Don’t forget it’s Australian Reading Hour on Thursday 14 September – check your local library for events. Have a great week!
- ‘I see you like this’ Artplay (Fri 8 Sep – Sun 10 Sep) – Exhibition – “I see you like this” A strange and beautiful exhibition of professional photo portraits art directed by children.
- Celebrate Studio Ghibli (Fri 8 Sep – Sun 24 Sep) – A celebration of one of the world’s most beloved animation studios.
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 8 Sep – Sun 22 Oct) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- Lego Friends Play Zone Harbour Town (Sat 9 Sep – Sun 10 Sep) – Speed Build Challenge, Team Build, Imagination Free Play, Digital Interaction, LEGO Friends Boards, LEGO Character Meet & Greet, Face Painting and more.
- Viva Brazil Festival (Sat 9 Sep – Sun 10 Sep) – Celebrate all things Brazilian, including food and entertainment, coinciding with Brazil’s Independence Day over two days at Queen Victoria Market.
- Queen Street Plaza (Sat 9 Sep – Sun 10 Sep) – A place to sit, eat, have a drink and enjoy free family entertainment right in the heart of the city.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 13 Sep) – best of winter food, design and theatrics to the market every Wednesday during winter. FULL REVIEW.
- Fiona Hall: Uneasy Seasons NGV (Fri 8 Sep – Sun 10 Sep) – interactive and immersive exhibition for children at NGV International. Full review.
- Wallace & Gromit and Friends: The Magic of Aardman (Fri 8 Sep – Sun 29 Oct) – take an extraordinary trip from sketches and models through to elaborate sets as these beloved characters take shape on screen.
- The Pool: Architecture, Culture and Identity ( Fri 8 Sep – Thu 1 Feb 2018) – A multi-sensory installation of water, light, scent and sound, The Pool is an interactive space, complete with wooden decking and pool lounge chairs
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (Tue 12 Sep – Sat 30 Sep) – Follow Alice down the rabbit hole into a world of colour, fun and fantasy in this dazzling, internationally acclaimed production.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- The Big Chicken Festival Food Truck Park (Fri 8 Sep – Sun 10 Sep) – vibrant, edgy and attractive venue offering Melbourne’s favourite food trucks on rotation, events and entertainment. FULL REVIEW.
- One Fine Baby (Sat 9 Sep – Sun 10 Sep) – A FREE fun day out for the whole family. With something for everyone at any stage of their parenthood journey.
- Farmers Market Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sat 9 Sep) – buy fresh produce and stay all day for $2 adult kids free. READ THE REVIEW.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 10 Sep) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds. Full review.
- Flour Market Spring Fling (Sun 10 Sep) – greatest bake sale in Melbourne!
- Family Day Yarra Hotel (Sun 10 Sep) – live music and entertainment for the whole family by Collingwood Toy Library.
- Monsalvat Arts Festival (Sun 10 Sep) – live music, visual arts and workshops the artists colony. Full review.
- Heide Makers Market (Sat 9 Sep) – eclectic mix of art, design and handcrafted goods.
- Bug Lab Melbourne Museum (Fri 1 Sep – Oct) – exploring the world of bugs. Full review.
- National Geographic Photo Ark (Fri 8 Sep – 1 Oct) – exclusive photo exhibition is using the power of photography to inspire people to save animals before it’s too late.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Fairy and Dinosaur Garden workshop (Sat 9 Sep) – make your very own Fairy or Dinosaur garden!
- Linden New Art Crafternoon (Sat 9 Sep) – Create fun bush toys with fibre-design artist, Adrienne Kneebone.
- Death to Nuggets (Sat 9 Sep) – monthly dinner for kids and families to share together and campaign against processed food.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 9 Sep) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Legoland Discovery Centre Accessibility Weekend (Sat 9 Sep – Sun 10 Sep) – open to wheelchair & mobility aid users and a carer.
- Legoland Kids v Parents Imagination Build-off Challenge (Sat 9 Sep – Sun 10 Sep) – During the five-minute challenge, kids and grown-ups will build a creation straight from their imagination.
- The Mayor’s Family Picnic (Sun 10 Sep) – head on down to Dame Elisabeth Murdoch’s picturesque Cruden Farm for a huge day of activities and entertainment featuring lawn games, live performances and more.
- Mornington Railway (Sun 10 Sep) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 13 Sep) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Heide Makers Market (Sat 9 Sep) – find an eclectic mix of art, design and handcrafted goods all made with skill by a curated selection of stallholders.
- Melbourne Tram Museum (Sat 9 Sep) – Visit a Melbourne icon at this quirky museum. FULL REVIEW.
- Belgrave Big Dreams Market (Sun 10 Sep) – discover original and bespoke design pieces, some of the yummiest and freshest produce the area has to offer, live music, bouncy castle and face painting for the kids.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 10 Sep) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- Party Time Eastland (Mon 11 Sep – Wed 13 Sep) – Join in the fun with Poppies for Grace’s PARTY TIME. A morning of party craft and games. Free for 3 to 5 years.
- Tesselaar Tulip Festival (Thu 14 Sep – Tue 10 Oct) – tulip fields, live entertainment, market stalls and tempting foods.
- GLOW (Fri 8 Sep – Sun 10 Sep) – Hundreds of little handmade creatures and a great big, glowing light, artist workshops and make your own creatures, the Ugly Bug Ball with music from New Orleans brass band and dance in the Glow.
- Ethiopian New Year Festival (Sat 9 Sept) – Nicholson Street Mall in Footscray will radiate with the sights, sounds and smells of Ethiopian culture.
- Pirates Family Fun Day (Sat 9 Sep) – pirate themed craft activities and games for the kids, balloon swords, face painting and dress ups.
- Little Red Train Werribee (Sat 9 Sep – Sun 10 Sep) – take a trackless train ride through picturesque Werribee Park. FULL REVIEW.
- LightTime Scienceworks (Fri 8 Sep onwards) – a collective of 11 Melbourne based artists who have created hypnotic and mesmerising works. Full review.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 9 Sep) – mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights.
- Sunshine Leisure Centre 10th birthday (Sun 10 Sep) – pool inflatable, kids disco, and outdoor kids obstacle course.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 11 Sep) – free creative workshops for kids with Book Swap Bike.