I look forward to the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival every year as it’s an opportunity to share, learn and eat with Melbourne’s community of committed foodies and my family!
Here are my picks for the bestMelbourne Food and Wine Festival 2017 events for kids and families. This year’s festival runs from Friday 31 March to Sunday 9 April.
CBD / DOCKLANDS
- Little Foodies (Fri 31 Mar – Sun 2 Apr) – With interactive produce patches, kids can pick, smell and taste seasonal produce straight from the soil themselves, and then try that ingredient in a dish. There will also be cooking demonstrations, face painting stations and, stalls with delicious, healthy snacks, and a range of other entertainment.
- Food Truck Stop Southbank (Fri 31 Mar – Sun 2 Apr) – Our city’s best food trucks, handpicked by Beatbox Kitchen’s Raph Rashid, will converge along the Yarra, bringing with them their traffic-stopping fare plus a special dish they’ve created just for the Festival.
- Sweet Alley (Fri 31 Mar – Sun 2 Apr) – artisan ice-creams, chocolates, pastries and doughnuts, or keep it cleaner with fruity flavours, raw desserts and frozen yoghurts.
- Crown Live Pizza Festival Southbank (Fri 31 Mar – Sun 2 Apr) – Discover elements of the winemaking process, partake in a pizza making Masterclass with Gradi’s Johnny Di Francesco and enjoy the live music and entertainment.
- Fed in French Federation Square (Fri 31 Mar – Sun 2 Apr) – showcasing French fare from all regions of France including take home as well as eat on the spot.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Coburg Food Race (Fri 31 Mar – Sat 8 Apr) – Race around Coburg, competing against other teams in search of key ingredients before a shared lunch at the end of the race.
- South East Asia Festival Carlton (Sat 8 Apr – Sun 9 Apr) – unites communities from Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam by sharing their culinary and cultural heritage through food, music and dance.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Everything Old is New Again Toorak (Sat 2 Apr) – The Country Women’s Association of Victoria and Melbourne Farmers Markets collaborate to bring the people and the produce of Victoria together for a day of picnic grazing, with old skills to learn and new things to taste.
- Dandenong World Fare (Sun 2 Apr) – Circumnavigate the globe at this enchanting “food fare” extravaganza. Experience the delicious abundance and tempting aromas of global cuisines and entertainment inspired by some of the world’s most exciting cultures.
- Kids in the Kitchen – Healthy Burgers Grosvenor Hotel (Tue 6 Apr – Thu 8 Apr) – hands-on burger class to encourage nutritious eating amongst children.
- Farm Food Fun Green Olive at Red Hill (Sat 8 Apr) – The farm stage will be teeming with local farmers ready to share their secrets, the olive grove will transform miraculously into a ‘book grove’ with books specially chosen for young bookworms to read and be read to, we’ll be teaching basic farm skills and showcasing our best gardening tricks…plus on the lawn there will be kids’ activities galore!
- Venetian Carnivale Hawthorn (Sat 8 Apr) – Traditional Carnivale food and wines, street artists, lively entertainment, dancing classes.
- HarvEast Eastland (Sun 9 Apr) – one-day food and wine event showcasing chefs, producers and suppliers from the local region.
- Yarra Valley Wine and Food Festival (Sat 1 Apr – Sun 2 Apr) – Yarra Valley’s finest food producers, top Melbourne food trucks, tutored tastings by award-winning winemakers, live music and entertainment. Plus even more special activities for the kids on Sunday’s Family Day.
- Pigs Pots and Pinots Footscray (Sat 1 Apr) – Western Plains pigs, pots from Footscray’s own West City Brewers and pinot from Shadowfax, all set to the soundtrack of local bands and fun family festival.