Hello long weekend! As the weather cools down check out NGV’s newest children’s gallery exhibition Fiona Hall: Uneasy Seasons and you might also need this list of the best indoor play spots in Melbourne.
We’re heading down to Gippsland for some R&R (follow our adventures on Facebook and Instagram). If you’re planning to head out of town too check out the family friendly travel guides for various destinations in Regional Victoria. Have a great week!
- Little Big Shots ACMI (Thu 8 Jun – Mon 12 Jun) – children’s short film festival made by kids for kids.
- Animal Extravaganza Harbour Town (Sat 10 Jun – Mon 12 Jun) – free family activities every weekend until 12 June. Last weekend
- Queen Street Plaza (Sat 10 Jun) – A place to sit, eat, have a drink and enjoy free family entertainment right in the heart of the city.
- Play School’s Big Jazz Adventure (Sat 10 Jun) – Big Ted, Jemima, Humpty and hosts Teo Gebert and Rachel Coopes will use stories, games, music and songs to introduce children (and parents!) to the wonders of jazz.
- A Taste of Portugal (Sun 11 Jun) – cultural festival that celebrates the culture of Portuguese-speaking countries and showcases cuisine, music and dance, history, language and tourism.
- Under 8s Ice Fun at Medibank Icehouse (Sun 4 Jun) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Sunday Family Funday Munich Brauhaus (Sun 12 Jun) – mobile farm experience, face painter, kids’ entertainer and yummy food at Munich Brauhaus.
- Slide, Skate and Chill (Fri 9 Jun – Thu 31 Aug) – undercover riverside ice rink and toboggan slide. Full review.
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 9 Jun – Sun 22 Oct) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 9 Jun – 5 Sep) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. There’s a new theme every season for Winter 2017 it’s inspired by Penguin Problems.
- Fiona Hall: Uneasy Seasons NGV (Fri 9 Jun – Sun 8 Oct) – interactive and immersive exhibition for children at NGV International. Full review.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 14 Jun – Wed 30 Aug) -crackling fires, mulled wine and a revolving line-up of roving entertainers and live music, over 30 street vendors and designer and artisan stalls. READ THE REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Gluten Free Food Truck Fest Preston (Fri 9 Jun – Mon 12 Jun) – Find tasty food plus stalls selling a variety of gluten-free products. READ THE REVIEW.
- Meet Sally Rippon and art exhibition (Sat 10 Jun) – Sally be chatting with Leesa (The Little Bookroom) about why POLLY AND BUSTER is such an important book for her. Also an exclusive exhibition of Sally’s original artwork!
- Farmers Market at Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sat 10 Jun) – Shop local and seasonal produce and visit the Collingwood Children’s Farm for only $2 adult entry (kids free). FULL REVIEW.
- Finding Haemo Melbourne Museum (Sat 10 Jun – Sun 11 Jun) – make your own haemoglobin pom-poms and learn about these amazing proteins.
- National Bike Festival Brunswick (Sun 11 Jun) – Join us in celebrating 200 years of the bike. We have lined up a great list of free activities and things to enjoy to keep you, your family and friends entertained throughout the festival.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 11 Jun) – Kids with teddy bears ride free, miniature railway with playground next door. Full review
- Batman Market The Sunday Hall (Sun 11 Jun) – Three celebrated masters of cuisine will be serving up a spread of their fare for a true culturally immersive dining experience.
- Free Felafels Just Falafs (Mon 12 Jun) – Just Falafs will be slinging free classic pitas between 2:30 and 5pm for International Felafel Day.
- University of Melbourne Farmers Market (Wed 14 Jun) – Enjoy the atmosphere of a sunny picnic with the integrity of an accredited farmers’ market!
- Story and a Song Ivanhoe (Wed 14 Jun) – free singing and storytime at social enterprise cafe.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Winter Wine Weekend Mornington Peninsula (Sat 10 Jun – Sun 12 Jun) – Winter Wine Fest and Cellar Door activities and events.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 10 Jun) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Model Expo at Sandown Entertainment Centre (Sat 10 Jun – Mon 12 Jun) – Over 2000+models, up to 30 traders and 20 club and other displays showcasing plastic scale modelling.
- Mornington Railway (Sun 11 Jun) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Queens Birthday Street Party St Kilda (Sun 11 Jun) – Popping up on Fitzroy Street, you can expect to see street performers, musicians, fire twirlers, circus acts and drag queens.
- Young at Art at Mornington Peninsula Art Gallery (Tue 13 Jun) – program for 0-5 year olds. Sing, dance, clap and stomp your feet with Matteo! Do an exciting activity with the Education Coordinator afterwards.
- Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 14 Jun) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Dance X Lilydale (Fri 9 Jun – 30 July) – Chose your own dance adventure in this enthralling exhibition. Travel to unique places within the shire through captivating virtual play spaces.
- Melbourne Tram Museum (Sat 10 Jun) – Visit a Melbourne icon at this quirky museum. FULL REVIEW.
- Mt Baw Baw Opening Weekend (Sat 10 Jun – Mon 11 Jun) – Free BBQ lunch and roving entertainers, giveaways.
- Lake Mountain Family Fun Weekend (Sat 10 Jun – Mon 12 Jun) – Celebrate the opening weekend of the snow season at Lake Mountain Alpine Resort including toboggan races, snow sculpting competitions, face painting, live music, wine tasting and lots more.
- Wine and Wildlife Healesville Sanctuary (Sat 11 Jun – Sun 12 Jun) – local wineries, breweries and a hearty winter menu for you to sample and purchase.
- Belgrave Big Dreams Market (Sun 11 Jun) – discover original and bespoke design pieces, some of the yummiest and freshest produce the area has to offer, live music, bouncy castle and facepainting for the kids.
- Burrinja Kids Stay and Play (Fri 9 Jun – 30 Jul) – free family activity by local artist Renate Crow.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 12 Jun) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- The Cell Newport (Fri 9 Jun – Sat 10 Jun) – interactive art installation at Substation Newport. Full review.
- Jazz Out West (Fri 9 Jun – Sun 11 Jun) – Experience inspired Ethio-jazz stylings, laid-back beats, old-school funk and soul-inflected grooves with these free events in Footscray, Moonee Ponds and Yarraville.
- Seussical Jnr Williamstown (Fri 9 Jun – Sun 11 Jun) – Horton the Elephant, the Cat in the Hat and all of your favourite Dr. Seuss characters spring to life onstage.
- Peter Pan Clocktower Centre (Sat 10 Jun – Sun 11 Jun) – Expect to see mermaids, pirates and even fairies in Melbourne City Youth Ballet’s latest production.
- National Margherita Day Essendon (Sun 11 Jun – Mon 12 Jun) – all of the 400 Gradi restaurants will be putting on a margherita special with a specially designed margherita pizza featuring yellow tomatoes. Even better, $1 from each margherita special, and gelato, goes to the Bully Zero Foundation Australia.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 11 Jun) – circus class for 18 month -5 year olds. READ THE REVIEW.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 11 Jun) – mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights.
- Winter Music in the Valley (Sun 12 Jun) – series of four free classical music concerts held on Sunday afternoons.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 12 Jun) – free creative workshops for kids.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 14 Jun) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW