Last weekend of the school holidays then it’s back to the books! Here’s all the fun happening in Melbourne for families this week. Have a great week!
- Indian Festival (Sat 15 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – Experience a taste of India as the Market’s Queen Street is transformed into the famous Chandni Chowk of Delhi.
- Circus Oz Birrarung Marr (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – high-voltage acrobatics and explosive aerial antics. Full review.
- ACMI (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – variety of paid and free drop-in workshops and Kids Flicks.
- Variety Ice Slide (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – a thrilling 40-metre long, four-metre high ice slide will be set up alongside Southbank’s waterfront. Full review.
- Winter Skate O’Brien Group Arena (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – figure skating champions, craft, face painting, free beginner lessons, under 8s ice fun.
- River Rink Federation Square (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 23 Jul) – During the day views of the city and Yarra River form a dramatic backdrop for skaters and as nightfall arrives River Rink in Fed Square transforms into a fairyland of light and colour. Suitable for all ages.
- Slide, Skate and Chill (Fri 14 Jul – Thu 31 Aug) – undercover riverside ice rink and toboggan slide. Full review.
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 22 Oct) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- Sunday Family Funday Munich Brauhaus (Sun 15 Jul) – mobile farm experience, face painter, kids’ entertainer and yummy food at Munich Brauhaus.
- Melbourne Library Service (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – various workshops and activities, all free.
- Captain Cook’s Compass Trail (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – In this adventure at Cooks’ Cottage, kids will learn how a compass works and go on a lost items hun
- It’s Snowtime Wonderland Junior (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – An undercover snowy adventure zone with snowman building activities, snowball throwing target area and mini snow tube snow slide.
- LEGO City Play Zone Harbour Town (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – free giant life size LEGO City Play Zone with free building, ipad games, photo ops. Full review.
- Bricks 4 Kids at Fed Square (Fri 14 Jul – Mon 17 Jul) – On selected days during River Rink, kids’ can challenge themselves in Bricks 4 Kidz LEGO building workshops.
- Despicable Me 3 High Tea (Fri 14 Jul – Fri 21 Jul) – menu inspired by the new Despicable Me 3 movie.
- The Story of Lamp (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – In this interactive journey, a series of talking lamps will take you and your family on an exploration of Arts Centre Melbourne’s Theatres Building. Full review.
- Ickypedia Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 14 Jul – Sat 15 Jul) – Australia’s favourite kids comedians, The Listies, bring their best-smelling book Ickypedia: A Dictionary of Disgusting New Words to the stage in a brand new show!
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 19 Jul) – best of winter food, design and theatrics to the market every Wednesday during winter. FULL REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Finders Keepers Market (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 July) – design & art stalls from local designers to talented folk from all around Australia.
- Bastille Day French Festival (Sat 15 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – French food and wine, market stalls, entertainment.
- Melbourne Museum (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – exploring the world of Bugs. Make a bug, see a bug, be a bug, including Bug Lab exhibition.
- National Geographic Photo Ark (Fri 14 Jul – 1 Oct) – exclusive photo exhibition is using the power of photography to inspire people to save animals before it’s too late.
- Melbourne Magic Festival (Fri 14 Jul – Sat 15 Jul) – see world class performances of magic in a theatrical environment.
- The Wind in the Willows (Fri 14 Jul – Sat 15 Jul) – This is a charming, classic tale of adventure and discovery, in a brand new one-man adaptation starring Shaka Cook (Jasper Jones).
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 16 Jul) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds. Full review.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- How to be a Rockstar (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – Little legends of Melbourne come release your inner rock legend with air guitar, power poses and signature dance moves.
- Loose Ends (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – A wonderful and magical family show full of wacky thingamabobs. Tie up some ‘Loose Ends’ when this adventurous one-man show full of groovy gadgets, playful puppets and skilful clowning lands in St Kilda.
- Lego Batman Experience Legoland (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – photo ops with the scene-stealing star, a themed scavenger hunt and LEGO Batman™-inspired LEGO build activities.
- Christmas in July at Luna Park (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – Luna Park is decking the halls with Christmas jolly these winter school holidays – and everyone is invited!
- Puss in Boots Malvern East (Fri 14 Jul – Sat 15 Jul) – Panto, traditional lemon drink and fairy bread!
- Mornington Railway (Sun 16 Jul) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Djuki Mala (Tue 18 – 28 Jul) – Unique, infectious, high-energy and always exuberant, Djuki Mala fuse traditional Yolngu and contemporary pop culture, dance and storytelling to create work that is a marvel of timing, comedy and clowning with a hefty dose of heart and soul.
- Eastland ice skating & events (Sat 1 Jul – 31 Aug) – undercover ice skating, workshops, interactive inflatable sculptures.
- Winter Bushland Adventure Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – Visit the magical ‘storynook’ at the Heritage Shelter and enjoy animated readings of classic Aussie kids’ stories against the beautiful backdrop of a cosy open fire.
- Little Red Riding Hood Doncaster Playhouse (Fri 14 Jul – Sat 15 Jul) – live children’s shows aimed at children ages 3-8.
- Box Hill Miniature Railway (Sun 16 Jul) – Every 3rd Sunday the ride this wonderful Miniature Railway, the track winds through the picturesque surrounds of Elgar Park. FULL REVIEW
- A Hero’s Guide to Saving the Planet (Fri 14 Jul – Sat 15 Jul) – environmental superhero story with bright colours, silly jokes and sight gags.
- Wild Nights at Werribee Open Range (Fri 14 Jul – Sat 15 Jul) – Bring your torch and a sense of adventure to the Zoo! These winter school holidays, explore the Zoo as it comes to life after dark with thrilling fire shows, animal encounters, marshmallow toasting, the shadow puppet theatre and a secret garden to explore. Full review.
- Scienceworks (Fri 14 – Sun 16 Jul) – the Amazing Laser Maze and Museum of Tomorrow talk plus Lighttime, a collective of 11 Melbourne based artists who have created hypnotic and mesmerising works.
- Winter Wonderlights Sovereign Hill (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 30 Jul) – Christmas in July with snow falls, carols and projections. Full review.
- Winter Wonderland Williamstown (Fri 14 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – unlimited rides, entertainment and activities throughout the day.
- Kiddyrock Family Jam (Sun 16 Jul) – instruments and props from our workshops, craft and creative play stations and a special performance by Ally Boom Boom and the Cool Bananas.
- Footscray Finds (Sun 16 Jul) – monthly market of vintage stalls, boutique labels with food and coffee. Full review.
- Kensington Market (Sun 16 Jul) – Come to the monthly Kensington Market for a showcase of talented local artisans and crafters.
- Altona Miniature Railway public day (Sun 16 Jul) – Every third Sunday of the month the Altona Miniature Railway is opened to members of the public and members take kids and adults on rides on the mini steam and diesel engines READ THE REVIEW.
- Bulla Hill Railway (Sun 16 Jul) – ride the dinosaur trail on miniature steam and diesel engines every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month. FULL REVIEW.