One more week before school holidays -and still lots of fun things happening in Melbourne! I’ll be at Footscray Finds with my store CycleStyle while T learns some hair-styling skills with Lady AB at Beers & Braids!
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 15 Sep – Sun 22 Oct) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Full review.
- Oktoberfest Munich Brauhaus (Sat 16 Sep – Sun 29 Oct) – inaugural Oktoberfest street parade, a Dogs of Oktoberfest costume competition, kids entertainer, face painter and games area and petting zoo.
- Lego Friends Play Zone Harbour Town (Sat 16 Sep – Sun 17 Sep) – Speed Build Challenge, Team Build, Imagination Free Play, Digital Interaction, LEGO Friends Boards, LEGO Character Meet & Greet, Face Painting and more.
- Queen Street Plaza (Sat 16 Sep – Sun 17 Sep) – A place to sit, eat, have a drink and enjoy free family entertainment right in the heart of the city.
- Big Fish Little Fish Family Rave (Sun 17 Sep) – family-friendly raves. Full review.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 20 Sep) – best of winter food, design and theatrics to the market every Wednesday during winter. FULL REVIEW.
- Fiona Hall: Uneasy Seasons NGV (Fri 15 Sep – Sun 8 Oct) – interactive and immersive exhibition for children at NGV International. Full review.
- Wallace & Gromit and Friends: The Magic of Aardman (Fri 15 Sep – Sun 29 Oct) – take an extraordinary trip from sketches and models through to elaborate sets as these beloved characters take shape on screen. Full review.
- The Pool: Architecture, Culture and Identity ( Fri 15 Sep – Thu 1 Feb 2018) – A multi-sensory installation of water, light, scent and sound, The Pool is an interactive space, complete with wooden decking and pool lounge chairs.
- Celebrate Studio Ghibli (Fri 15 Sep – Sun 24 Sep) – A celebration of one of the world’s most beloved animation studios.
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (Fri 15 Sep – Sat 30 Sep) – Follow Alice down the rabbit hole into a world of colour, fun and fantasy in this dazzling, internationally acclaimed production.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Agent 88 Warehouse Sale (Sat 16 Sep) – clothing, shoes, ex display toys & furniture will be on sale including Christmas decorations & trees.
- Kiddyrock Family Jam (Sat 16 Sep) – Music, drums, singing, dancing, art activities and a special performance by Ally Boom Boom and the Cool Bananas.
- All for Kids Market (Sat 16 Sep) – baby and kids market for boutique and pre-loved items.
- BE Block Party (Sat 16 Sep) – DJ, food trucks, coffee.
- Writing Workshop Ailsa Wild (Sat 16 Sep) – Spend an hour making stories with Ailsa Wild: she promises laughter, way too many ideas, and to answer anything you can think of to ask at this Writing Workshop!
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 16 Sep) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds. Full review.
- Coburg Farmers Market (Sat 16 Sep) – farmers market every Saturday near Harmony Park playground.
- Pirate Market (Sat 16 Sep) – Melbourne’s finest sellers of Piratical Wares come together to showcase their range of strange and wonderful things.
- Darebin Family Fun Day (Sun 17 Sep) – AFL Star Ben Brown, AFLW legend Daisy Pearce, Face painting, Craft Stalls, Photo Booths, Food Trucks, Coffee, Proud 2 Play Sports Activities, Fairy Floss, Popcorn, Book Corner, Silent Disco, Westside Circus, Music, Rainbow Families Victoria, Blackfulla’s for Marriage Equality doing a weaving / yarning circle and much much more!
- Hermione’s Birthday Party (Tue 19 Sep) – celebrate the birthday of one of the greatest girls in modern fiction: Hermione Granger!
- Preston Food Trucks French Foodie Festival (Fri 15 Sep – Sun 16 Sep) – vibrant, edgy and attractive venue offering Melbourne’s favourite food trucks on rotation, events and entertainment. FULL REVIEW.
- Bug Lab Melbourne Museum (Fri 15 Sep – Oct) – exploring the world of bugs. Full review.
- National Geographic Photo Ark (Fri 15 Sep – 1 Oct) – exclusive photo exhibition is using the power of photography to inspire people to save animals before it’s too late.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 16 Sep) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.\
- Mornington Railway (Sun 17 Sep) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Labassa Mansion and Tower Tour (Sun 17 Sep) – Take a tour of the house and have some morning tea or lunch in the kitchens.
- Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 20 Sep) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Around the World in 80 Days (Fri 22 Sep) – Phileas Fogg says he can race from London to London in a mere 80 days, but the pressure is on and time is running out. At his side,
- Tesselaar Tulip Festival (Fri 15 Sep – Tue 10 Oct) – tulip fields, live entertainment, market stalls and tempting foods.
- Victorian State Schools Spectacular (Sat 16 Sep) – Across the two shows, over 10,000 people will have the chance to see some of the rising stars of today.
- Schwerkolt Cottage Heritage Family Day (Sun 17 Sep) – Pack a picnic and have a wonderful FREE day out with friends and family enjoying old-fashioned sack races, pony rides, an animal farm, face painting, live music along with demonstrations of spinning, weaving, woodturning and blacksmithing.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 17 Sep) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- Box Hill Miniature Railway (Sun 17 Sep) – Every 3rd Sunday the ride this wonderful Miniature Railway, the track winds through the picturesque surrounds of Elgar Park. READ THE REVIEW.
- Party Time Eastland (Mon 18 Sep – Wed 20 Sep) – Join in the fun with Poppies for Grace’s PARTY TIME. A morning of party craft and games. Free for 3 to 5 years.
- LightTime Scienceworks (Fri 15 Sep onwards) – a collective of 11 Melbourne based artists who have created hypnotic and mesmerising works. Full review.
- Balanced Lifestyle Street Party (Fri 15 Sep) – Come join PLASTIC LOAVES and MESH MASH as they transform Market Street into a place for celebration and fun as part of ART IN PUBLIC PLACES.
- Little Red Train Werribee (Sat 16 Sep – Sun 17 Sep) – take a trackless train ride through picturesque Werribee Park. FULL REVIEW.
- Around the World in 80 Days (Sat 16 Sep) – The whole family can join in the wild adventures of Mr. Fogg and Mr. Passepartout as they try to out run Detective Fix of Scotland Yard.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 16 Sep) – mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights. Full review.
- Art Sauce for Kids Laverton (Sat 16 Sep) – free art and creative workshops with Little Art Big Art. READ THE REVIEW.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 16 Sep) – circus class for 18 month -5 year olds. READ THE REVIEW.
- Flemington Racecourse Market (Sun 17 Sep) – Local makers offer everything from skincare to sculptures, and a bounty of food such as fresh bread, spice mixes and wine.
- Kensington Market (Sun 17 Sep) – monthly market showcase of talented local artisans and crafters.
- Beers & Braids (Sun 17 Sep) – one-hour workshop where dads learn to style their kid’s hair. Dads drink beer, bond with their kid and learn to braid like a boss.
- Bulla Hill Railway (Sun 17 Sep) – Every 1st and 3rd Sunday the ride this the dinosaur trail on the miniature railway. FULL REVIEW.
- Altona Miniature Railway (Sun 17 Sep) – Every third Sunday of the month the Altona Miniature Railway is opened to members of the public and members take kids and adults on rides on the mini steam and diesel engines. READ THE REVIEW
- Footscray Finds (Sun 17 Sep) – unique, boutique and handmade monthly at Footscray Library’s Carpark, Paisley Street, Footscray. Full review.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 18 Sep) – free creative workshops for kids.