First weekend back at school and the calendar is jam-packed with fun (including the last weekend of Nature Play Week events). Plus of course ANZAC Day is Tuesday 25 April, find the list of all the ANZAC Day services happening in Melbourne.
Note on ANZAC Day and many shops, cafes and public institutions eg libraries will be closed, at least in the morning. The museums (Melbourne Museum, Scienceworks, Immigration Museum), zoos (Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary, Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium) and galleries (NGV Australia and NGV International) will all be open.
- Melbourne International Comedy Festival (Fri 21 Apr – Sun 23 Apr) – comedy events for kids.
- The Very Big Laugh Out Loud at Federation Square (Fri 21 Apr – Sun 23 Apr) – Get a belly full of laughs at Fed Square with the Melbourne International Comedy Festival.
- Smurfs High Tea The Langham (Fri 21 Apr – Tue 25 Apr) – school holiday high tea especially for teens (but kids can still go!).
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 21 Apr – Wed 31 May) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. There’s a new theme every season for Autumn 2017 it’s inspired by Where is the Green Sheep. READ THE REVIEW
- Fiona Hall: Uneasy Seasons NGV (Fri 14 Apr – Sun 6 Jun) – new interactive and immersive exhibition for children at NGV International. Full review.
- Paella Festival Queen Victoria Market (Sat 22 Apr – Sun 23 Apr) – celebration of Spanish food and culture and 57th Concurs Internacional de Paella Valenciana – Pacific Semi Finals.
- Kids Flicks ACMI (Sat 22 Apr – Sun 23 Apr) – smart films for smart kids.
- Queen Street Plaza Queen Victoria Market (Sat 22 Apr – Sun 23 Apr) – it, eat, have a drink and enjoy free family entertainment right in the heart of the Market.
- Sunday Family Funday Munich Brauhaus (Sun 23 Apr) – mobile farm experience, face painter, kids’ entertainer and yummy food at Munich Brauhaus.
- NGV Car Wash (Fri 3 Mar – April 2017) – enjoy a neon pink installation in the sculpture garden inspired by a car wash. FULL REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH EAST
- Vegan and Vegetarian Food Truck Festival (Fri 21 Apr – Sun 23 Apr) – showcasing the best in meat-free and plant-based street food!
- Watsonia Pop Up Park (Fri 21 Apr – Sun 23 Apr) – relax on the grass, grab a book from the free outdoor street library or pop in to one of the free activities or events happening in April.
- Brickman Melbourne Museum (Fri 21 Apr – 7 May) – 50 awe-inspiring models on display at the ‘Wonders of the World’ exhibition. Full review.
- Children’s Literature Festival Fitzroy (Sat 22 Apr) – panel discussions, workshops, Story Peddler tent and publisher/bookseller showcase.
- Pascoe Vale in the Park (Sat 22 Apr) – live music, community groups, face painting, jumping castle.
- Slow Food Farmers Market (Sat 22 Apr) – accredited farmers market at Abbotsford Convent. Visit the family-friendly Farm Cafe and the Collingwood Children’s Farm next door.
- Coburg Farmers Market (Sat 22 Apr) – accredited farmers market at Coburg North primary school. Visit Harmony Park next door.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 23 Mar) – miniature railway with playground next door. Full review
- Story and a Song Ivanhoe (Wed 26 Apr) – free singing and storytime at social enterprise cafe.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Nature Play Day (Fri 21 April) – free activities offered in the Children’s Garden and across the wider Melbourne Gardens.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 22 Apr) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Who lays eggs? Egg hunt with a difference (Sat 22 Apr) – Kids wander around looking for egg carton stations and each egg carton has a picture of an animal on it. They decide if that animal lays eggs. BYO picnic afterwards.
- Fairy Petunia at South Melbourne Market (Wed 26 Apr) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Teddy Bear’s Picnic Springvale (Wed 26 Apr) – Join us for a special Teddy Bear’s Picnic in the open woodland of Alex Wilkie Nature Reserve.
- Lillydale Lake Playspace Opening Week (Thu 20 Apr – Sun 23 Apr) – free workshops, storytime and concerts to celebrate opening of Lillydale Lake Playspace. Full review.
- Melbourne Tram Museum (Sat 22 Apr) – Visit a Melbourne icon at this quirky museum. FULL REVIEW.
- Wild Families Launch Event (Sun 23 Apr) – Is your family a little bit wild? The Victorian National Parks Association is ready to launch the Wild Families program.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 23 Apr) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill. Full review.
- 5 Rhythms Dance Footscray (Fri 21 Apr) – drop-in music and dance class for under 5s.
- Little Red Train Werribee (Fri 21 Apr – Sun 23 Apr) – Explore Werribee Park via miniature train. Full review.
- Yarraville Gardens Food Trucks (Sat 22 Apr) – Trucks are back to the Gardens, with over 10 trucks will dish out Melbourne’s finest street food.
- Kids Craft Woodgrove Melton (Sat 22 Apr) – Children will embellish their salt and pepper shakers with colourful paints and glitter.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 22 Apr) – circus class for 18 month -5 year olds. READ THE REVIEW.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 22 Apr) – Essendon Traffic School is a mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights.
- Kids Mini Herb Terrariums Woodgrove Melton (Sun 23 Apr) – learn how to create your own miniature herb garden which will stay green all year long!
- Newport Lakes Bush Kids (Sun 23 Apr) – Multi aged nature based playgroup encouraging getting dirty, muddy and playing outside in all weather conditions.
- Master Mind Highpoint (Mon 24 Apr) – free creative workshops for kids.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 26 Apr) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW.