Every school holidays I try to give myself a challenge – how many free events can I book?
Inevitably there are always cool events and activities that we decide to pay for – but you CAN entertain the kids on a tight budget during school holidays.
Here’s a list of my Top 10 free school holiday events for Autumn.
- Federation Square (Mon 3 Apr – Sun 23 Apr) – experiment in collective art-making with the LOL roll, free outdoor cinema, stargazing live.
- ACMI Family Sunday (Sun 2 Apr) – If you want to become the next YouTube sensation we’ve got the tools to get you started.
- ArtPlay Backyard (Sat 1 Apr – Wed 12 Apr) – Drop in creative play at Artplay.
- Wheeler Kids (Tue 4 Apr – Wed 12 Apr) – literary kid-friendly events. Also check out the book readings, launches and bookish activities at The Little Bookroom.
- Melbourne Library Service (Mon 3 Apr – Thu 13 Apr) – classes, workshops performances and stories. In addition don’t forget your local library service will often hold free school holidays events (they’re too numerous to note here).
- Queen Victoria Market (Sat 1 Apr – Sun 16 Apr) – Family Footy Zone and seasonal cooking, drawing and craft activities.
- Dandenong Market (Sat 1 Apr – Sun 16 Apr) – kids craft workshops.
- Sky High Dandenong (Mon 3 Apr – Sun 16 Apr) – Pony Rides; Face Painting; Games and Music with the rainbow fairy; Nine hole mini golf; Reptile display; creative magic; train rides; CFA Badge-making and Demonstrations, treasure hunts. Note all the activities are free of charge but the gate fee of $6 per car still applies.
- Mastermind Highpoint (Mon 3 Apr – Mon 17 Apr) – creative workshops for kids including Book Swap Bike.
- Easter Family Fun with Free Egg Hunt at Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie (Fri 14 Apr – Mon 17 Apr) – free chocolate tastings and Easter egg hunts. Also happening at Yarra Valley Chocolaterie.
Also check out the following lists for free inspiration:
- Melbourne’s best shaded playgrounds;
- Where to find free water play;
- Melbourne’s best libraries; and
- Best playgrounds for older kids.