Spring school holidays are starting soon from Saturday 23 September to Sunday 8 October.
Here’s your mega list of school holiday events in Melbourne’s CBD and Docklands, sorted by date.
- QV Fresh Take (Fri 22 Sep – Fri 29 Sep) – Fresh / Take is all about creating a new approach to wellness, living and thinking. We have complimentary workshops and experiences including Massage Yoga, group guided meditations from A-Space, spring wine tastings, fresh live music, and food workshops.
- Junk Arts Centre (Fri 22 Sep – Sat 23 Sep) – Meet the play-loving kids who live behind a junkyard in this exhilarating new show from Flying Fruit Circus.
- Celebrate Studio Ghibli (Fri 22 Sep – Sun 24 Sep) – A celebration of one of the world’s most beloved animation studios.
- Oktoberfest Munich Brauhaus (Fri 22 Sep – Sun 29 Oct) – inaugural Oktoberfest street parade, a Dogs of Oktoberfest costume competition, kids entertainer, face painter and games area and petting zoo.
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (Fri 22 Sep – Sun 30 Sep) – The Australian Ballet presents a colourful, fun and extravagantly-produced version of Lewis Carroll’s classic story.
- Pop Up Globe (Fri 22 Sep – 12 Nov) – Pop-up Globe, the world’s first full-scale temporary working replica of one of the greatest theatres in history, the second Globe, is popping up right next door to the iconic Sidney Myer Music Bowl.
- Artplay (Fri 22 Sep – Sun 8 Oct) – free and paid workshops.
- Melbourne Fringe Festival (Fri 22 Sep – Sun 8 Oct) – kid-friendly free and paid events.
- Wallace & Gromit and Friends: The Magic of Aardman (Fri 15 Sep – Sun 29 Oct) – take an extraordinary trip from sketches and models through to elaborate sets as these beloved characters take shape on screen. Full review.
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 22 Sep – 14 Jan) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- Melbourne Fringe Spotlight Stage (Sat 23 Sep) – free jam-packed highlights package unlike any other – family friendly fun that gives you a snapshot of Melbourne Fringe 2017.
- Dachshund Race Southgate (Sat 23 Sep) – watch these adorable Dachshunds race and raise money for Dachshund Rescue Australia. Get your dog’s outfit ready too as we will be judging ‘Best Dressed Dachshund’ for those in the race.
- Brickman Experience (Sat 23 Sep – 28 Jan) – collection of individual works by Ryan McNaught – the only LEGO® Certified Professional in the Southern Hemisphere and interactive master builder zones. Full review.
- Eureka Skydeck (Sat 23 Sep – Sun 8 Oct) – All Eureka Skydeck Explorers will receive a FREE Skydeck Scratchy Quiz and a Crayola Color Alive pack for every lucky quiz winner to continue the school holiday fun at home.
- The Footy District Harbour Town (Sat 23 Sep – Sun 8 Oct) – AFL fun with interactive inflatable goals, training drills, a handball target wall, interactive obstacle course, a game activity cube plus a colouring-in station. Player meet and greets. Full review.
- O’Briens Group Arena (Sat 23 Sep – Sun 8 Oct) – introduce kids to the fun of skating every day of the school holidays.
- Family Friendly Marriage Equality Picnic (Sun 24 Sep) – family friendly marriage equality event with face painting, balloon twisting.
- ACMI (Sun 24 Sep – Sun 8 Oct) – kids and teens’ workshops in coding, filmmaking, robotics, virtual reality and more.
- Kids Oktoberfest Munich Brauhaus (Sun 24 Sep, Sun 1 Oct, Sun 8 Oct) – kids eat for free, mobile farm experience, face painter, kids’ entertainer and yummy food at Munich Brauhaus.
- Animals! For Real! NGV (Mon 25 Sep – Fri 29 Sep) – Live in the Great Hall, reptiles, marsupials, and bugs will be on show for children to draw and to find out about their incredible lives and habitats.
