Winter school holidays are starting soon from Saturday 1 July to Sunday 16 April.
Here’s your mega list of school holiday events in Melbourne’s CBD and Docklands, sorted by date.
- Circus Oz Birrarung Marr (Tue 20 Jun – Sun 16 Jul) – high-voltage acrobatics and explosive aerial antics. Full review.
- Docklands Firelight Festival (Sat 30 Jun – Sun 2 Jul) – the traditions of a winter solstice and a modern celebration of arts, music, food, fire and fun.
- The Wolf and Peter Arts Centre Melbourne (Sat 1 Jul – Sun 2 July) – CoisCéim Dance Theatre takes this timeless story of courage, friendship and imagination as inspiration to tell the story through the eyes of a Wolf.
- ACMI (Sat 1 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – variety of paid and free drop-in workshops, ACMI Family Sundays and Kids Flicks.
- Variety Ice Slide (Sat 1 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – a thrilling 40-metre long, four-metre high ice slide will be set up alongside Southbank’s waterfront. Full review.
- Winter Skate O’Brien Group Arena (Sat 1 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – figure skating champions, craft, face painting, free beginner lessons, under 8s ice fun.
- River Rink Federation Square (Sat 1 Jun – Sun 23 Jul) – During the day views of the city and Yarra River form a dramatic backdrop for skaters and as nightfall arrives River Rink in Fed Square transforms into a fairyland of light and colour. Suitable for all ages.
- Slide, Skate and Chill (Sat 1 Jul – Thu 31 Aug) – undercover riverside ice rink and toboggan slide. Full review.
- Aladdin the Musical (Sat 1 Jul – Sun 22 Oct) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- Pirate Sunday Polly Woodside (Sun 2 Jul) – Dress as a pirate and come help us search for hidden treasure, play tug of war and have your face painted.
- Sunday Family Funday Munich Brauhaus (Sun 2 Jul, Sun 9 Jul, Sun 15 Jul) – mobile farm experience, face painter, kids’ entertainer and yummy food at Munich Brauhaus.
- Starry Southern Skies at Royal Botanical Gardens Melbourne (Mon 3 Jul, Mon 10 Jul) – See the roof of the Melbourne Observatory rotate and open to view the amazing Australian night sky.
- Melbourne Library Service (Mon 1 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – various workshops and activities, all free.
- Captain Cook’s Compass Trail (Sat 1 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – In this adventure at Cooks’ Cottage, kids will learn how a compass works and go on a lost items hunt.
- Lego Educational Centre (Mon 3 Jul – Fri 14 Jul) – 2 hour Lego workshops from 3+ years.
- Afternoon Tea Hotel Windsor (Mon 3 Jul – Fri 14 Jul) – kids pay the equivalent of their age for a special afternoon tea stand and chocolate fountain. Full review.
- Make Do and Mend (Sat 1 Jul – Fri 14 Jul) – See how people used resources around them to make the best of scarcity during World War II in this free exhibition at the Shrine of Remembrance.
- It’s Snowtime Wonderland Junior (Sat 1 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – An undercover snowy adventure zone with snowman building activities, snowball throwing target area and mini snow tube snow slide.
- Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium (Mon 3 Jul – Fri 14 Jul) – school holiday program with full educational tour, an exclusive look behind-the-scenes, art and craft activities and the chance to meet aquarium aquarists and keepers.
- LEGO City Play Zone Harbour Town (Mon 3 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – free giant life size LEGO City Play Zone with free building, ipad games, photo ops. Full review.
- Bricks 4 Kids at Fed Square (Mon 3 Jul – Mon 17 Jul) – On selected days during River Rink, kids’ can challenge themselves in Bricks 4 Kidz LEGO building workshops.
- Despicable Me 3 High Tea (Mon 3 Jul – Fri 21 Jul) – menu inspired by the new Despicable Me 3 movie.
- Wheeler Kids (Tue 4 Jul – Thu 13 Jul) – literary kid-friendly events.
- Disney on Ice presents Frozen (Wed 5 Jul – 23 Jul) – whisked away into the wintery world of the Academy Award® winning and number one animated feature film of all time, Disney’s Frozen.
- The Story of Lamp (Sat 8 Jul – Sun 16 Jul) – In this interactive journey, a series of talking lamps will take you and your family on an exploration of Arts Centre Melbourne’s Theatres Building. Full review.
- Ickypedia Arts Centre Melbourne (Tue 11 Jul – Sat 15 Jul) – Australia’s favourite kids comedians, The Listies, bring their best-smelling book Ickypedia: A Dictionary of Disgusting New Words to the stage in a brand new show!
Don’t forget these HOT CBD locations as well:
And some HOT family-friendly dining out tips: