Only 5 weeks until Christmas and the whole city’s getting festive!
This Saturday I’ll be doing Byk Bikes kids bike test rides and helmet fittings and peddling my wares (ha) at Footscray Finds on Sunday. Have a great week!
- Santa’s Post Box (Fri 17 Dec – Fri 15 Dec) – write a letter to Santa and receive a personalised response. Post outside the Australia Post GPO and The District, Docklands
- Christmas at Old Treasury (Fri 17 Nov – Fri 5 Jan) – The Old Treasury Building is once again showcasing homemade decorations of the 1920s!
- Myer Christmas Windows (Fri 17 Nov – Sun 7 Jan) – The 62nd annual Myer Melbourne Christmas Windows are based on the original story of Elf and ‘The completely and utterly, absolutely perfect Christmas’ written and illustrated by H C Floren. Full review.
- The District launch weekend (Fri 17 Nov – Sun 19 Nov) – Harbour Town is now The District. On the launch weekend enjoy extended trading hours, exclusive offers, a food truck park and all the treats and giveaways you can handle!
- The Gruffalo Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 17 Nov – Sun 19 Nov) – Join Mouse and head on a daring adventure filled with songs, laughter and scary fun when this magical musical adaptation.
- Night Noodle Markets (Fri 17 Nov – Sun 26 Nov ) – all the sights, sounds and smells of an Asian hawker market plus the buzz, hype and vibe of a huge outdoor festival.
- MPavilion (Fri 17 Nov – Sun 4 Feb 2018 ) – An event hub, a meeting place and an invitation to experiment, each MPavilion brings creative collaborators together to present a free, four-month program of talks, workshops, performances and installations from October to February.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 17 Nov – Tue 5 Dec) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. This season’s theme is The Very Noisy Bear. Full review.
- Santa’s Grand Arrival (Sat 18 Nov) – PJ Masks, Peppa Pig and everyone’s favourite Christmas characters are coming to Santa’s Grand Arrival!
- Mind Body Spirit Festival (Sat 18 Nov – Sun 19 Nov) -hich is the largest health, wellbeing and natural therapies event in Australia.
- Queen Street Plaza (Sat 18 Nov – Sun 19 Nov) – A place to sit, eat, have a drink and enjoy free family entertainment right in the heart of the city.
- Big Fish Little Fish Family Rave (Sun 19 Sep) – family-friendly raves. Full review.
- Under 8s Ice Fun (Sun 19 Nov) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Wallace & Gromit and Friends: The Magic of Aardman (Fri 17 Nov – Sun 29 Jan) – take an extraordinary trip from sketches and models through to elaborate sets as these beloved characters take shape on screen. Full review.
- The Pool: Architecture, Culture and Identity ( Fri 17 Nov – Thu 1 Feb 2018) – A multi-sensory installation of water, light, scent and sound, The Pool is an interactive space, complete with wooden decking and pool lounge chairs.
- Queen Victoria Night Market (Wed 22 Nov) – Eat and drink your way around the world one dish at a time with more than 50 street food traders cooking up a global feast plus specialty shopping and entertainment.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Cheese Wine and Food Preston Truck Park (Fri 17 Nov – Sun 19 Nov) – Local wine makers, cheese platters, cheesy food truck dishes, charcuterie boards and more! With wine tastings and masterclasses daily.
- Kids Craft Preston Market (Sat 18 Nov) – free drop in activities every Saturday.
- All for Kids Market Coburg (Sat 18 Nov) – baby and kids market for boutique and pre-loved items.
- Coburg Farmers Market (Sat 18 Nov) – farmers market every Saturday near Harmony Park playground.
- Phillipines Street Festival (Sat 18 Nov – Sun 19 Nov) – Cultural Performances and Music, Street food, general stalls and kids activities
- Johnston Street Fiesta (Sat 18 Nov – Sun 19 Nov) – celebrate Hispanic Latin American Culture with food and entertainment.
