Celebrate Melbourne’s birthday with Melbourne Day events on 27 August and 30 August. Have a great week!
- European Night Market (Fri 25 Aug) – take in the rich European aromas of mulled wine, German sausages and freshly baked pretzels as you browse the mix of new and returning food stalls every Friday night.
- Melbourne Writers Festival (Fri 25 Aug – Sun 3 Sep) – workshops, talks and exhibitions, including family-friendly programming.
- Slide, Skate and Chill (Fri 25 Aug – Thu 31 Aug) – undercover riverside ice rink and toboggan slide. Full review.
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 25 Aug – Sun 22 Oct) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- Queen Street Plaza (Sat 26 Aug – Sun 27 Aug) – A place to sit, eat, have a drink and enjoy free family entertainment right in the heart of the city.
- Melbourne Regatta (Sun 27 Aug) – Free Ferry cruises around Victoria Harbour, live entertainment, walking tours and story telling.
- Melbourne Day Family Festival (Sun 27 Aug) – tours of the schooner Enterprize, face painting, roving entertainment, food trucks and birthday cupcake giveaways.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 30 Aug) – best of winter food, design and theatrics to the market every Wednesday during winter. FULL REVIEW.
- Melbourne Day (Wed 30 Aug) – flag raising and more.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 25 Aug – 5 Sep) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. There’s a new theme every season for Winter 2017 it’s inspired by Penguin Problems.
- Fiona Hall: Uneasy Seasons NGV (Fri 25 Aug – Sun 8 Oct) – interactive and immersive exhibition for children at NGV International. Full review.
- Wallace & Gromit and Friends: The Magic of Aardman (Fri 25 Aug – Sun 29 Oct) – take an extraordinary trip from sketches and models through to elaborate sets as these beloved characters take shape on screen.
- The Pool: Architecture, Culture and Identity ( Fri 25 Aug – Thu 1 Feb 2018) – A multi-sensory installation of water, light, scent and sound, The Pool is an interactive space, complete with wooden decking and pool lounge chairs
- Australia Lives Here (Fri 25 Aug – Fri 15 Sep) – See 100 iconic 20th-century products from Myer’s extensive archives, including items submitted by the public and spanning fashion to toys, appliances to games.
- Celebrate Studio Ghibli ( Fri 25 Aug – Sun 24 Sep) – A celebration of one of the world’s most beloved animation studios.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Street Food Clash Preston (Fri 25 Aug – Sun 27 Aug) – vibrant, edgy and attractive venue offering Melbourne’s favourite food trucks on rotation, events and entertainment. FULL REVIEW.
- Bug Lab Melbourne Museum (Fri 25 Aug – Oct) – exploring the world of bugs. Full review.
- National Geographic Photo Ark (Fri 25 Aug – 1 Oct) – exclusive photo exhibition is using the power of photography to inspire people to save animals before it’s too late.
- Book Week Parade (Sat 26 Aug) – Join Little Bookroom to celebrate Escape to Everywhere.
- Sisters Market Brunswick (Sat 26 Aug) – design and craft market.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 27 Aug) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds. Full review.
- The Ultimate Baby Event (Sun 27 Aug) – chat with the top baby brands who will be exhibiting the latest and greatest gear
- Hurstbridge Wattle Festival (Sun 27 Aug) – A rural street festival held on the last Saturday in August in Hurstbridge.
- 100 Years of Maternity and Child Health (Tue 29 Aug) – Join us to celebrate 100 years of Maternal and Child Health with a fun interactive morning of entertainment joined by the following.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 26 Aug) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Creators Market (Sat 26 Aug) – market of home wares, children's toys, artwork, jewellery, food items.
- Mornington Railway (Sun 27 Aug) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 30 Aug) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Superhero Themed Father’s Day Family Night (Thu 31 Aug) – Activities includes craft, building with Bayside Men’s Shed, a Ryobi building workshop, a jumping castle, reptiles, games, food including popcorn and fairy floss and a whole heap of door prizes.
- Eastland ice skating & events (Fri 25 – Thu 31 Aug) – undercover ice skating, workshops.
- Taralye Market (Sat 26 Aug) – community winter event during Hearing Awareness Week.
- Melbourne Tram Museum (Sat 26 Aug) – Visit a Melbourne icon at this quirky museum. FULL REVIEW.
- Mooroolbark Miniature Railway (Sun 27 Aug) – miniature rail running every 4th Sunday.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 27 Aug) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- Hot Chocolate Festival at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Fri 25 Aug – Thu 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings.
- LightTime Scienceworks (Fri 25 Aug onwards) – a collective of 11 Melbourne based artists who have created hypnotic and mesmerising works. Full review.
- Due West Immersive Arts Festival (Fri 25 Aug – Sun 27 Aug) – immersive arts experiences which allow participants to interact, engage and participate.
- West Projections (Fri 25 Aug – Sun 27 Aug) – projection art will illuminate creative spaces, VU campus, businesses and public places.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 26 Aug) – mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights.
- Toddler and Preschool Circus Club (Sat 26 Aug) – Explore aerials, balances, circus circuits and games. FULL REVIEW
- Fairy Park Anakie reopening (Sat 26 Aug) – Australia’s oldest theme park reopens for the summer season. READ THE REVIEW.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 28 Aug) – free creative workshops for kids.
- Hot Chocolate Festival at Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie (Fri 25 Aug – Thu 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings.