Hello long weekend! There’s Moomba and lots of other fun for families in Melbourne this weekend.
CBD / Docklands
- Sweet Lane Festival (Thu 9 Mar – Mon 13 Mar) – Indulge in sweet delights, Melbourne’s favourite food trucks, daily DJ’s, cooking demonstrations plus the Hot Wheels Immersive Zone.
- Moomba Festival (Fri 10 Mar – Mon 13 Mar) – Moomba celebrates Melbourne’s appetite for discovery with a bustling carnival and a family-friendly program of free entertainment for all ages.
- Fun Run Flash Mob Workshop (Fri 10 Mar – Sat 11 Mar) – New mass participatory art event. Learn the moves at one of our free public workshops and become the Athenian Dancing Army!
- Moomba Parade Design Exhibition and Workshop (Fri 10 Mar – Mon 13 Mar) – see this years designs, check out mini models of past Moomba parade floats and take a selfie on the Moomba royal throne!design your own Moomba float and enter your ideas for consideration in the 2018 parade!
- Invisible Light Garden Artplay (Fri 10 Mar – Sun 26 Mar) – Discover the interaction between digital imagery and physical action in this interactive art installation. Full review.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 10 Mar – 31 May) – free play space inspired by Where is the Green Sheep. Full review.
- NGV Car Wash (Fri 10 Mar – April 2017) – enjoy a neon pink installation in the sculpture garden inspired by a car wash. FULL REVIEW.
- Family Footy Fun Zone Queen Victoria Market (Sat 11 Mar – Sun 12 Mar) – Every Saturday and Sunday until Easter the Vic Market’s A Shed near Victoria Street will be transformed into a footy extravaganza with inflatable kicking goals, a specky-marking zone, handball challenges, footy arts and crafts and more.
- Turkish Pazar Festival at Queen Victoria Market (Sat 11 Mar – Sun 123 Mar) – The Turkish Pazar Festival recreates a traditional Turkish bazaar.
- Queen Victoria Night Market (Wed 15 Mar) – Eat and drink your way around the world one dish at a time with more than 50 street food traders cooking up a global feast plus specialty shopping and entertainment.
- Get the Picture with Gabriel Evans (Thu 16 Mar) – Gabriel Evans will reveal some trade secrets, share his experiences from years in the business and put creative kids to work!
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Asian Street Food Preston Food Truck Park (Fri 10 Mar – Sun 12 Mar) -dancers, henna artists, Indian music and classic bollywood flicks.
- Farmers Market at Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sat 11 Mar) – Shop local and seasonal produce and visit the Collingwood Children’s Farm for only $2 adult entry (kids free). FULL REVIEW.
- Batman Market (Sat 11 Mar) – food trucks, free entertainment, jumping castle every Saturday until April. FULL REVIEW.
- Brunswick Flea Market (Sun 12 Mar) – New and vintage furniture, household items and clothing.
- Brunswick Music Festival (Fri 10 Mar – Sun 19 Mar) – A free and ticketed program of scorching genre-straddling performances and experiences comes courtesy of both top-shelf artists from all around the world and our own extraordinary known-and-loved local artists and record labels.
- Preston Market Indian Festival (Thu 16 Mar) – food stalls, live music, DJs, dancing and people playing with fire.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Bayside Food Truck Fiesta St Kilda (Thu 9 Mar – Mon 13 Mar) – Over 30 of Melbournes finest food trucks will be on rotation, children’s activities and rides.
- Burrinja Kids Stay and Play (Fri 10 Mar – 31 Mar) – free family activity by local studio artist Andrea Innocent.
- Port Phillip Mussel Festival (Sat 11 Mar – Sun 12 Mar) – jazz, fun and mussels galore. Come to dance, bring the family, eat and drink, and be with friends.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 11 Mar) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park. On Mon 13 Mar they are holding their Burger Biannual.
- Purim at Jewish Museum (Sun 12 Mar) – music, dancing, art activities, baking and more! Enjoy free access to all exhibition spaces and enriching activities, suitable for ages 0-10 years.
- Purim Carnival (Sun 12 Mar) – entertainment, dress up parade, face painting, carnival games, craft activites, sausage sizzle.
- Purim Festival Caulfield (Sun 12 Mar) – unlimited food, rides, entertainment.
- Sandown Train & Hobby Show (Sat 11 Mar – Mon 13 Mar) – One of Australia’s largest model railway exhibitions.
- Scoresby Steamfest (Sat 11 Mar – Mon 13 Mar) – train rides, playing with the model train set, watching the diggers at work and seeing all the machinery in action.
- Donut and Beer Festival (Sun 12 Mar – Mon 13 Mar) – creating a fun food culture, supporting local businesses and bring the community together to celebrate all things donut.
- Clayton Street Festival (Sun 12 Mar) – colour, fun and activities for people of all ages plus Hawkers Market.
- Monash Summer Fiesta (Mon 13 Mar) – Staff, students and the wider Monash community are invited to experience Clayton campus at twilight with a variety of food, carnival rides, an arts and culture precinct and a fun zone.
- Sandsculpting Frankston Waterfront (Fri 10 Mar – Tue 25 Apr) -Twenty sculptors carve out themed sculptures from the sand.
- Yarra Street Food Fest (Fri 10 Mar – Sun 12 Mar) – music, food trucks, Mountain Goat bar.
- Play School Live in Concert Ringwood (Sat 11 Mar) – concert features songs, games and stories, presented by two Play School presenters, along with the real stars of the show the toys.
- Melbourne Tram Museum (Sat 11 Mar) – Visit a Melbourne icon at this quirky museum. FULL REVIEW.
- Heide Makers Market (Sat 11 Mar) – eclectic mix of art, design and handcrafted goods.
- Belgrave Big Dreams Market (Sun 12 Mar) – discover original and bespoke design pieces, some of the yummiest and freshest produce the area has to offer, live music, bouncy castle and facepainting for the kids.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 12 Mar) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill.
- Diamond Valley Railway (Sun 12 Mar) – miniature railway with playground next door. Full review
- Heide Art Bubs (Wed 15 Mar) – An interactive guided tour for parents and carers with toddlers (18 months – 5 years). Includes a delicious morning tea from Café Heide, drawing, and other art activities for the kids.
- 5 Rhythms Dance Footscray (Fri 10 Mar) – drop-in music and dance class for under 5s. READ THE REVIEW.
- Moonee Valley Food Truck Carnival (Fri 10 Mar – Mon 13 Mar) – food, drink and entertainment
- Wyndham Green Living Series (Fri 10 Mar – Sun 31 Mar) – free events, tours, workshops around green living.
- Little Red Train Werribee (Fri 10 Mar – Sun 12 Mar) – Explore Werribee Park via miniature train. Full review.
- Pako Market Geelong (Sat 11 Mar) – selection of hand made wonders from local and other makers.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 11 Mar) – learn circus skills with aerials, balances, circus circuits and games. READ THE REVIEW.
- Holi Fest Werribee (Sat 11 Mar) – local DJs and unlimited colours.
- Altona Gate craft workshops (Sat 11 Mar – Sun 12 Mar) – free craft workshops every weekend in March.
- International Day of Planetaria Scienceworks (Sun 12 Mar) – Discover the wonder of the cosmos and learn about the galaxy at Melbourne Planetarium.
- Wynham Holi (Sun 12 Mar) – Dancing, Playing with Colors, Taste Delicious Foods, Kids Rides, Games.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 13 Mar) – fully supervised and free program offering exciting activities for kids every Monday.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 15 Mar) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW.
- Piccadilly Market Twilight (Thu 16 Mar) – enjoy cocktails on the deck, wine tasting, cool tunes, food trucks and croquet on the lawn as well as a fantastic selection of market stall holders.