- Sunday Streets Carlton (Sun 19 Nov) – street party for families in Carlton.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 19 Nov) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds. Full review.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 18 Nov) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Compassionate Living Vegan Twilight Market (Sat 18 Nov) – indoor market, with a thoughtfully curated variety of vegan start ups, micro businesses including food vendors & animal support groups, showcasing products & services which are cruelty free, ethical, environmentally friendly, encouraging sustainable living practices.
- Santa’s Magical Kingdom (Fri 16 Nov – Sat 23 Dec) – magical Christmas walk-through wonderland, Snow Castle and Activity Land, Christmas craft area, Ferris Wheel, Santa’s Sleigh Ride and Australia’s largest super slide.
- Unicorn Party Dandenong Market (Sun 19 Nov) – 14 of the market’s vendors produce their own unicorn inspired creations for one day only this November.
- Mornington Railway (Sun 19 Nov) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- East Malvern Food & Wine Festival (Sun 19 Nov) – the festival stalls will house countless dishes made with fresh local produce.
- Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 22 Nov) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- A Big Christmas Day (Sun 19 Nov) – A Christmas themed festival family with friendly activities including carnival games, sand art, airbrush tattoos, face painting and balloon twisting, carnival rides, food trucks and much more!
- Box Hill Miniature Railway (Sun 19 Nov) – Every 3rd Sunday the ride this wonderful Miniature Railway, the track winds through the picturesque surrounds of Elgar Park. READ THE REVIEW.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 19 Nov) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- Moonlit Markets Eastland (Thu 23 Nov) – up to 60 stalls from local designers, artisans and artists. Find an assortment of fashion, jewellery, art, homewares and delights for the kids.
- Strawberries & Cherries Weekend (Fri 17 Nov – Sun 19 Nov) – rides, cinema, entertainment, fruit picking.
- Seddon Makers Market (Sat 18 Nov) – community based arts and craft market.
- Djerriwarrh Festival Melton (Sat 18 Nov) Melton’s largest community festival is a party for the people with music, art, activities, food, amusements.
- Santa’s Arrival Altona Gate (Sat 18 Nov) – free giveaways, entertainment and fun as Altona Gate welcomes Santa.
- Sweet Expo Melbourne Showgrounds (Sat 18 Nov – Sun 19 Nov) – everything cake decorating, baking and celebrating.
- Leapfrog Park opening (Sat 18 Nov) – Australia’s biggest frog and play on slides, tadpole rockers, climbing ropes and more. Plus, enjoy free food trucks, bungee trampolines, jumping castles, and face painting.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 18 Nov) – Essendon Traffic School is a mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights. Full review.
- Little Red Train Werribee (Sat 18 Nov – Sun 19 Nov) – take a trackless train ride through picturesque Werribee Park. Full review.
- Footscray Finds (Sun 19 Nov) – unique, boutique and handmade monthly at Footscray Library’s Carpark, Paisley Street, Footscray. Full review.
- Edgewater Festival (Sun 19 Nov) – fusion of food, art, music, history, environment, culture, the old and the new, the young and the old.
- Kensington Market (Sun 19 Nov) – monthly market showcase of talented local artisans and crafters.
- Altona Miniature Railway public day (Sun 19 Nov) – Every third Sunday of the month the Altona Miniature Railway is opened to members of the public and members take kids and adults on rides on the mini steam and diesel engines. READ THE REVIEW.
- Strawberry Forest (Sun 19 Nov) – vertical strawberry picking every Sunday. Full review.
- Bulla Hill Railway (Sun 19 Nov) – Every 1st and 3rd Sunday the ride this the dinosaur trail on the miniature railway. FULL REVIEW.
- Laverton Festival (Sun 19 Nov) – Free entertainment, market stalls, $10 ride all day package which includes showbag and $4 discount for food stall.
- Sunbury StreetLife Festival (Sun 19 Nov) – local businesses, live entertainment by local artists, hands-on workshops, roving acts and children’s activities.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 20 Nov) – free creative workshops for kids including Book Swap Bike with me.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 22 Nov) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW.
- LightTime Scienceworks (Fri 17 Nov onwards) – a collective of 11 Melbourne based artists who have created hypnotic and mesmerising works. Full review.