I’ll also be celebrating my Chinese heritage at Chinese Fortunes Festival and there are National Science Week events ending this weekend. It’s also Book Week (19-26 Aug) this week and we’re looking forward to admiring everyone’s costumes! Have a great week!
- European Night Market (Fri 18 Aug – Fri 25 Aug) – take in the rich European aromas of mulled wine, German sausages and freshly baked pretzels as you browse the mix of new and returning food stalls every Friday night.
- Slide, Skate and Chill (Fri 18 Aug – Thu 31 Aug) – undercover riverside ice rink and toboggan slide. Full review.
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 18 Aug – Sun 22 Oct) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- MIFF Kids Gala (Sat 19 Aug) – Walk the red carpet and join the party with delicious Cobs popcorn and fun festivities before the screening
- Queen Street Plaza (Sat 19 Aug – Sun 20 Aug) – A place to sit, eat, have a drink and enjoy free family entertainment right in the heart of the city.
- Book Week Melbourne Library Service (Sat 19 Aug – Sun 26 Aug) – Drop in to a storytime or book into a fabulous event.
- Leempeeyt Weeyn’ – Indigenous Campfire (Fri 18 Aug – Sun 20 Aug) – live performances, storytelling, learning and sharing over a continuously burning fire.
- Sunday Family Funday Munich Brauhaus (Sun 20 Aug) – mobile farm experience, face painter, kids’ entertainer and yummy food at Munich Brauhaus.
- Chinese Fortunes Festival (Sun 20 Aug) Immigration Museum courtyard will be transformed into a Chinese street market with stalls selling authentic street fare, crafts, live music, calligraphy demonstrations, dumpling-making class and Chinese chess.
- AFL Sunday Funday (Sun 20 Aug) – free entry for kids and activities on at Sunday AFL games.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 23 Aug) – best of winter food, design and theatrics to the market every Wednesday during winter. FULL REVIEW.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 18 Aug – 5 Sep) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. There’s a new theme every season for Winter 2017 it’s inspired by Penguin Problems.
- Fiona Hall: Uneasy Seasons NGV (Fri 18 Aug – Sun 8 Oct) – interactive and immersive exhibition for children at NGV International. Full review.
- Artplay Inside Out (Wed 23 Aug – Thu 24 Aug) – free indoor play and explore a different idea and activity each week every Wednesday and Thursday. FULL REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Sausage Fest Preston (Fri 18 Aug – Sun 20 Aug) – vibrant, edgy and attractive venue offering Melbourne’s favourite food trucks on rotation, events and entertainment. FULL REVIEW.
- Bug Lab Melbourne Museum (Fri 18 Aug – Oct) – exploring the world of bugs. Full review.
- National Geographic Photo Ark (Fri 18 Aug – 1 Oct) – exclusive photo exhibition is using the power of photography to inspire people to save animals before it’s too late.
- Donut Fest Coburg (Sat 19 Aug – Sun 20 Aug) – Think hot chocolate, mulled wine, hot jam donuts, coffee, plenty of outdoor heating and cheery festoon lighting.
- Artists on Were St (Sat 19 Aug – Sun 3 Sep) – Fashion art and styling, mosaics, sculptures and painting in many genres at Montmorency Shopping Village.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 20 Aug) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds. Full review.
- Book Week at Melbourne Museum (Mon 21 Aug – Sat 26 Aug) – Come along dressed up as your favourite character and attend one of our Museum Stories reading sessions throughout the week or join our spectacular dress-up Book Parade through the museum galleries!
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 19 Aug) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Live N Local (Sat 19 Aug – Sun 26 Aug) – week of free live music and events.
- Teddy Bear Hospital Chadstone (Sat 19 Aug – Sun 20 Aug) – Bring your children and their favourite teddy or soft toy for a medical check-up at Chadstone.
- Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 23 Aug) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Glow Winter Arts Festival (Fri 18 Aug – Sun 20 Aug) – arts, culture and food festival.
- MelbourneEast Arts Festival (Fri 18 Aug – Sun 20 Aug) – three-day family friendly arts festival at Holy Trinity Anglican Church.
- Eastland ice skating & events (Fri 18 Aug – 31 Aug) – undercover ice skating, workshops.
- Yarra Glen Festival of Light (Sun 20 Aug) – magical lantern parade, lantern making workshop, Food trucks, musical performances, and lots of surprises.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 20 Aug) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- Box Hill Miniature Railway (Sun 20 Aug) – Every 3rd Sunday the ride this wonderful Miniature Railway, the track winds through the picturesque surrounds of Elgar Park. READ THE REVIEW.
- Hot Chocolate Festival at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Fri 18 Aug – Thu 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings.
- LightTime Scienceworks (Fri 18 Aug onwards) – a collective of 11 Melbourne based artists who have created hypnotic and mesmerising works. Full review.
- Due West Immersive Arts Festival (Fri 18 Aug – Sun 27 Aug) – immersive arts experiences which allow participants to interact, engage and participate.
- West Projections (Fri 18 Aug – Sun 27 Aug) – projection art will illuminate creative spaces, VU campus, businesses and public places.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 19 Aug) – mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights.
- Altona Beach Film Festival (Sat 19 Aug) – interactive evening of film and entertainment by the Bay.
- Toddler and Preschool Circus Club (Sat 19 Aug) – Explore aerials, balances, circus circuits and games. FULL REVIEW
- Altona Miniature Railway (Sun 20 Aug) – Every third Sunday of the month the Altona Miniature Railway is opened to members of the public and members take kids and adults on rides on the mini steam and diesel engines. READ THE REVIEW.
- Bulla Hill Railway (Sun 20 Aug) – Every 1st and 3rd Sunday the ride this the dinosaur trail on the miniature railway.
- Kensington Market (Sun 20 Aug) – monthly market showcase of talented local artisans and crafters.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 21 Aug) – free creative workshops for kids.
- 100 Stories Before School Celebration (Tue 22 Aug) – Jeanette Rowe will read from her collection of ‘Whose’ books, light refreshments for children, colouring activities.
- Hot Chocolate Festival at Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie (Fri 18 Aug – Thu 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings.