Just one week to Christmas – are you counting down for some rest and relaxation or panicking about last minute gifts?
If it’s the latter check out the gorgeous Aussie-styled toys and homewares from Make Me Iconic or give the gift of experience with the best memberships for Melbourne families.
This summer will be my first school holidays with both kids with me full time, so in January I’ll also be less active on the blog but still hanging out on social media!
Have a safe, restful and merry break.
- MPavilion (Fri 16 Dec – Feb 2017) – An event hub, a meeting place and an invitation to experiment, each MPavilion brings creative collaborators together to present a free, four-month program of talks, workshops, performances and installations from October to February.
- Christmas Projection Show (Fri 16 Dec – Sun 25 Dec) – This Christmas will see City of Melbourne’s annual Christmas Projection Show at Melbourne Town Hall extend to Fed Square, decorating the Swanston Street facades with festive cheer.
- Christmas Cringe at Melbourne Central (Fri 16 Dec – Sat 24 Dec) – Deck yourself in Christmas jumpers and so-bad-they’re-good accessories, snap a pic in front of the classic Christmas backdrops, and share them with your friends and family on social media using the #ChristmasCringe hashtag. On 30 November is Melbourne Central is also hosting Christmas Shop the City with 12-hours of offers and events from 10am to 10pm.
- Gingerbread Village by Epicure (Fri 16 Dec – Sat 24 Dec) – Admire iconic Melbourne landmarks and locations all made out of gingerbread. Entry is by nominal gold coin donation and all proceeds go to the Royal Children’s Hospital. FULL REVIEW.
- QV Outdoor Cinema (Fri 16 Dec – Sun 26 Feb) – live entertainment, free cocktails, special food, red carpets, instafamous dogs, charity screenings, a film festival and more.
- Viktor & Rolf For Kids NGV (Fri 15 Dec – Sun 26 Feb) – interactive children’s gallery exhibition developed by designers Viktor & Rolf. FULL REVIEW.
- NGV Car Wash (Fri 16 Dec – April 2017) – enjoy a neon pink installation in the sculpture garden inspired by a car wash. FULL REVIEW.
- Smurfs Exhibition Harbour Town (Fri 16 Dec – Sat 24 Dec) – Meet Smurfette, Lazy Smurf, Clumsy Smurf, Papa Smurf, Painter Smurf and many more.
- Christmas Square (Fri 16 Dec – Sun 25 Dec) – Discover nutcracker soldiers, interactive candy canes and get a free photo with Santa. As part of the TAC’s #BePresent campaign, a giant interactive present will find a home in Christmas Square. Deck yourself out in festive decorations for a free, personalised photo and Christmas card!
- Crown’s Christmas Spectacular (Fri 16 Dec – Sun 1 Jan 2017) – Watch the Crown Towers Atrium come alive with our magnificent Christmas tree and a spectacular lighting and musical display. Shows begin every 30 minutes. Plus, get a free photo with Santa from 12-6pm until 24 December.
- Christmas at the Old Treasury (Fri 16 Dec – Thu 5 Jan) – The Maynard family’s basement home is decorated in period-appropriate 1920s decorations, some lovingly handmade just as mother would do.
- Myer Christmas Windows (Fri 16 Dec – Thu 5 Jan 2017) – The 61st Myer Christmas windows is based on the book ‘One Christmas Eve’ with a particularly Melbourne and Australian flavour. FULL REVIEW.
- Myer Giftorium and Santaland (Fri 15 Dec- Thu 5 Jan 2017) – Your one-stop Christmas shop plus meet Santa and ride on his train.
- Santa’s Christmas Spectacular (Fri 16 Dec – Sun 18 Dec) – See the crazy acrobatic elves get themselves into all sorts of mischief in Santa’s Toy Workshop. FULL REVIEW.
- Christmas Village Wonderland (Fri 16 Dec – Sun 18 Dec) – Live shows at the Spiegeltent, Christmas markets, live entertainment, festive food and more.
- Recycled Christmas (Fri 16 Dec – 13 Jan 2017) – See the Galleria Shopping Centre’s Christmas display, with decorations all made of materials recycled off the site.
- QV Outdoor Cinema (Fri 16 Dec – Sun 26 Feb 2017) – It is back for a second season with more dog friendly screenings, themed weeks and pre film entertainment.
- Santa’s Circus Spectacular at Wonderland Fun Park (Fri 16 Dec – Sun 18 Dec) – See the crazy acrobatic elves get themselves into all sorts of mischief in Santa’s Toy Workshop. The North Pole with snow falls daily and the one and only talking tree complete with Santa’s Mailbox to post those special letters.
- Carols on Collins (Fri 16 Dec – Wed 21 Dec) – Hear the soaring voices of the Australian Girls Choir, Glee Club, singers from Citi-opera and special guests as they serenade you with Christmas carols in Christmas Square.
- Craft Christmas Market (Sat 17 Dec) – Craft’s Christmas Market gathers the best in ethical, independent and Melbourne-made craft and design.
- Dog Meet with Tom and Captain (Sun 18 Dec) – Join dog-walking adventurers Tom + Captain for a tour of Melbourne—as experienced by our four-legged friends.
- Fed Square’s Festive Fair (Sun 18 Dec) – Bring the family to Fed Square for a relaxing Sunday of shopping, food and entertainment.
- Flemington Racecourse Christmas Market (Sun 18 Dec) – Enjoy the festive atmosphere with live music, Santa visits, street style market food and plenty of lawn space to relax and take it all in.
- Giggle & Hoot Magical Christmas (Tue 20 Dec – Wed 21 Dec) – Starring Jimmy Giggle, Hoot, Hootabelle, Gigglefangs, Pirate Hootbeard and of course…Hootoclaws and his singing and dancing Elves, Giggle & Hoot’s Magical Christmas promises to be the most….well magical show of the season.
- A Merry Market Christmas (Fri 23 Dec) – Open until 9pm for the first time in the Market’s history, you’ll be greeted by Santa and his elves and will enjoy roaming entertainment, live music and interactive kids activities throughout the day.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Barkly Square Open Air Cinema (Fri 16 Dec) – Nestled into Barkly Square’s quaint laneway precinct, the silent cinema will see an eclectic mix of family-friendly, arthouse and modern favourites.
- Nestling (Fri 16 Dec – Sat 17 Dec) – child-friendly launch of new range of artworks (from 14 different artists) aimed at children and some really fun foam floor tiles!
- Santa’s Break Down Under (Fri 16 Dec – Sun 18 Dec) – Under the starry night sky, joined by acrobats and daring aerialists, a crane truck and blasts of fire and ice, spans an open-air Christmas show like no other.
- Coburg Night Market (Fri 16 Dec) – food trucks, artisan crafts, live music and dance sessions every Friday.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Westfield Knox Christmas Twilight Market (Fri 16 Dec) – 35 stalls of artisan products, music, kids craft.
- Santa’s Sand Land Frankston (Fri 16 Dec – Fri 23 Dec) – special 8 day event held inside Sand Sculpting Australia.
- South Melbourne Market Christmas (Fri 16 Dec – Sat 24 Dec) – gingerbread decorating, Santa visits, carols.
- Greater Dandenong Carols by Candlelight (Fri 16 Dec) – live music and entertainment, appearance by Santa and community food stalls.
- Santa’s Magical Kingdom (Fri 16 Dec – Tue 23 Dec) – magical Christmas walk-through wonderland, Snow Castle and Activity Land, Christmas craft area, Ferris Wheel, Santa’s Sleigh Ride and Australia’s largest super slide. FULL REVIEW.
- Berwick Christmas Carols (Sat 17 Dec) – Celebrate christmas with your family and friends at the Berwick Christmas Carols.
- Carols at Como Park (Sun 18 Dec) – The inimitable Rhonda Burchmore hosts Melbourne’s much-loved carols concert, featuring a stellar line up of performers. Bring along a picnic and celebrate Christmas under the stars with a spectacular riverside fireworks display.
- Giggle & Hoot Magical Christmas Frankston (Mon 10 Dec) – Starring Jimmy Giggle, Hoot, Hootabelle, Gigglefangs, Pirate Hootbeard and of course…Hootoclaws and his singing and dancing Elves, Giggle & Hoot’s Magical Christmas promises to be the most….well magical show of the season.
- Habitots Christmas workshops (Mon 19 Dec – Wed 21 Dec) – Christmas cookie decorating and gingerbread house making.
- Carols in Colour Knox (Wed 21 Dec) – Dress in white and throw coloured holi-powder high into the sky; timed to the crescendo of your most loved Christmas carols and songs.
- Manningham Carols by Candlelight (Fri 16 Dec) – free children’s activities, stage entertainment and a special visit from Santa and grand finale fireworks.
- Warrandyte Community Carols (Sat 17 Dec) – carols, animal farm, food trucks, Santa.
- Camberwell Christmas Family Day (Sat 17 Dec) – roving performers, live music, rooftop yoga, Santa’s helpers handing out balloons.
- Whitehorse Carols (Sat 17 Dec) – carols, kids entertainment, Santa.
- Carols in the Park Balwyn North (Sat 17 Dec) – Father Christmas arrives in Family Time (6-7:30pm) and Carols start at 7:30pm and end with a BANG – a spectacular fireworks display.
- Santa’s Workshops Stocklands The Pines (Sat 17 Dec) – Get creative with Santa’s friends at our special Christmas workshops for kids.
- Heide Makers Market (Sat 17 Dec) – eclectic mix of art, design and handcrafted goods.
- Rochford Wines Family Christmas Day (Sun 18 Dec) – Celebrate this Christmas with the family at Rochford Wines in the Yarra Valley with a FREE family entertainment day, featuring local entertainment by Anthony Gerace and his band, acts from GFC Karate and Careen Dance Studio along with carols from The Decibelles, and of course a visit from Santa!
- KFC Big Bash League at MCG (Tue 20 Dec) – BBL matches are fast-paced, with non-stop entertainment on and off the field, all taking place in a safe, fun and friendly atmosphere.
- Moonlit Markets Eastland (Thu 22 Dec) – covetable art, fashion, homewares and precious kids finds. Dance beneath the stars to a lineup of live entertainment, before sampling the selection of street food on offer.
- Christmas Fridays in Werribee City Centre (Fri 16 Dec) – face painting, local music and kids workshops.
- Twilight Movies Under the Stars (Fri 16 Dec) – enjoy a free family-friendly movie as part of Maribyrnong City Council’s Festive Season program.
- Christmas Wunderland Highpoint (Fri 16 Dec – Sat 24 Dec) – free interactive sensory experience for the festive season. FULL REVIEW.
- Christmas Art & Craft Market (Fri 16 Dec – Thu 22 Dec) – Lots of last minute Christmas presents.
- Christmas window at Post Industrial Design (Fri 16 Dec – Jan 2017) – Jos Van Hulsen’s annual Christmas window.
- Christmas Cheer Twilight Market (Fri 16 Dec) – Come along for a FUN night out with friend. Enjoy some music and catching up, while you Sip on some bubbles and Shop for those last minute gifts.
- Yarraville Gardens Carols (Sat 17 Dec) – MC William McInnes, a guest appearance by Santa and a show stopping fireworks display.
- Altona Meadows Carols By Candlelight (Sat 17 Dec) – Join in the spirit of Christmas with song
- Kensington Market (Sun 18 Dec) – local arts and craft at monthly market.
- Altona Miniature Railway public day (Sun 18 Dec) – Every third Sunday of the month the Altona Miniature Railway is opened to members of the public and members take kids and adults on rides on the mini steam and diesel engines.
- Williamstown Carols By Candlelight (Sun 18 Dec) – Join in the spirit of Christmas with song.