- Loop Workshop Arts Centre (Mon 25 Sep – Tues 26 Sep) – In a series of workshops run by professional dancers, children aged 2-8 years are guided to use their imaginative powers through dance. Inspired by the children’s dancing, Nat and her team will choreograph an intricate and idiosyncratic piece using the children’s intuitive movements as its building blocks.
- Starry Southern Skies Royal Botanical Gardens Melbourne (Mon 25 Sep, Thu 28 Sep, Mon 2 Oct, Thu 5 Oct) – See the roof of the Melbourne Observatory rotate and open to view the amazing Australian night sky.
- Kids Can Cook (Mon 25 Sep – Fri 6 Oct) – interactive cupcake-decorating workshop at Little Collins St Kitchen. Our culinary experts will introduce all children 5-12 years old to the art of patisserie while the parents enjoy afternoon tea.
- Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium (Mon 25 Sep – Fri 6 Oct) – school holiday program with full educational tour, an exclusive look behind-the-scenes, art and craft activities and the chance to meet aquarium aquarists and keepers.
- Immigration Museum (Mon 25 Sep – Fri 6 Oct) – celebrate the Moon Festival with workshops and exhibitions.
- Afternoon Tea Hotel Windsor (Mon 25 Sep – Fri 6 Oct) – kids pay the equivalent of their age for a special afternoon tea stand and chocolate fountain. Full review.
- Melbourne Library Service (Mon 25 Sep – Fri 6 Oct) – various workshops and activities, all free.
- Lego Educational Centre (Mon 25 Sep – Fri 6 Oct) – 2 hour Lego workshops from 3+ years. READ THE REVIEW.
- Barbie High Tea Langham Melbourne (Mon 25 Sep – Fri 13 Oct) – Barbie ‘You Can Be Anything’ High tea at Aria Lounge.
- Horrible Harriet Arts Centre (Wed 27 Sep – Sat 30 Sep) – Horrible Harriet lives in the roof of her school and keeps teachers chained in the cellar to do her homework.
Harriet and the other children don’t see eye to eye – but all Harriet really wants is a friend. Win tickets
- Footy Festival 2017 (Wed 27 Sep – Sat 30 Sep) – AFL Kids Zone at Yarra Park, Woolworths AFL Playground, with goal kicking, handballing and heaps of fun to be had. Full review.
- Teeny Tiny Stevies (Thu 28 Sep) – Join this alt-folk-pop band this September school holidays and sing about all the challenges of being a kid.
- Australian Ballet Behind the Scenes (Fri 29 Sep) – Watch as ballet dancers take class on stage and fine-tune their technique in preparation for a performance.
- AFL Grand Final Parade (Fri 29 Sep) – streets of Melbourne will again play host to the 2017 Toyota AFL Grand Final Parade.
- Cosplay Day NGV (Fri 29 Sep) – All visitors aged 18 and under who are dressed up in ‘cosplay’ (costume inspired by a fictional character) will receive FREE ENTRY to the NGV’s major exhibition Hokusai.
- ACMI Family Sunday (Sun 1 Oct) – day for families to come together and interact with screen culture in all its forms with different theme each month.
- Pirate Sunday Polly Woodside (Sun 1 Oct) – Dress as a pirate and come help us search for hidden treasure, play tug of war and have your face painted.
- Imagined Instruments (Mon 2 Oct – Fri 6 Oct) – Start your own family band in this workshop for kids and grown-ups.
- Sounds of the Library (Tue 3 Oct – Fri 6 Oct) – Go behind the scenes to see special musical books and illustrations from the Library’s collection, and join a workshop to make some of your own electronic tunes.
- Artplay Backyard (Wed 4 Oct – Sun 10 Dec) – Draw in the dirt, build sculptures with recycled and natural materials or muck about with water. Full review.
- NGV Arty Party (Sat 7 Oct) – teens will dive into a colourful world of Japanese- and French-themed art, food, music, and dance at the next Art Party at NGV International
Don’t forget these HOT CBD locations as well:
- Fiona Hall: Uneasy Seasons NGV
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria
- ArtPlay Playground
- Library at the Dock
And some HOT family-friendly dining out tips: