School holidays are over but there’s still heaps to explore in the city! Here’s this week’s list of what’s on in Melbourne for families.
CBD / Docklands
- Victoria Harbour Pop Up Cinema (Fri 3 Feb) -free open-air cinema, Park Cinema, will be popping up at Victoria Harbour’s Buluk Park. Over three Friday night’s people will be able to watch old school favourites – The Wedding Singer, Back to the Future and The Dish
- Invisible Light Garden Artplay (Wed 8 Feb – Sun 26 Mar) – Discover the interaction between digital imagery and physical action in this interactive art installation.
- Artplay workshops (Thu 2 Feb – Thu 9 Feb) – changing timetable of art workshops for kids.
- Hawkers Bazaar Crown (Fri 3 Feb – Sun 5 Feb) – To celebrate the Year of the Rooster, more than 60 stalls along the riverside at Crown will feature a series of activities and entertainment.
- Lunar New Year at Crown (Fri 3 Feb – Sun 12 Feb) – Visit the Lunar New Year display at The Atrium at Crown Towers, showcasing a stunning fire rooster.
- QV Outdoor Cinema (Fri 3 Feb – Sun 26 Feb) – live entertainment, free cocktails, special food, red carpets, instafamous dogs, charity screenings, a film festival and more.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 3 Feb – Tue 28 Feb) – free play space inspired by Herman and Rosie. Full review.
- Sustainable Living Festival (Sat 4 Feb – Tue 28 Feb) – Earth-lovin’ activities including workshops, DIY-days, pop-ups and markets in both central and outer Melbourne.
- Viktor & Rolf For Kids NGV (Fri 3 Feb – Sun 26 Feb) – interactive children’s gallery exhibition developed by designers Viktor & Rolf. FULL REVIEW.
- NGV Car Wash (Fri 3 Feb – April 2017) – enjoy a neon pink installation in the sculpture garden inspired by a car wash. FULL REVIEW.
- Queen Victoria Night Market (Wed 8 Feb) – Eat and drink your way around the world one dish at a time with more than 50 street food traders cooking up a global feast plus specialty shopping and entertainment.
- Pirate Sunday Polly Woodside (Sun 5 Feb) – Dress as a pirate and come help us search for hidden treasure, play tug of war and have your face painted.
- Bolte Beach and Pooch Party (Sun 5 Feb) – Spend the summer’s day with a hit of table tennis, a rickshaw riverside ride or get involved with the many beach games and prizes on offer. Don’t forget to also stop by Woofy’s gourmet taco truck for a bite to eat.
- NGV Summer Sundays (Sun 5 Feb) – free family friendly concerts in the NGV Sculpture Garden.
- Melbourne Tennis Week (Mon 6 Feb – Sun 12 Feb) – free events and activities taking place in various City of Melbourne tennis clubs.
- Summer Pirate Adventure Harbour Town (Sat 4 Feb – Sun 5 Feb) – Neverland Adventure Experience and Pirate Craft Village. Full review.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Twilight Supper Market Abbotsford Convent (Fri 3 Feb) – live music, children’s activities and food every Friday night until 24 Feb.
- Taco & Tequila Fiesta Preston Food Truck Park (Fri 3 Feb – Sun 5 Feb) – best in street cuisine from Brazil to Cuba and a Tequila Pop-Up.
- Zoo Twilights (Fri 3 Feb – 11 Mar) – concert series provides the perfect summer night of entertainment for all ages across Friday and Saturday evenings until 11 Mar.
- Lunar New Year Melbourne Zoo (Fri 3 Feb – Sun 12 Feb) – special Lunar New Year activities with gorgeous displays of lanterns and decorations.
- Bundoora Park Farmers Market (Sat 4 Feb) – fresh produce at Bundoora Park with awesome playground and Bundoora Park Farm.
- Batman Market (Sat 4 Feb) – food trucks, free entertainment, jumping castle every Saturday until 25 Feb. FULL REVIEW.
- Preston Food Truck Park (Fri 25 Nov – Sun 27 Nov) – Finally you can have chocolate, churros, donuts, ice-cream, waffles, crepes, vegan baked goods plus pretty much every other sweet fantasy all one place.
- Fairfield Summer Series (Sun 5 Feb) – exotic sounds, amazing circus and cultural dance from around the globe every Sun until 26 Feb.
- Melbourne Tennis Week (Mon 6 Feb – Sun 12 Feb) – free events and activities taking place in various Moreland tennis clubs.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 4 Feb) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Elwood Community Market (Sat 4 Feb) – trash and treasure, plants, clothes, jewellery, pastries fruit & veg and other eclectic and unique surprises. A jumping castle, animal farm, ice-cream van and an ever growing variety of fun and games to keep the children amused.
- Como House Tours (Sat 4 Feb – Sun 5 Feb) – A Como house tour offers a glimpse into the privileged lifestyle of former owners, the Armytage family, who lived there for nearly a century.
- South Melbourne Night Market (Thu 2 Feb) – street food, copious stalls, eclectic entertainment and music every Thursday night until 23 Feb. Full review.
- Sandsculpting Frankston Waterfront (Fri 3 Feb – Tue 25 Apr) -Twenty sculptors carve out themed sculptures from the sand.
- Summer Sessions Rippon Lea (Sun 5 Feb) – Spend Sunday afternoons trying your hand at croquet, bocce or quoits, listening to live music or simply pulling up a rug on the shady lawn of Rippon Lea every Sunday until 12 March.
- Glen Waverley Lunar New Year Festival (Sun 5 Feb) – Lion Dance, Firecrackers, Traditional Folk Music, Dancers, Martial Artists and much more.
- Melbourne Tennis Week (Mon 6 Feb – Sun 12 Feb) – free events and activities taking place in various Port Phillip and Stonnington tennis clubs.
- Summer Music Booroondarra (Sat 4 Feb) – series for music lovers of all ages in Booroondara’s parks every Sat until 18 Feb.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 5 Feb) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill.
- Lunar New Year Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 3 Feb – Sun 12 Feb) – special Lunar New Year activities with gorgeous displays of lanterns and decorations.
- Ice Cream Festival Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Wed 8 Feb – Sun 19 Feb) – 144 special flavours of ice cream with tastings. Full review.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Thu 2 Feb, Sat 4 Feb) – learn circus skills with aerials, balances, circus circuits and games. READ THE REVIEW.
- 5 Rhythms Dance Footscray (Fri 11 Nov) – drop-in music and dance class for under 5s. READ THE REVIEW.
- Lunar New Year Werribee Zoo (Fri 3 Feb – Sun 12 Feb) – special Lunar New Year activities with gorgeous displays of lanterns and decorations.
- Little Red Train Werribee (Fri 3 Feb – Sun 5 Feb) – Explore Werribee Park via miniature train. Full review.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 4 Feb) – Essendon Traffic School is a mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights.
- Tet Festival (Sat 4 Feb – Sun 5 Feb) – traditional and contemporary foods, live entertainment, a variety of free activities and exhibitions, as well as a wide range of games and amusement rides.
- Barbecue Festival (Sat 4 Feb – Sun 5 Feb) – barbecue food stalls including some of Melbourne’s finest pitmasters, barbecue cooking demonstrations by local and international barbecue experts and live entertainment.
- Rhythm of Africa Werribee Open Range Zoo (Sat 4 Feb) – live music, African-inspired food, dancing, drumming and kids’ activities. READ THE REVIEW.
- Movies by the Bay Williamstown (Sat 4 Feb) – Enjoy great films under the stars at this popular free family event series.
- Bulla Hill Railway (Sun 5 Feb) – Every 1st and 3rd Sunday the ride this the dinosaur trail on the miniature railway. FULL REVIEW
- Little Kids Day In at Scienceworks (Mon 6 Feb) – fun day especially for kids aged under 6 years, their parents and carers, with special programs and no school groups. Full review.
- The Colour Club Highpoint (Mon 6 Feb) – fully supervised and free program offering exciting activities for kids every Monday.
- Melbourne Tennis Week (Mon 6 Feb – Sun 12 Feb) – free events and activities taking place in various Maribyrnong, Hobsons Bay and Moonee Valley tennis clubs.
- Playtime at Wyndham Village (Tue 7 Feb) – every Tuesday from 10am to 11.30am, activities are set up for children and their families to enjoy together, with the support of Early Childhood Educators.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 8 Feb) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW.
- Ice Cream Festival Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie (Wed 8 Feb – Sun 19 Feb) – 144 special flavours of ice cream with tastings. Full review.