This week Melbourne starts getting into the winter spirit with a host of cold-weather events for families!
This weekend I will raving at the first Big Fish Little Fish Family Rave (sold out sorry!), speaking on the panel of the first Feminist Family Salon (sold out but join the waitlist and watch the Facebook Live event) and popping up at Highpoint on Monday 5 June with Book Swap Bike. Bring a book to swap, read a book in the pop up reading lawn and make some bookish craft!
- Melbourne Good Food and Wine show (Fri 2 Jun – Sun 4 Jun) – celebrate the best in food and wine.
- Kids Flicks ACMI (Sat 3 Jun – Sun 4 Jun) – smart films for smart kids.
- Animal Extravaganza Harbour Town (Sat 3 Jun – Sun 4 Jun) – free family activities every weekend until 12 June.
- Queen Street Plaza (Sat 3 Jun – Sun 4 Jun) – A place to sit, eat, have a drink and enjoy free family entertainment right in the heart of the city.
- Pirate Sunday at Polly Woodside (Sun 4 Jun) – Dress as a pirate and come help us search for hidden treasure, play tug of war and have your face painted.
- Under 8s Ice Fun at Medibank Icehouse (Sun 4 Jun) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Sunday Family Funday Munich Brauhaus (Sun 4 Jun) – mobile farm experience, face painter, kids’ entertainer and yummy food at Munich Brauhaus.
- ACMI’s Family Sundays (Sun 4 Jun) – day for families to come together and interact with screen culture in all its forms with different theme each month. Full review.
- Slide, Skate and Chill (Fri 2 Jun – Thu 31 Aug) – undercover riverside ice rink and toboggan slide.
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 2 Jun – Sun 22 Oct) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 2 Jun – Tue 6 Jun) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. There’s a new theme every season for Autumn 2017 it’s inspired by Where is the Green Sheep. READ THE REVIEW
- Fiona Hall: Uneasy Seasons NGV (Fri 2 Jun – Sun 8 Oct) – interactive and immersive exhibition for children at NGV International. Full review.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 7 Jun – Wed 30 Aug) -crackling fires, mulled wine and a revolving line-up of roving entertainers and live music, over 30 street vendors and designer and artisan stalls. READ THE REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Fat Chips & Fries Food Truck Fest Preston (Fri 2 Jun – Sun 4 Jun) –The Food Truck Park is cooking up chips and fries or all types for three days. READ THE REVIEW.
- Feminist Family Salon (Sat 3 Jun) – panel discussion about Feminist Parenting with a supervised craft activity for kids.
- Latin Day Preston Market (Sat 3 Jun) – experience the music and dance from countries such as Mexico, Spain & Brazil and enjoy a variety of Latin cuisines and other.
- Bundoora Park Farmers Market (Sat 3 Jun) – fresh produce at Bundoora Park with awesome playground and Bundoora Park Farm.
- Finding Haemo Melbourne Museum (Sat 3 Jun – Sun 4 Jun) – make your own haemoglobin pom-poms and learn about these amazing proteins.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 4 Jun) – miniature railway with playground next door. Full review
- Batman Market The Sunday Hall (Sun 4 Jun) – Three celebrated masters of cuisine will be serving up a spread of their fare for a true culturally immersive dining experience.
- Tread Sculptures Open Day (Sat 3 Jun – Sun 4 Jun) – upcycled sculpture trail showcasing metal art.
- Darebin Homemade Food and Wine Festival (Sat 3 Jun – Sun 4 Jun) – workshops, seminars, demonstrations and special events which will have you exploring culture through food and getting you inspired about all things homemade.
- University of Melbourne Farmers Market (Wed 7 Jun) – Enjoy the atmosphere of a sunny picnic with the integrity of an accredited farmers’ market!
- Story and a Song Ivanhoe (Wed 7 Jun) – free singing and storytime at social enterprise cafe.
- How to Grow a Playspace Book launch (Wed 7 Jun) -practical guide to support play space projects with advice on teams, budgets, community engagement and maintenance.
- Mother Funkers daytime dance party (Thu 8 Jun) – groove along with bubbles, fluorescent & coloured lights.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- National Doughnut Day at Dandee Donuts (Fri 2 Jun) – free hot-jam donuts to shoppers at Dandenong Market.
- Babes to Kids Market Caribbean Gardens (Fri 2 Jun) – new and preloved baby gear, free train rides and face painting.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 3 Jun) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Mornington Railway (Sun 4 Jun) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 7 Jun) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Dance X Lilydale (Fri 2 Jun – 30 July) – Chose your own dance adventure in this enthralling exhibition. Travel to unique places within the shire through captivating virtual play spaces.
- Burrinja Kids Stay and Play (Fri 2 Jun – 30 Jul) – free family activity by local artist Renate Crow.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 4 Jun) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- The Cell Newport (Fri 2 Jun – Sat 10 Jun) – interactive art installation at Substation Newport. Full review.
- Jazz Out West (Fri 2 Jun – Sun 11 Jun) – Experience inspired Ethio-jazz stylings, laid-back beats, old-school funk and soul-inflected grooves with these free events in Footscray, Moonee Ponds and Yarraville.
- Enterprize Sail Geelong (Sat 3 Jun -Sun 4 Jun) – 1 hour sail on tall ship Enterprize comes to Geelong.
- Seddon Makers Market (Sat 3 Jun) – market celebrates and showcases Inner west local makers and beyond.
- Winter Dance for Kids Footscray (Sat 3 Jun) – energetic and entertaining Winter Dance for kids of ALL ages with The Footscray Gypsies and Kylie Cooper.
- Discover Footscray tours (Sat 3 Jun) – free art, history and food walking tours of Footscray.
- Art Sauce for Kids Laverton (Sat 3 Jun) – free art and creative workshops with Little Art Big Art. READ THE REVIEW.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 3 Jun) – circus class for 18 month -5 year olds. READ THE REVIEW.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 3 Jun) – mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights.
- Winter Music in the Valley (Sun 4 Jun) – series of four free classical music concerts held on Sunday afternoons.
- Bulla Hill Railway (Sun 4 Jun) – Every 1st and 3rd Sunday the ride this the dinosaur trail on the miniature railway. FULL REVIEW
- Little Kids Day In Scienceworks (Mon 5 Jun) – Jump and clap and dance the day away with all kinds of active play experiences and performances at Little Kids’ Day In, exploring healthy living and nutrition in partnership with Playgroup Victoria and Kinderling Kids Radio.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 5 Jun) – free creative workshops for kids with Book Swap Bike.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 7 Jun) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW