Essendon Traffic School is a miniature city set out for children to practice riding their bikes and to learn road rules.
It’s open every Saturday morning and every day during school holidays. It’s a popular, low-cost way to spend a couple of hours.
The layout is very simple. There’s a 4-way intersection with traffic lights, one way streets, a roundabout and several pedestrian crossings so that kids can practice all road situations.
It takes a bit of practice (and reminding) for the kids to stay on the left side of the road and to stop when required, but otherwise the whole system runs fairly smoothly.
The petrol bowser is particularly popular!
You can BYO bike or borrow a bike and helmet for a small fee. Note no scooters or skateboards are allowed because scooters and skateboards are not allowed on roads in real life, of course.
When the kids tire of riding on the roads they can play in the sandpit…
…sit in the pretend trucks…
…or take a break inside the real W class tram.
You’re welcome to BYO food and drinks inside as there’s no coffee cart or other food/drink facilities on site. There’s a picnic shelter and free BBQs which you can use during public sessions – no bookings are taken.
The traffic school is next to Montgomery Park, which includes a small pirate-themed playground, and is a long walk/short drive to the cafes and shops on Buckley St and Albion St Essendon.
Essendon Traffic School can also be booked for private parties on Saturday afternoons from $193 for Moonee Valley residents. You can invite up to 30 children and BYO food for the picnic shelters and BBQs. There are toilets on site.
Essendon Traffic School is a great place to hang out with bike-riding kids. It’s fully fenced so if your kids are old enough you can just park yourself on a park bench and have a rest while they hoon around. We spend 2 hours there (each session is 2 hour maximum) and the kids don’t want to leave!
- Suitable for kids aged two to ten years;
- Children over the specified ages will be admitted as part of a family group but will not be able to ride;
- wear closed toe shoes and appropriate clothing for riding when you visit (including a properly fitted helmet);
- scooters and skateboards are not permitted,
- Bicycles and helmets can be hired or BYO bikes and helmets;
- Entry is on a first come, first serve basis with only 30 children permitted in each session;
- If the weather forecast is for 36°C or above, or for heavy rain, the Traffic School will not open;
- During school holidays Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning sessions are for children aged two-six years only, all other sessions are available to children aged between two and ten years;
- facility is cashless, all payments for public sessions must be made by EFTPOS;
- Free parking on street;
- toilets, water taps, picnic shelters, BBQ facilities available. No bookings required;
- site can be booked for private sessions at certain times;
- next to Montgomery Park, which includes a small pirate-themed playground, and is a long walk/short drive to the cafes and shops on Buckley St and Albion St Essendon.
Essendon Traffic School, Corner Albion and Lawson Streets, Essendon
Public sessions are held every Saturday morning from 10am-12 noon, (except for public holiday long weekends)
School holidays daily 10am to 12pm and 1pm to 3pm.
|Per child||$8 per child|
|Family rate (3 or more participants from the same family)||$7 per child|