniture, handmade crafted and fashioned goods locally made beauty products, kid’s clothes toys and doggy items every 1st Friday of the month.
- Deep West Block Party (Sat 4 Nov) – live music, spoken word, dance and performance.
- Cinderella Clocktower Centre (Sat 4 Nov) – Join the talented dancers of Melbourne City Ballet as they delight audiences with the classic story of Cinderella in a stunning and graceful ballet performance.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 4 Nov) – Essendon Traffic School is a mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights. Full review.
- Little Red Train Werribee (Sat 4 Nov – Sun 5 Nov) – take a trackless train ride through picturesque Werribee Park. Full review.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 4 Nov & Thu 9 Nov) – circus class for 18 month -5 year olds. Full review.
- Altona Homestead Devonshire Tea (Sun 5 Nov) – historical homestead is open every 1st Sunday for Devonshire Tea.
- Mad Hatters High Tea Overnewton Castle (Sun 5 Nov) – Alice in Wonderland themed high tea.
- Strawberry Forest (Sun 5 Nov) – vertical strawberry picking every Sunday.
- Bulla Hill Railway (Sun 5 Nov) – Every 1st and 3rd Sunday the ride this the dinosaur trail on the miniature railway. FULL REVIEW
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 6 Nov) – free creative workshops for kids including Book Swap Bike with me.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 8 Nov) – toddler art classes for drop-in. Full review.
- LightTime Scienceworks (Fri 3 Nov onwards) – a collective of 11 Melbourne based artists who have created hypnotic and mesmerising works. Full review.