After a long weekend in Gippsland (see updated post here on things to do with kids in Gippsland) we’re doing a rapid downhill countdown to school holidays! Check out what’s happening in Melbourne CBD and Melbourne suburbs for the winter hols so you can start planning your fun.
This week we’re going to hang out at the Williamstown Literary Festival and there are Winter Solstice celebrations happening across the city.
Have a great week!
- Truffle Melbourne (Sat 17 June – Sun 18 Jun) – cooking demonstrations, celebrity chef appearances, food stalls, visits from the truffle hunting dogs, live entertainment.
- Queen Street Plaza (Sat 17 Jun – Sun 18 Jun) – A place to sit, eat, have a drink and enjoy free family entertainment right in the heart of the city.
- NGV Unplugged Live (Sun 18 Jun) – Each Sunday afternoon for six weeks, Jae Laffer (The Panics) will host a session in the exhibition space with a live performance by local musicians.
- Under 8s Ice Fun at Medibank Icehouse (Sun 18 Jun) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Sunday Family Funday Munich Brauhaus (Sun 18 Jun) – mobile farm experience, face painter, kids’ entertainer and yummy food at Munich Brauhaus.
- Melbourne International Animation Festival ACMI (Sun 18 Jun – Sun 25 Jun) – animation programs to inspire, delight and challenge.
- Slide, Skate and Chill (Fri 16 Jun – Thu 31 Aug) – undercover riverside ice rink and toboggan slide. Full review.
- Aladdin the Musical (Fri 16 Jun – Sun 22 Oct) – Disney film turned into lavish musical. Read the review.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 16 Jun – 5 Sep) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. There’s a new theme every season for Winter 2017 it’s inspired by Penguin Problems.
- Fiona Hall: Uneasy Seasons NGV (Fri 16 Jun – Sun 8 Oct) – interactive and immersive exhibition for children at NGV International. Full review.
- World Refugee Day Immigration Museum (Tue 20 Jun) – admission to the Immigration Museum will be free to mark World Refugee Day.
- Winter Solstice Light Show (Tue 20 Jun – Sun 25 Jun) – For five evenings in winter, Melbourne’s newest icon – 888 Collins Street – will come to life in a spectacular festive light display in celebration of Winter Solstice.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 21 Jun – Wed 30 Aug) -crackling fires, mulled wine and a revolving line-up of roving entertainers and live music, over 30 street vendors and designer and artisan stalls. READ THE REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Winter Solstice Festival Eltham (Sat 17 Jun) – Live music, delicious food, a wonderful kids’ lantern parade, mulled wine, fire entertainers and an enormous, sculptural bonfire.
- WHY: Walton Harold Young Winter laneway market (Sat 17 Jun) – Grab yourself a bargain at our preloved goods market.
- Winter Solstice Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sat 17 Jun) – bonfire, lanterns, activities.
- Finding Haemo Melbourne Museum (Sat 17 Jun – Sun 18 Jun) – make your own haemoglobin pom-poms and learn about these amazing proteins.
- Sounds of Bali (Sun 18 Jun) – Gamelan DanAnda studio will open its doors for a day of traditional music performances and hands-on workshops for all ages.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 18 Jun) – miniature railway with playground next door. Full review
- Batman Market The Sunday Hall (Sun 18 Jun) – Three celebrated masters of cuisine will be serving up a spread of their fare for a true culturally immersive dining experience.
- University of Melbourne Farmers Market (Wed 21 Jun) – Enjoy the atmosphere of a sunny picnic with the integrity of an accredited farmers’ market!
- Story and a Song Ivanhoe (Wed 21 Jun) – free singing and storytime at social enterprise cafe.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
NICA Circus Showcase (Thu 15 Jun – Sat 24 Jun) – The phenomenal imagination, athleticism and humour of Australia’s next generation of circus talents will be on show when NICA presents Circosis: Left Brain, Right Brain.
MAP 57 St Kilda (Thu 15 Jun – Sun 30 Jul) – St Kilda’s favourite “triangle” will be converted into a glittering entertainment venue this winter, playing host to a pop up ice rink, comedy, theatre, music, food stalls, carnival rides and more.
Very Special Kids Fashion Sale (Sat 17 Jun) – Clothing from top designers will have up to 90 per cent off the retail price. Entry is by gold coin donation with proceeds going to Very Special Kids to help support families caring for children with life-threatening conditions.
Mornington Railway (Sun 17 Jun) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
Fairy Petunia South Melbourne Market (Wed 21 Jun) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Matteo the Storyteller Realm (Fri 16 Jun) – Matteo the Storyteller will create a magical world for children in ArtSpace at Realm using music, mime and humour.
- Warburton Film Festival (Fri 16 Jun – Sun 18 Jun) – This film festival is in its 34th year and is a fantastic opportunity to be exposed to smaller, genre-breaking films.
- Little Bugs, Super Powers Eastland (Sun 18 Jun) – Inspired by the secret life of bugs and their genius ways, Bug Lab: Little Bugs, Super Powers by Melbourne Museum immerses audiences of all ages in a journey to zoom in on the world beneath your feet!
- Box Hill Miniature Railway (Sun 18 Jun) – Every 3rd Sunday the ride this wonderful Miniature Railway, the track winds through the picturesque surrounds of Elgar Park. FULL REVIEW.
- Dance X Lilydale (Fri 16 Jun – 30 July) – Chose your own dance adventure in this enthralling exhibition. Travel to unique places within the shire through captivating virtual play spaces.
- Burrinja Kids Stay and Play (Fri 16 Jun – 30 Jul) – free family activity by local artist Renate Crow.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 17 Jun) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- Williamstown Literature Festival (Sat 17 Jun – Sun 18 Jun) – speakers and panel discussions for avid (and even occasional) readers as well as workshops for budding writers, activities for kids, music
- Enterprize Sail Williamstown (Sat 17 Jun – Sun 18 Jun) – 1 hour sail on tall ship Enterprize comes to Williamstown.
- Seussical Jnr Williamstown (Fri 16 Jun – Sun 25 Jun) – Horton the Elephant, the Cat in the Hat and all of your favourite Dr. Seuss characters spring to life onstage.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 17 Jun) – circus class for 18 month -5 year olds. READ THE REVIEW.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 17 Jun) – mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights.
- Footscray Finds (Sun 18 Jun) – unique, boutique and handmade monthly at Footscray Library’s Carpark, Paisley Street, Footscray.
- Kensington Market (Sun 18 Jun) – monthly boutique market offers an eclectic mix of fresh produce, designer fashion, jewellery and visual art creations, vintage, retro and antiques, all set in a vibrant environment filled with live music, great coffee and delicious foods.
- Bulla Hill Railway (Sun 18 Jun) – Every 1st and 3rd Sunday the ride this the dinosaur trail on the miniature railway.
- Altona Miniature Railway (Sun 18 Jun) – Every 3rd Sunday the ride this wonderful Miniature Railway, the track winds through the picturesque surrounds of Elgar Park. FULL REVIEW.
- Madagascar Member Party (Sun 18 Jun) – fun and free day of games, crafts, entertainment, music and much more at Werribee Open Range Zoo, exclusive for Zoos Victoria members.
- Winter Music in the Valley (Sun 18 Jun) – series of four free classical music concerts held on Sunday afternoons.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 19 Jun) – free creative workshops for kids.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 21 Jun) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW