It’s Love Your Bookshop Day this Saturday 12 August so check out this list to find out what’s happening at your local bookshop, join in the festivities and support our local booksellers.
It’s also National Science Week and the start of West Projections with projection art and events all around the inner west. As part of the festival look out for more info on my event Dancing Lights on Saturday 19 August. It’s the first event produced through my new identity Wheelie Good Fun. Have a great week!
- Market of the Mind (Fri 11 Aug) -live music, charlatans, magicians, performers, and the chance to speed-meet a scientist!
- Family Magic and Illusion Show (Fri 11 Aug – Sat 12 Aug) – Travel back with Auslusion to the 1920’s when magic was in its golden years and crowds of hundreds would pack vaudeville theatres.
- Melbourne International Film Festival (Fri 11 Aug – Sun 20 Aug) – program of family-friendly films.
- European Night Market (Fri 11 Aug – Fri 25 Aug) – take in the rich European aromas of mulled wine, German sausages and freshly baked pretzels as you browse the mix of new and returning food stalls every Friday night.
- Slide, Skate and Chill (Fri 11 Aug – Thu 31 Aug) – undercover riverside ice rink and toboggan slide. Full review.
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 11 Aug – Sun 22 Oct) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- The Secret Life of Suitcases Arts Centre Melbourne (Sat 12 Aug – Sun 13 Aug) – Join Larry in The Secret Life of Suitcases as his world gets turned upside down by a fantastical flying suitcase that takes him further than he ever thought possible.
- Indian Film Festival (Sat 12 Aug – Sun 13 Aug) – free screenings from Bollywood and more at Federation Square!
- Queen Street Plaza (Sat 12 Aug – Sun 13 Aug) – A place to sit, eat, have a drink and enjoy free family entertainment right in the heart of the city.
- Leempeeyt Weeyn’ – Indigenous Campfire (Sat 12 Aug – Sun 20 Aug) – live performances, storytelling, learning and sharing over a continuously burning fire.
- Sunday Family Funday Munich Brauhaus (Sun 13 Aug) – mobile farm experience, face painter, kids’ entertainer and yummy food at Munich Brauhaus.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 16 Aug) – best of winter food, design and theatrics to the market every Wednesday during winter. FULL REVIEW.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 11 Aug – 5 Sep) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. There’s a new theme every season for Winter 2017 it’s inspired by Penguin Problems.
- Fiona Hall: Uneasy Seasons NGV (Fri 11 Aug – Sun 8 Oct) – interactive and immersive exhibition for children at NGV International. Full review.
- Artplay Inside Out (Wed 16 Aug – Thu 24 Aug) – free indoor play and explore a different idea and activity each week every Wednesday and Thursday. FULL REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Big Breakfast Festival Preston (Fri 11 Aug – Sun 13 Aug) – vibrant, edgy and attractive venue offering Melbourne’s favourite food trucks on rotation, events and entertainment. FULL REVIEW.
- Bug Lab Melbourne Museum (Fri 11 Aug – Oct) – exploring the world of bugs. Full review.
- National Geographic Photo Ark (Fri 11 Aug – 1 Oct) – exclusive photo exhibition is using the power of photography to inspire people to save animals before it’s too late.
- Farmers Market at Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sat 12 Aug) – Shop local and seasonal produce and visit the Collingwood Children’s Farm for only $2 adult entry (kids free). FULL REVIEW.
- Batman Market Coburg (Sat 12 Aug) – best of Melbourne’s food, fresh produce and unique local products.
- Brunswick Flea Market (Sun 12 Aug) – New and vintage furniture, household items and clothing.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 13 Aug) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds. Full review.
- Fair Trade and Sustainable Market Preston (Sun 13 Aug) – Moral Fairground’s event for promoting fair trade and sustainable practices.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 12 Aug) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 16 Aug) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Glow Winter Arts Festival (Fri 11 Aug – Sun 20 Aug) – arts, culture and food festival.
- A Mad Tea Party South Yarra (Sat 12 Aug) – join Stonnington Libraries and fellow textile craft enthusiasts for A Mad Tea Party.
- Alll India Day Dandenong (Sat 12 Aug) – event showcasing the traditions of Indian heritage and celebrating Indian Independence Day.
- Young at Art at Mornington Peninsula Art Gallery (Tue 15 Aug) – program for 0-5 year olds. Sing, dance, clap and stomp your feet with Matteo! Do an exciting activity with the Education Coordinator afterwards.
- Eastland ice skating & events (Fri 11 Aug – 31 Aug) – undercover ice skating, workshops.
- Melbourne Tram Museum (Sat 12 Aug) – Visit a Melbourne icon at this quirky museum. FULL REVIEW.
- Belgrave Big Dreams Market (Sun 13 Aug) – discover original and bespoke design pieces, some of the yummiest and freshest produce the area has to offer, live music, bouncy castle and facepainting for the kids.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 13 Aug) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- Hot Chocolate Festival at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Fri 11 Aug – Thu 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings.
- LightTime Scienceworks (Fri 11 Aug onwards) – a collective of 11 Melbourne based artists who have created hypnotic and mesmerising works. Full review.
- Due West Immersive Arts Festival (Fri 11 Aug – Sun 27 Aug) – immersive arts experiences which allow participants to interact, engage and participate.
- West Projections (Fri 11 Aug – Sun 27 Aug) – projection art will illuminate creative spaces, VU campus, businesses and public places.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 12 Aug) – mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights.
- Toddler and Preschool Circus Club (Sat 12 Aug) – Explore aerials, balances, circus circuits and games. FULL REVIEW
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 14 Aug) – free creative workshops for kids.
- Hot Chocolate Festival at Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie (Fri 11 Aug – Thu 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings.