Halfway through March and so many fun things to do this week! Mark your diaries for next weekend too when I’ll be leading family-friendly bike rides as part of WOW Women of the World Festival and getting crafty at the West Footscray Festival of Colours.
CBD / Docklands
- Invisible Light Garden Artplay (Fri 17 Mar – Sun 26 Mar) – Discover the interaction between digital imagery and physical action in this interactive art installation. Full review.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 17 Mar – 31 May) – free play space inspired by Where is the Green Sheep. Full review.
- NGV Car Wash (Fri 17 Mar – April 2017) – enjoy a neon pink installation in the sculpture garden inspired by a car wash. FULL REVIEW.
- Family Footy Fun Zone Queen Victoria Market (Sat 18 Mar – Sun 19 Mar) – Every Saturday and Sunday until Easter the Vic Market’s A Shed near Victoria Street will be transformed into a footy extravaganza with inflatable kicking goals, a specky-marking zone, handball challenges, footy arts and crafts and more.
- Harmony Day African Drumming Storytime (Tue 21 Mar) – This workshop, for pre-school children, will include drumming, dancing and singing.
- Queen Victoria Night Market (Wed 22 Mar) – Eat and drink your way around the world one dish at a time with more than 50 street food traders cooking up a global feast plus specialty shopping and entertainment.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Middle East Food Preston Food Truck Park (Fri 16 Mar – Sun 18 Mar) -dancers, henna artists, Indian music and classic bollywood flicks.
- Batman Market (Sat 17 Mar) – food trucks, free entertainment, jumping castle every Saturday until April. FULL REVIEW.
- Brunswick Music Festival (Fri 17 Mar – Sun 19 Mar) – A free and ticketed program of scorching genre-straddling performances and experiences comes courtesy of both top-shelf artists from all around the world and our own extraordinary known-and-loved local artists and record labels.
- Collingwood Toy Library Messy Play Day (Sat 18 Mar) – messy play. music, face painting, sausage sizzle.
- Twilight Sounds Warringal Parklands (Sat 18 Mar) – Twilight Sounds is Banyule’s flagship music event – a fantastic evening of local and popular Australian musicians playing in the relaxing natural environment of Sills Bend in Heidelberg.
- Melbourne Tomato Festival (Sun 19 Mar) – produce, speakers, agriculturalists, cooking demonstrations, Italian food, artisan producers, special guests, history, workshops, entertainment and of course passata making.
- Arty Farty Fest in Heidelberg (Sun 19 Mar) – awesome activities and performances.
- Livvi’s Place Opening Party Cragieburn (Sun 19 Mar) – celebrate Hume’s newest inclusive community playspace.
- Portrait with a Pony The Little Bookroom (Thu 23 Mar) – a portrait of your child on a pony, in a bookshop, to raise money for the The Indigenous Literacy Foundation.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Berwick Food Truck Carnival (Thu 16 Mar – Sun 19 Mar) – Travelling carnival featuring food trucks with fully licensed bars and entertainment.
- Burrinja Kids Stay and Play (Fri 17 Mar – 31 Mar) – free family activity by local studio artist Andrea Innocent.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 18 Mar) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Flavours Prahran (Sat 18 Mar) – Celebrate Stonnington’s cultural diversity through tastes, sights and sounds. Be invigorated and inspired by market stalls, cooking demonstrations, entertainment and children’s activities in this fun day for family and friends.
- In One Voice Elsternwick (Sun 19 Mar) – Jewish street festival with music, food, kids zone.
- Gnome and Fairy Festival Mordialloc (Sun 19 Mar) – jumping castle and games, music, entertainment, snacks, stall.
- Sandsculpting Frankston Waterfront (Fri 17 Mar – Tue 25 Apr) -Twenty sculptors carve out themed sculptures from the sand.
- Heide Pop Up Cinema (Fri 17 Mar) – pre-movie entertainment including pop up park games play for all the family and free screening of Babe.
- The Cat in the Hat Eastland (Sun 19 Mar) – craft activities, story time and plenty of photo opportunities. Plus 20% off all Dr Seuss books on the day.
- Box Hill Miniature Railway (Sun 19 Mar) – Every third Sunday of the month public rides on the mini steam and diesel engines Read the review.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 19 Mar) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 19 Mar) – miniature railway with playground next door. Full review
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 18 Mar) – learn circus skills with aerials, balances, circus circuits and games. READ THE REVIEW.
- Little Art Big Art Laverton (Sat 18 Mar) – free creative art workshops for kids. Full review.
- Altona Gate craft workshops (Sat 18 Mar – Sun 19 Mar) – free craft workshops every weekend in March.
- Little River Country Fair (Sun 19 Mar) – fundraising event for the students at Little River Primary School .
- Weerama Festival Wyndham (Sun 19 Mar – Sun 20 Mar) – Weerama street parade, fireworks, amusements, entertainment.
- Altona Miniature Railway (Sun 19 Mar) – Every third Sunday of the month the Altona Miniature Railway is opened to members of the public and members take kids and adults on rides on the mini steam and diesel engines Read the review.
- Bulla Hill Railway (Sun 19 Mar) – Every 1st and 3rd Sunday the ride this the dinosaur trail on the miniature railway. FULL REVIEW
- Kensington Market (Sun 19 Mar) – monthly market showcase of talented local artisans and crafters.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 20 Mar) – fully supervised and free program offering exciting activities for kids every Monday.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 22 Mar) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW.
- Highpoint Shopping Day (Wed 22 Mar) – exclusive one-day offers and special events including a giant dress up box for kids.
- Children’s Multicultual Picnic Brimbank Park (Wed 22 Mar) – Bicultural playgroup leaders and their cultural communities will be invited to lead children’s cultural games, activities and songs. An Indigenous educator will also lead Indigenous activities and dance.