For our family spring also heralds our annual visit to the Tesselaar Tulip Festival. This year the event runs from Thursday 14 September until Sunday 15 October 2017.
The tulips have bloomed later than usual due to the unusually cold start to spring. The festival season has also been extended beyond Tuesday 10 October to Sunday 15 October.
We visit during the Food Wine & Jazz Weekend (Friday 29 September – Sunday 1 October) and the flowers mostly all in full bloom. Every year we have a couple of must-dos – the tractor ride ($5 per person or 4 for $15) and the Dutch pancakes (from $7).
There is live entertainment daily and foods and market stalls on offer plus for our weekend’s events tickets include tastings of beers, wines and ciders from Red Duck Beer, Yering Farm Wines, Yarrawood Estate, Oakridge Wines, Buckleys Beer and more.
To make your trip more enjoyable come prepared. Make sure you wear your gumboots to protect your previous footwear and take a jacket for the strong breeze that rolls into the valley. BYO water bottle and you’re welcome to bring a picnic, though there are plenty of food options around.
- arrive at 9-10am so that you can snap pictures without crowds of people in the way. Also available parking is much closer;
- buy your tickets online in advance to avoid ticket counter queues;
- midday is peak hour;
- wear gumboots and easily-washed clothes. The red clay gets muddy very quickly with the number of people walking around and the dirt marks everything;
- if you can try to avoid taking a pram. Given the crowds and soggy ground conditions it’s really best enjoyed by children who are able to walk steadily;
- if your kids are old enough, give them a phone camera to experiment with. It’s hard to take a bad shot; and
- during school holidays there are Children’s days with kids activities, petting zoos and music at no additional cost.
Tesselaar Tulip Festival, Tesselaar Tulip Farm, 357 Monbulk Rd, Silvan
Thursday 14 September – Sunday 15 October 2017
Daily 9am to 5pm
Children (under 16): Free, if accompanied by adults
Online Group discount: $24 each – when you buy 10 or more tickets in the one online transaction.